The Silent Era Swap, Mixed Media Collage, Due Feb. 4th, 2021

Dithespy, I love the look of your cards! You make me want to leap off the lurkers couch, but I’m really not quite ready yet. I knew all those names but Gertrude, now I want to look her up.

Go ahead and move me off the lurker's couch and into the swap please. I've gotten 2 done.

Cabinet of Dr. Caligar (1920) - this film is an early German Expressionist horror film. Really it is the sets that rule. So creative and interesting. I tried to capture one of the sets.
1_20201129_175251_copy_918x1223.jpg

Jirokichi the Rat (1931) - very few Japanese silent films still exist. Most were lost either in the 1920s during the Kanto Earthquake or after the war. Japanese silent film is really interesting in that they used a benshi accompaniment. Basically, this derives from Kabuki and is kind of like a narrator.
1_20201129_175218_copy_918x640.jpg

Go ahead and move me off the lurker's couch and into the swap please. I've gotten 2 done.

Cabinet of Dr. Caligar (1920) - this film is an early German Expressionist horror film. Really it is the sets that rule. So creative and interesting. I tried to capture one of the sets.
View attachment 219547

Jirokichi the Rat (1931) - very few Japanese silent films still exist. Most were lost either in the 1920s during the Kanto Earthquake or after the war. Japanese silent film is really interesting in that they used a benshi accompaniment. Basically, this derives from Kabuki and is kind of like a narrator.
View attachment 219546

Great news, pancake machine! I'll get you signed up--and thanks for sharing your wonderful cards!

Loving what I see from dithespy and pancake machine - really makes me want to sign up! But I shall continue to lurk while seeing what I can come up with. I'd like to do some focused on Flying A Studios, which was the studio in my hometown of Santa Barbara. At one point they were one of the largest movie studios in the world and Mary Miles Minter was their big star. Of course they were long gone by the time I came along, but there were a couple of buildings still around that those of us with an interest always knew were the last remaining parts of the old movie studio.

Loving what I see from dithespy and pancake machine - really makes me want to sign up! But I shall continue to lurk while seeing what I can come up with. I'd like to do some focused on Flying A Studios, which was the studio in my hometown of Santa Barbara. At one point they were one of the largest movie studios in the world and Mary Miles Minter was their big star. Of course they were long gone by the time I came along, but there were a couple of buildings still around that those of us with an interest always knew were the last remaining parts of the old movie studio.

Welcome to the lurkers' couch, Ancient Planter! Hope you can join us! And what fun history related to the Flying A Studios. :)

Here are my last two.

1_20201207_221228_copy_804x568.jpg
Before they were known as Harry Potter glasses, they were Harold Lloyd glasses. Apparently, Harold popped out the lenses on sunglasses to create his "glasses" character. Safety last has the iconic clock scene as Lloyd is climbing to the top of the building. It was filmed in 1923. A side note, the Harold Lloyd glasses were popular in 20s Japan with the "modern boy" known as mobo.

1_20201207_221157_copy_804x571.jpg
Lucia Lynn Moses in Scar of Shame (1927). This is an early race movie that has an entirely black cast and was made for a black audience. Unfortunately, the company went out of business after this film, which proved to be Lucia Lynn Moses only roll. (Her sister was in a few more movies). I tried to capture the idea in the film in the conflict between higher and lower classes.

Back
Top Bottom