Albums
Due date: December 1, 2020
Withdraw date: just let me know before the due date
Number of cards: 3:3 or 6:6, if more than 7 players
Number of players: 20
Media: hand drawn/painted, collage, mixed media

Rupert Bear is 100 Years Old!

Rupert-1.jpg
This beloved British bear first appeared in the Daily Express on November 8, 1920. Rupert, easily recognizable in his red jumper and yellow checkered scarf and trousers, lives with an assortment of friends in the fictional village of Nutwood, and has enjoyed many adventures. Rupert stories are published in the popular "Rupert Annual" each year and 90s kids like me will remember Rupert Bear cartoons on YTV in Canada and Nickelodeon in the US.

Card Requirements: Please read carefully
1. Each card should feature Rupert Bear, or one of his "chums" (friends) like Bill Badger, Podgy Pig, Edward Trunk, Pong Ping Peke, or another character from Rupert stories, or a group of characters in a scene. Brief character list link
2. Feel free to use your own style, but please keep your cards light and happy (no zombie Ruperts hahaha).
3. PLEASE DO NOT CUT UP real Rupert books to make collages. Normally, I am totally okay with reusing books in collage, but Rupert books and adventure comics are very special (some are extremely valuable even in bad condition) so I ask that you draw, paint, stamp, and/or print, scan/photocopy for collage materials instead.
4. Please avoid images that could be considered culturally insensitive to modern standards. It is well known that some Rupert stories from the 1940s to 1960s contain racist caricatures and language that are not acceptable in 2020.
5. Keep cards flat, fibres should be fine, but no thick or metal embellishments!
6. All cards should be 2.5" x 3.5" with straight edges
7. Include your username, real name, and location on the back of your cards
8. Please submit only cards that you would love to receive in return!

Mailing & Swapping Out:
1. I will be swapping apparent effort for apparent effort cards
2. PM me for my address when ready to mail. I moved in 2018.
3. No cards/communication by swap due date will result in NEUTRAL iTrader
4. Host cards are loved and treasured but not required to play.
5. Mailing:
Canadian players: 1 “P” ($0.92) stamp
US players: $1 USD (or $1.30 in CDN postage)
International players: $2 USD. If you are outside North America and need help with postage, please pm me and we can work something out.
6. Send a large self-addressed label or self-addressed business sized envelope for your returns
**If you send Canadian stamps, be sure that they have not been used (ie. No stamps that missed cancellation on another envie.)
7. Mail in Canada can take a long time, especially during the Covid-19 crisis. Allow 14-20 days outside of Canada (Europe and USA), 30 days Australia, 5-7 within Canada.
8. Please mail promptly as I plan to swap the cards the evening of Dec 1 (late cards will be returned unswapped).

Rupert art made for me in the Profile PAT by BexMadeMe; Bill Badger by the dithespy; Rupert and the stars collage by nanvan
Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 7.01.10 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-09-22 at 7.02.23 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-09-23 at 3.07.39 PM.jpg

Who wants to play?!

1. Smallgirl
2. Essy-arrived!
3. Halogen-arrived!
4. dithespy-arrived!
5. aginghippychic-arrived!
6. Nicky-arrived!

Last edited:
Feel free to lurk, nanvan and join me if you can! I hope there are other Rupert fans are out there somewhere...

Hoping to find some people that like Rupert! He's a cute character, even if you did not grow up with him!

I'm a fan for about 5 years now. I love many bear characters like Paddington, The Three Bears, Winnie the Pooh, Little Bear, Beezy Bear (dIisney character), etc. Count me in please, the due date works for me :)

Welcome Halogen! That's fantastic! I actually wrote a paper in my undergrad about how Rupert books are a perfect teaching tool for reading, because each page can be read 4 different ways (pictures only, headline on the top, rhyming couplets, or full text) depending on the level of the child.

@smallgirl that's exactly how my dad did it with me! When I was learning to read I just had to do the titles while he read poem+prose, then when I got a little better I did the couplets. Works really well to get out of the trap of any book I could potentially read being too boring for me to want to. (My favourite story was Lord of the Rings when I was in Kindergarten so motivating me to read A is for Apple type books was a tough one hahaha)

They're also the same books my dad learned to read with growing up as a pony-riding thatched-cottage-living little British boy which really gives a sense of how long theyve been around for!

That is so cool! My Grandad gave me my first Rupert book because his mom, who was from the UK, used to give them to my uncles. I grew up with Rupert books being read to me by my Dad and started collecting the old ones when I was a teenager! I still get the annual every Christmas even though I'm an adult and don't have kids! Hahaha.

Happy Sunday, everyone! Fun Rupert fact: in his original books from the 1920s, his fur was brown, scarf and trousers grey, and jumper blue!

Happy Monday everyone! I ordered a set of these delightful Rupert Bear postage stamps from England through Royal Mail. They were kind of expensive, but I figured since it's only once in 100 years and I couldn't go on holidays this year, I'd buy myself a present (I've been using that excuse a lot lately :( )Rupert Bear Stamps Royal Mail

Back
Top Bottom