Media
Albums
Swap Due Date – Thursday, February 4th, 2021
Signup/withdraw Date – None; please just communicate
Number of Cards - 3 for 3
Number of Participants – Unlimited
Media – Mixed Media Collage
Theme – The Silent Era

Years ago, I conducted a work-related research project on the films that had been created in and around my town of Yuma, AZ. My research led me to a book titled, “Dark Lady of the Silents,” which was a biography of silent film star Miriam Cooper. Her book was a fascinating look at the early silent film industry and I was hooked! For this swap, we will celebrate the silent film era by creating cards that feature silent film stars or their films. Each card must include either a still from a silent film or an image of a silent film star.

Card Guidelines:
1. Each card must be the standard ATC size of 2.5 x 3.5 inches.
2. Each card must be original and unique. Please don’t send in cards that you’ve swapped/traded in the past or plan on replicating for swapping/trading in the future.
3. Any embellishments must be relatively flat and lightweight.
4. Please send in only work that you have put thought, time, and effort into. Make sure that you are swapping a card you would be happy to receive.
5. Please make sure that cards have a sturdy background and earn the name “card.”
6. Each card must be in an individual plastic sleeve (please no connecting photo album sleeves without also including individual sleeves).
7. Each card should be labeled with the swap name, your username, your real name, date of creation, and your location.

Mailing Guidelines:
1. Please mail cards in a business sized envelope, spreading the cards over the space of the envelope.
2. If you tape your cards together or onto a sturdy background when mailing, please use an easy-release tape such as painter’s tape or washi tape. I don’t want anyone’s beautiful artwork to be damaged by tape.
3. Please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for your return cards.
4. If you are mailing from the U.S., one Forever stamp should cover the cost of returns.
5. If you are mailing internationally, please provide one of the following for your returns:
a. One U.S. Forever stamp.
b. One well-concealed $1 bill.
c. $1 payment via PayPal.

*When you are ready to mail your cards, please just private message me for my address. If you have it from an earlier swap, it has not changed.
*iTraders will be given when cards are received by me.
*Please note that cards must be received by the due date. No cards and no communication will result in neutral iTrader. You may withdraw any time before the due date.
*A host card would be greatly appreciated and loved, but is never required. :)

Here's a card I created for a '20s swap, but which would fit for this one as well. Hope it inspires you!
View attachment 219422

Who would like to play?
0. TSMarie
1. Monroy28 - Received! You Rock!
2. Withdrew
3. DocJ29
4. dithespy - Received! You Rock!
5. RaineyDay - Received! You Rock!
6. pancake machine - Received! You Rock!
7. KreationbyKris - Received! You Rock!
8. ucallmekat - Received! You Rock!
9. huddlestonmollie - Received! You Rock!
10. nanvan - Received! You Rock!
11. Betsyg - Received! You Rock!

Last edited:
Intriguing theme! So since all the Silent films were in black and white, I’m assuming our color comes in with a background, border edging, or lettering, right? For now I’m lurking.

Intriguing theme! So since all the Silent films were in black and white, I’m assuming our color comes in with a background, border edging, or lettering, right? For now I’m lurking.

Absolutely, CiCi! Color could come from backgrounds, accoutrements, or even from gently colorized black and white images.

I'm with Cici on this, very intriguing. Hope you get lots of takers! I'll go into the lurk column. I've got a couple of ideas.

I'll have to think about where to find images. I take it the only requirement is that it has to be a silent film. Is it okay if a film isn't from Hollywood?

Last edited:
Lurking! One of my favorite settings for historical fiction! If you are in the market for a fun horror/fantasy/historical novel set in Hollywood on the 1920s, I recommend Barbara Hambly’s Bride of the Rat God.

I'm with Cici on this, very intriguing. Hope you get lots of takers! I'll go into the lurk column. I've got a couple of ideas.

I'll have to think about where to find images. I take it the only requirement is that it has to be a silent film. Is it okay if a film isn't Hollywood of hollywood?

Welcome to the lurkers' couch, pancake machine! It does not have to be a film from Hollywood. It could also be a foreign silent film. Is that what you meant?

Lurking! One of my favorite settings for historical fiction! If you are in the market for a fun horror/fantasy/historical novel set in Hollywood on the 1920s, I recommend Barbara Hambly’s Bride of the Rat God.

Welcome to the lurkers' couch, Betsyg! I'll have to look up that book. I think the last novel that I read that took place in this era/setting was The Chaperone. I really enjoyed it. I saw that they made it into a film, but I have never watched it. I was annoyed that they didn't even keep the main character's name the same.

Back
Top Bottom