Albums
Due date: June 26, 2020
Withdraw date: just let me know before the due date
Number of cards: 3:3 or 6:6, if more than 7 players
Number of players: 20
Media: hand drawn/painted, collage, mixed media

Amabie Yokai!
amabie-original.jpg

Lately, the internet has been blowing up with images of the Amabie, a Japanese Yokai that is said to ward off epidemics. According to a legend from the 1800s, the Amabie appeared off the coast of Kumamoto, Japan, in the form of a mermaid-type creature with 3 legs, a beak, and long hair. The amabie, a yokai (Japanese folklore spirit), told the people that they would have bountiful crops. As it returned to the sea, it said "If an epidemic occurs, draw a picture of me and show it to everyone." In the current pandemic, many artists on instagram, twitter, and deviantart have been sharing hope and good wishes with images of the Amabie. The Japanese government has recently adopted it in some of their anti-Covid-19 campaigns. It would be nice to share some Amabie pictures among ourselves, even if you don't believe the legend! The Amabie from the picture above is the original one that appeared in the newspaper in the 1800s. If you need some inspiration, search #amabie, #amabiechallenge, on instagram or Twitter and also click the related Japanese hashtags.

Card Requirements: Please read carefully
1. Each card should feature your version of the Amabie- a Japanese yokai with 3 legs, long hair, and a beak. It's body is also said to have scales, but scales are optional for your Amabie.
2. DO NOT submit cards that have a pre-printed Amabie that you took from another source. For example, if you printed off the original Amabie above and glued it on a card, it would be returned to you, even if you embellished it. If you stamped, drew, or collaged an Amabie of your own, the card would be perfect for this swap.
3. Keep cards flat, fibres should be fine, but no thick or metal embellishments!
4. All cards should be 2.5" x 3.5" with straight edges
5. Include your username, real name, and location on the back of your cards
6. Please submit only cards that you would love to receive in return!

Mailing & Swapping Out:
1. I will be swapping apparent effort for apparent effort cards, medium for medium where possible
2. PM me for my address when ready to mail. I moved in 2018.
3. No cards/communication by swap due date will result in NEUTRAL iTrader
4. Host cards are loved and treasured but not required to play.
5. Mailing:
Canadian players: 1 “P” ($0.92) stamp for 3 cards, $1.30 or 2 "P" stamps for 6 cards
US players: $1 USD (or $1.30 in CDN postage) for 3 cards, $2 USD for 6 cards (or $1.94 in CDN postage)
International players: $2 USD for 3 cards, $3 USD for 6 cards. If you are outside North America and need help with postage, please pm me and we can work something out.
If it turns out your cards don't need all the stamps, I will return the excess postage.
6. Send a large self-addressed label or self-addressed business sized envelope for your returns
**If you send Canadian stamps, be sure that they have not been used (ie. No stamps that missed cancellation on another envie.)
7. Mail in Canada can take a long time, especially during the Covid-19 crisis. Allow 14-20 days outside of Canada, 5-7 within Canada. Mail between Canada and the USA remains fairly normal, but Europe, Australia, and Asia are very long as there are fewer flights.
8. Please mail promptly as I plan to swap the cards the evening of June 26 (late cards will be returned unswapped).

More information about the amabie can be found here:
This was the first site I learned about it: Spoon-Tamago: amabie
Japan Times: Japanese monster goes viral
My Amabie Pinterest Board

Who wants to play?!
0. smallgirl
1. pancake machine- arrived!!
2. snager-arrived!!
3. Suzi-arrived!!
4. poonwugget- arrived!!

Last edited:
I like him! I have been Googling images, but I haven’t tried to do any just yet..... I see lots of good possibilities though.

I think it's super cute and open to a lot of interpretations! I've been seeing a lot on pintrest and instagram.

I was thinking that a great amabie might be done in the style of Maurice Sendak, like the Wild Things. I may try to attempt this!

Sorry, I am going to have to drop out.
Nothing is working for me.
My Amabie Muse is apparently busy elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom