Media
Swap Due Date: Due February 12, 2021
Signup/Withdraw Date: Due February 12, 2021
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Medium: Any and all media and techniques are welcome
Chinese New Year - Year of the OX, Due February 12, 2021

RETURNS MAILED 2/12

Many cultures run on a Solar/Lunar Calendar, the Chinese in particular.
The Chinese New Year 2021, Year of the Ox, begins on February 12, 2021 – the second New Moon after the Solstice.
The "Spring Festival", beginning on the new moon, is the start of Chinese New Year, and is China's longest and most important traditional festival. It is celebrated at the turn of the traditional lunisolar Chinese calendar, which consists of both Gregorian and lunar-solar calendar systems. Chinese New Year can begin anytime between late January and mid-February. The Chinese New Year’s festivities end two weeks later on the 15th day of the first month (Full moon) and is celebrated with what is known as the Lantern Festival.

There are many traditions/beliefs associated with the New Year:
For example, the Chinese believe that as they enter a new year, they should start a new beginning.
They pay off all of their debts, purchase new clothes, paint their doors, and even get new haircuts in order to have a fresh start. The night before the New Year begins, it is important to completely clean the house and sweep it. If you sweep or clean on Chinese New Year Day, it is bad luck, because you are sweeping out your good luck from the New Year. The same goes for bathing/showering. Instead of washing the morning of Chinese New Year, you are supposed to bathe the night before, then wait until the day after to shower again. Otherwise, all your (New Year) good luck gets washed away.
Chinese New Year day is spent with family and friends, and usually there is a big family dinner. Flowers on the table each flower has meaning, fruit in bowls, and each traditional dish made, symbolizes something.

For this swap, your cards can be depictions of this year, 2021, which is the Year of the Ox. But you may also depict any Chinese New Year Animal, and there are 12 Chinese New Year animals to pick from.

Usually the U.S. post office (as well as the Canadian Post Office) releases a stamp to celebrate Chinese New Year. Currently the post office is not showing their new CNY Stamp. I will update when available.

You can show the the Spring Festival, or the Lantern Festival, or red envelopes, or peonies, pineapples, mandarins, kumquats, or koi.
You can create cards about New Year beliefs/celebrations/traditions regards things to do, and other items which are BAD LUCK to do.

You can show celebrations such as Lion Dancing, Dragon Dancing, Dragon Boat Races, parades and/or fireworks.
The dragon is a very popular symbol for the Chinese New Year. It is a symbol of strength and good luck. A Chinese New Year celebration would not be complete without a giant dragon parading down the street. The dragon costume is always very colorful and can be up to 100 feet long. People inside the costume make the dragon move up and down as it zigzags past the spectators.

You can show the Chinese New Year tradition, like "hong bao", the gifting of money presented in red envelopes/red pockets.

On Chinese New Year, it is good to be a single person because all the married people give unmarried people red pockets with lucky money inside. Others say red envelopes are only for children.

Fish, which are synonymous with Chinese New Year, Koi in particular.
Koi are very positive symbols and the different colors all have their different meanings!
So when you fill you Koi pond, make sure you get the right color mix! All very feng shui!

You can depict flowers. Flowers are great alone, and can also make excellent backgrounds.
The Peony is known as "flower of riches and honour" or "king of the flowers", and is used symbolically in Chinese art. It is a flower much favored for Chinese New Year. The Narcissus is a symbol of the beginning of a new year. It is a symbol of good fortune and prosperity in Asia. Cherry Blossoms symbolize spring, the new year, and new beginnings. Daffodils are for luck. Peach Blossoms feature in the Lunar New Year celebrations.

You can depict fruit such as mandarins or kumquats, symbolizing good fortune and prosperity.
In Lam Tsen there is a Wishing Tree where people throw Wishes tied to Mandarins into the Wishing Tree.
Pineapple is considered a auspicious fruit for festive season. There are always pineapple tarts in every home during the Chinese New Year. Red Lotus seeds mean fertility. And pistachio nuts are lucky.

You can add Lucky Coins. Tie the coins together by red or gold string/ribbon to activate them.Group them in 3s, 6s or 9s. They obviously attract wealth! Odd numbers are better than even numbers

You can show fireworks or firecrackers. There are many beliefs about why fireworks are used. One belief is that the noise of the fireworks is supposed to scare away all evil spirits, allowing the new year to begin without misfortunes.

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome. Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take a magazine image, cut it into a square, glue it onto some colored paper, and call it done. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! I do ask that you send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

*Please sign up by posting to this thread.
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be standard ATC size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve. This is for their protection!
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If your ATC is drawn or otherwise created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, such as a cereal box. Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
.....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on the envelope.
.....Please check both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link.
http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 55 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards; or one forever and one 15 cent stamp (additional ounce postage) if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy or extra bulky (or 2 forever stamps if that is easier).

* Canadian and other International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. Please send $1.00 or 2 "Forever" stamps. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.
* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due to me by February 12, 2021. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. Returns will be mailed promptly. Please leave iTrader for your HOST ONLY (me) when you receive your returns and please take the time to leave Reputation/You Rock points for your fellow players from whom you receive cards.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have misplaced my address, please send me a PM.

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Chinese New Year
https://chinesenewyear.net/

Office Holidays
https://www.officeholidays.com/holidays/chinese-new-year

Chinese Lantern Festival
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lantern_Festival

It appears I have exceeded my allotment for posting on this post.
Please check Post #2 for participant list.

Last edited:
Current Participants
Chinese New Year -- Year of the OX Due February 12, 2021

*1. Rainey Day -- Cards Received 1/19
*2. TrinaLD -- Cards Received 2/09
*3. Donnacr -- Cards Received 2/05 * AUSTRALIA
*4; luckycat479 -- Cards Received 1/19
*5. SunkissedJellybaby -- Cards Received 1/19 * IRELAND
*6. EatSleepWriteABook -- Cards Received 1/12 * CANADA
*7. Trazy1 -- Cards Received 1/28
*/. cmcarli -- WITHDREW
8. Arcdreams -- Cards Received 2/05
*9. Boots -- Cards Received 1/13
10; KittyCat1993 -- Cards Received 2/05
*11. artbymee -- Cards Received 1/12
*//. Kristinemily -- WITHDREW
*12. AmySi -- Cards Received 2/09
*13. Vicki Z -- Cards Received 1/13
*14. TerryHEdwards -- Cards Received 1/19
15. nonna -- Cards Received 1/26
*16. JenUrebel -- Cards Received 1/12
*17. sarat -- Cards Received 2/05

* INTERNATIONAL

Last edited:
USPS usually does put out Lunar New Year Stamps each year.
Unfortunately, I cannot find anything for this Lunar Year, but it is early, and the USPS may put them out in January.

I signed you up, TrinaLD.
Welcome!

Last edited:
Australia Post always puts out special stamps for the occasion but way too late for me to use them for that year's swap - I guess I get to use them in 12 years time.
Sign me up please.

Back
Top Bottom