Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Letís Talk Color!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think a lot of our color names are decided by the fashion industry. I think that’s how teal became the new turquoise. I also think the color we now know as peach (a pale coral color) came from the fashion industry. Are hunter green and forest green the same? Seafoam and sage?
    Now Hosting: Southwest Images ATC Swap; Pink Poodles ATC Swap

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    That color name theory sounds probable to me. And I am glad you liked my story. It was one reason I brought up my love of those colors. I think another reason I always loved red is I love red roses and for many years when I was young I had a thing for hearts. I was always drawing hearts on my folders and book covers. Remember making paperbag book covers for all your school books?
    New Chat thread. Here's the link, spread the word!
    ... i S o L a T i O n...F u N ....What are you working on?
    Tags are chat, create, isolation boredom busters, learn, share ideas
    ~ JOURNAL CHAT(and scrapbook) ~
    MY AVAILABLES ATCs I may also have available ATCoins

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I do! And doodling on them too.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/show...-June-1st-2015 This swap from four years ago hosted by TF Balding was a really good one for me because of her color combo list.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a fun swap - just a little before I joined AFA. Several months ago, I hosted a similar one. I called it Choose a Theme (couldn’t say Pick a Theme because that’s a PAT). There was a column to choose from for the theme of the card, and a second column to choose a color scheme from. It was pretty fun.

6. Likes Loladog liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my goodness Linda! Nooo!
    :-)

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Oh my goodness Linda! Nooo!
    I'm thinking this is for the cake? Good thing birthdays around our home were informal. My mom was a single mom most of our childhood. We lived in apartments and parties were the four of us (siblings) just telling the other neighborhood kids and seeing who turned up for cake and ice cream. It was kids we saw every day so no big deal. Usually the only gift was from mom.

In fact for my sweet sixteen my mom gave me a choice of a party or a new outfit. I got this cool two piece red corduroy vest and gauchos pants. Loved it.

Speaking of what we wore and back on the color theme. Did any of you ever get into wearing Neon colors? I remember having neon pink, blue and green tube tops and a couple neon belts.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have something else to share. I have not done any coloring in it. I always have too much on plate, but it was a gift from my son. This book https://www.amazon.com/Colormorphia-.../dp/0593083784 I love it because it has colored samples of a lot of the pages with critiques about why the colors worked. The link is an amazon ad, but if you do the "look inside" after the line coloring pages are many of the beautiful colored samples.

10. Likes Loladog liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, a discussion of why the colors worked would really be educational! And maybe why certain colors wouldn’t work as well. One thing that I learned about mixing colors a few years ago is the importance of knowing which are cool colors and which are warm. What I hadn’t considered is that many colors on the cool side of the color wheel do actually have some warm tones in them, and vice versa. The example I was given is trying to mix red and blue to make purple. If your red has any orange in it at all, and/or your blue is “warmed” a bit with a touch of green, then the purple you get will be dull and a bit muddy looking. To get a vibrant violet/purple color, the red should be a “blue-red”, just shy of being called wine, kind of like a cherry red. And the blue needs to not have any green in it at all, just a pure, cool-toned blue. Then the cool tones are all compatible and your purple should be an attractive shade. It might be a little difficult to explain properly, but I really found the concept helpful.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a little late to this conversation because of a busy schedule. I don't think I really have a favorite color because I love them all. I think I am a tye dye type of girl who likes sparkles and bling too. I guess if I had to narrow it down I would say aquamarine and teal shades. But actually when I look in my closet I see a ton of red shirts and yellow too. There are certain color combinations I love together though like....
    red/black/gold
    blue/purple/silver
    brown/orange/yellow
    Right now I really love combining water color backgrounds with acrylic painted images on top.
    Crafting is my passion!!!

13. Likes miss liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do that too, acrylic images painted over watercolor backgrounds. Of course, it depends on what it is I’m painting. I like how you included gold and silver in your color combo list. I’ve always thought that certain colors go better with gold accents and others look best with silver. I’m sure that’s just a personal opinion, and others certainly may disagree. If I was wearing pink and wanted to accessorize with gold or silver, I think silver is best with pink. I think gold is beautiful with emerald or kelly green. And either silver or gold go great with royal blue. Just my opinion!

15. Likes Loladog, Mushu liked this post
    Loladog is offline I got my creativity from my Father
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think youíre right CIci I have been trying to get back into watercolor and been reading a lot of color theory. And Iíve been studying some about Stephen Quiller And even bought a Quiller watercolor palette.... There are warm and cool of every color depending on the placement on the palatte..... For example you can have a cool red which leans more towards blue or a warm read that leans more toward orange. Very interesting.
    Loladog
    Lord, teach me what I cannot see Job 34:32...Be encouraged
    http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gall...rchcatidsuri=4

17. Likes Mushu liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it is interesting. You can go along for quite a while assuming all the colors on the cool half of the color wheel are cool, and everything on the warm half is strictly warm. It came as a surprise when I realized (or maybe it was pointed out to me) that there could be cool reds and warm blues.

19. Likes Mushu liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also have been reading and watching videos about color theory. I am having a blast with watercolors lately. I have been watching quite a bit of videos on properly mixing watercolors so that don't look like a muddy mess when painting a scene. Although if I do mess up I don't believe in throwing a piece out because of the price of the good cotton watercolor paper is kind of expensive. I turn my mess-ups into abstracts or backgrounds for mixed media. I bought a palette with 12 pans of Schmincke watercolors because the colors are intense. My daughter bought me Paul Ruben watercolors on Amazon and they have 36 pretty pearly colors.
    Crafting is my passion!!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Mushu, for sharing those product names. I like knowing that there are intense watercolors out there - I know some can be pretty weak in color value.

DID YOU KNOW- The color most people refer to as “robin’s egg blue” may be inaccurate? I was lucky enough to be “chosen” by a robin couple to have their nest built on the roof support boards of my front porch. One day when they briefly left the nest, I climbed a ladder to get a look at their eggs. What a happy surprise, they were the most beautiful vibrant turquoise blue! Just like the turquoise stone! Not at all the pale aqua color that most people think of when they hear “robin’s egg blue”.

22. Likes Mushu liked this post