Friend of AFA
Welcome Committee
Media
Albums
Due Date: July 20
Signup/Withdrawal Date: July 14
Number of Cards: 3/3 or 6/6
Number of Players: Unlimited
Media: Open - hd/hp; collage; mixed media (NO digital or photography); Tiny stickers ok if not the main focus

Images of our American Southwest fascinate many artists. Regionally, this area includes more states than I would have thought, probably because the classic Southwest images don’t seem to apply to all the states named. (To my mind, they apply mostly to Arizona and New Mexico).

This is an Open Media Swap for any kind of traditional Southwest image that comes to mind. Some examples are: cacti; cactus flower; roadrunner; quails; jackrabbits; coyote; sunsets and sunrises; Kokopelli; desert landscapes; kachinas; etc. etc.! Some examples are posted below. Any embellishments should be relatively flat, so we don’t have mailing issues.

Sorry, but I would really prefer NOT TO SEE snakes or scorpions - there are so many other images to choose from. Please post pictures of finished cards if you can, and enjoy the creating process!

GUIDELINES and MAILING:
- Please PM me for my address when cards are ready to mail.
- Please write your username, real name, and swap title on the back of each card.
- Place each 2 1/2” x 3 1/2” card in its own plastic sleeve, and spread evenly within the envelope, using Washi or Painters tape.
- USA players, please include your address label plus one Forever stamp. I will provide envelopes.
- International players, please enclose your address label plus $1 USA or a Global Forever stamp.
- An extra “host card” is always appreciated, but never necessary to play.
- When returns are received, please be sure to leave iTrader for your host and “You Rock” points for those who created your returns.

Participants:

1. An. M. Sudyka - RECEIVED
2. Elliejaybird - RECEIVED
3. Plumhill2001 - RECEIVED
4. Wolf_Moon - RECEIVED
5. Jo.on.the.go - RECEIVED
6. Fandanie - RECEIVED
7. Smallgirl - RECEIVED
8. Art_junkie - RECEIVED
9. Sarat - RECEIVED
10. Bluevioletz - RECEIVED
11. Jodi - RECEIVED
12. Bluegreener - RECEIVED
13. Cleopatra - RECEIVED
14. CastleQueen5 - RECEIVED
15. Artbymee - RECEIVED
16. JenUrebel - RECEIVED
17. Beaksalot - RECEIVED
18. JeffWoodArt - RECEIVED
19. Ancient Planter - RECEIVED

Last edited:
  • Staff
Here are some sample cards. The cactus is by Beverley, and the other two are by me (CiCi).

I absolutely love kachinas and Southwest pottery. I've always dreamed of visiting New Mexico and Arizona, especially to visit the Navajo Nation.

Would a burro be appropriate for this swap? I love burros too! I will lurk and see what I can come up with. :)

• Staff
Smallgirl, you are surely welcome to lurk, and I am hoping you can make cards you like, and eventually sign up. I seem to recall you posting somewhere that you would someday like to host a Kachina Swap. So I thought you might be interested. And burros are so cute! I would definitely consider them a Southwest animal. Hope to see you back here soon!

Come join us in this colorful and artistic theme!

I'm gonna lurk too. Considering my atc collections include adobes, cactus/desert, kokopelli and cowskulls I really should join but I'll wait for now.

Here is another card from me, done in watercolors. Hope we get more players!

Last edited:
CiCi, I'm unsure about the rule about no photos. For collage we often clip photos out of magazines. Are those okay if used as one element on the card? In my case, a local person took a trip to the southwest and took pics of desert landscapes which were printed in our paper. I was hoping to be able to use them for something. Just let me know if they wouldn't be okay. I'm sure I can use them somewhere eventually. Really pretty scenery. Lurking! ;)

Lisa, photos cut from magazines or any print or copy of a photograph would be fine. Like you say, they are often used in collage. I’m actually not sure what other hosts mean when they say “no photos”, but for me it’s just no actual glossy photographs. I’m sure your images are beautiful!

Thanks for checking us out, Sarat, hope you can eventually join!

Back
Top Bottom