Media
Vintage/Victorian Valentines: Due February 5, 2021
Swap Due Date: February 5, 2021
Signup/Withdraw Date: February 5, 2021
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Medium: Any and all media and techniques are welcome

RETURNS MAILED 2/09

I love the look and feel of lacy, gorgeous, Victorian Valentines; and silly, punny, funny, Vintage Valentines always make me smile.
Many people don't know the difference in Valentines, plus the differences may be considered subtle, but the general definition is as follows:

Greeting cards, particularly Valentine cards, are always a product of their time.....
Victorian Valentines were popular during the reign of Queen Victoria, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, from 20 June 1837 until her death 22 January 1901. The Victorian Valentines featured soft colors, embossing, cut outs, scallops, ribbon, lace, doilies, fussy embellishments, and often gold leaf edges. They were adorned with sentiments of love and affection, reflective the the love, affection, and fidelity of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, sentiments Queen Victoria promoted until the day Albert died.
The early Victorian valentines were hand cut (NOT die cut), pressure embossed, had parts of the card that would slide or somehow moved. Many were 3-D, and had entire sections that popped up. They often were heavy, over-sized, and self standing so they formed table centerpieces, used every Valentine season year after year.

Vintage Valentines were popular mostly in the 50's, the 60's, and the early 70's. Again, being reflective of their time, Vintage Valentines were less often devoted to sentiments of love and romance, but were more focused on the funny, silly, sarcastic, snarky, or downright strange. They reflected free speech, free love, and voiced put-down comments that could be considered funny, or nasty, or both. (There are Vintage Valentine sites on the internet devoted to the Weird, Wacky, and the "Unacceptable" Vintage Valentines.) Some Vintage Valentines portrayed local movie characters (Western Heroes), or depicted comic book heroes/heroines (Wonder Woman). The Vintage Valentines used poems, puns, and word play to get their silly, sassy, and sometimes "rude" message across.
Fruits and Vegetables talked - "You're a PEACH", I "Yam" sweet on you, "I like you BERRY much".
Birds and Bees had comments - "Owl always love you", "Bee" my honey.

Since Vintage and Victorian are often confused with each other, I am lumping them together for this swap.
Pick your era, choose your sentiment, and make your cards.
Use doilies, lace, paper lace, washi tape, hearts, flowers.
Use jokes, riddles, knock-knock jokes.

Challenge yourself and make some valentines that move, slide, spin, or pop up.
If you send in a valentine that moves, you will get back at least one return that moves, slides, spins, fans, or pops up,
more, if possible, depending on how many cards that move are sent in.
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO MAKE ANY VALENTINES THAT MOVE, THIS IS ONLY A SUGGESTED CHALLENGE

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome.
Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take a magazine image, cut it into a square, glue it onto some colored paper, and call it done. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! I do ask that you send in your best work --- something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

*Please sign up by posting to this thread.
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be standard ATC size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve. This is for their protection!
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If your ATC is drawn or otherwise created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, such as a cereal box. Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
.....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on the envelope.
.....Please check both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link.
http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 55 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards; or one forever and one additional ounce postage stamp if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy or extra bulky (or 2 forever stamps if that is easier).

* Canadian and other International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. Please send $1.00 or 2 "Forever" stamps. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.

* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due to me by February 5, 2021. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. Returns will be mailed promptly. Please leave iTrader for your HOST ONLY (me) when you receive your returns and please take the time to leave Reputation/You Rock points for your fellow players from whom you receive cards.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have misplaced my address, please send me a PM.

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Here are some Vintage/Victorian Valentine Cards for inspiration:

https://www.google.com/search?q=victorian+valentine+cards+images&tbm=isch&chips=q:victorian+valentine+cards,g_1:antique:8l-S4FtfH2g%3D&rlz=1C1OKWM_enUS785US785&hl=en-US&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi965bmn6vtAhVNTqwKHZ8kDSIQ4lYoAHoECAEQGA&biw=1275&bih=894

Current Participants
Vintage/Victorian Valentines, Due February 5, 2021

*1. RaineyDay -- Cards Received 1/12
*2. AngelJoy -- Cards Received 1/01
rn3. TrinaLD -- Cards Received 2/05
*/. Fandanie -- WITHDEW
*4. Cleopatra -- Cards Received 1/12
*5. Monroy28 -- Cards Received 12/24
*6. angelmuz -- Cards Received 1/19
*7. JenUrebel -- Cards Received 1/12
*8. CMontalvo -- Cards Received 1/28
*9. Boots -- Cards Received 12/13
*10. huddlestonmollie -- Cards Received 1/19
*11. TerryHEdwards -- Cards Received 1/19
*12; BlancoLobo -- Cards Received 1/22
*13. Vicki Z -- Cards Received 12/13
14. Deb2015 -- Cards Received 2/05

* INTERNATIONAL

Last edited:
Lurkers welcome, TrinaLD.
Hope you can come back and join us.

Actually, I run this swap every year.
I LOVE Vintage and Victorian Valentines.

Last edited:
Making ATCs over the past months is what keeps me sane! What?! My imaginary friend is currently disputing this . . .

I know what you mean :eek:
I have arguments with my imaginary friend, and it is always the pitts when I lose the argument.

Tell your imaginary friend to go talk to "my" imaginary friend.
Then they can chat with each other, and you can create. :twitcy:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom