Addicted to ATCs
Media
Signup/Withdraw Date: March 13, 2021
Number of Cards: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Medium: Any and all media and techniques are welcome
Magick Mermaids: Due March 13, 2021

RETURNS MAILED 3/16

For those of you who know me, I am a Mermaid Maniac.
Fortunately, I am not alone. There are so many people who love Mermaids, whether the mermaids be fat ones, skinny ones, tall ones, or short ones. Mermaids have traditional tails like fish, or I have seen them with long striped tails like snakes, or sometimes they have short curled tails like seashells. Mermaids can hve single tails like Ariel, or Mermaids can have double tails like the Starbucks icon. One can find Mermaids in all types and nationalities. African Mermaids, Asian Mermaids, and don't forget the Selkies of Scotland.

Mermaids are also called Sirens, Selkies, Nereid, Naiad, Oceanid, sea-maid (or sea-maiden), water nymph.
In Slavic folklore, the Rusalka is a female entity, often malicious toward mankind and frequently associated with water, with counterparts in other parts of Europe, such as the French Melusine and the Germanic Nixie.

Merfolk are intuitive creatures and highly intelligent. They can "read" people by looking at them and by watching their body language. They have a deep understanding of humans, and human weakness, drawn from many Selkies having lived the life of wives of human husbands for hundreds of years.

Legend tells us that the Siren song, based on observations of the sailor, and filled with words and melodies that stimulate the most basic of desires, evokes memories of home, longings of lost love, and tales of dreams un-fulfilled, the stuff of which will drive a person to follow the siren song, usually to their doom.

Merfolk are depicted as human (or some otherwise land-dwelling creatures such as mercats and hippocampus) from the waist up, with a beautiful, often iridescent, oceanic tail/fin from the waist down.

For this reason, faces alone, or heads with torsos, do NOT qualify as merfolk.
You must have a tail to quality as a mermaid/mercat/merman/merhorse (hippocampus).

Merfolk in their under-water-habitat come in a wide range of naturally occurring oceanic colours; black, dark green through pale green, turquoise, blue, lavender, white, and silver. Some pictures of mermaids out of water show blond hair, but that may be the sun reflected on their natural hair color. Merfolk come in male (mermen) female (mermaids) and neuter genders (mer), and include merbabies, merchildren, mercats, merdogs, mer-horses (better known as hippocampus), and any other mercritter your heart desires, although it seems fewer folks are interested in drawing beyond mermaids.

Marvelous, Magick, Merfolk.
Swimming North as Spring Equinox Approaches.

Your Merfolk can be whimsical or realistic.
Your Mermaids can be drop dead gorgeous or they can be evil, ugly, and fanged. Or even drop dead gorgeous AND fanged.
Mermaids can be topless or covered. So can the Mermen, as far as that goes.

ANYONE OFFENDED BY BARE-CHESTED MERFOLK, LET ME KNOW SO I WON'T SEND YOU ONE.

Your mermaids can be swimming or sunning or singing, or taking in the sunset while combing their hair.
They can be babysitting merchildren, mercats, merdogs, or watching humans, or lusting after sailors.
Clearly these are "normal" Mermaid pastimes, so how about we have some diversity here!!!
I think it might be fun to think outside the box and do something different.
So I have set up this challenge.

CHALLENGE:
*Anyone who come up with an ATC with at least one Mermaid/Merman having some type of Merfolk Mishap, or clearly having a bad day, among their submitted ATCs, will receive an "extra" card back with their returns. *

This can be a simple as a Mermaid having a bad hair day, or being "honored" with a present from a fly-by-bird.
Your card could depict Merchildren's hippocampus losing a merhorse shoe, or someone can try to ride a too-small-seahorse-steed.
Perhaps Mermom is going to the store to buy lobster for supper, but she left her checkbook at home.
What happens when one seashell on the Prom Bra cracks, and has to be replaced before that hot date shows up with a sea urchin corsage?
Do Merfolk cry (under water) when the wrong color is used when having ones fins polished, or having one's hair done?
And who gets more upset - mermom or merkid - when the merpet disappears?
Oh, don't forget the mishaps associated with the losing at Clam Poker or Sting Ray Roulette.

Again, please note that you do not HAVE TO make a mermaid having a mishap,
but this swap is due on Saturday the 13th, so DAH!!!! I want to challenge you, and hopefully it will be fun.

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome. Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take an image, cut it out, glue it to a card, and call it done. Color the background. Add some texture. Add more than one image. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! I do ask that you send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

* Please sign up by posting to this thread. I will acknowledge you and add your user name to the participant list below.
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve.
* All cards need to be standard ATC size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If it is created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, or more firm, such as a cereal box.
* Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
.....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link.
[url]http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909[/URL]

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 55 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards; or one forever and one 20 cent stamp (additional ounce postage) if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy or extra bulky (or 2 forever stamps if that is easier).

* International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.

* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due IN MY HANDS by March 13, 2021. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. Returns will be mailed promptly. Please leave iTrader for your host ONLY (me) when you receive your returns and please take the time to leave Reputation/You Rock points for your fellow players from whom you receive cards.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have misplaced my address, please send me a PM.

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Current Participants
Magick Mermaids: Due March 13, 2021

*1. RaineyDay -- Cards Received 1/26
*/. Allegrae -- WITHDREW
*2. angelmuz -- Cards Received 1/12
*3. TrinaLD -- Cards Received 3/08
*4; chimerix -- Cards Received 1/26
*5; leydab -- Cards Received 3/08
6; Trazy1 -- Cards Received
*/. MontanaDawn -- NO CARDS, NO COMMUNICATION
*/. luckycat479 -- WITHDREW
rn7. zhouzhou -- Cards Received 3/08
8. Catharinejo -- Cards Received 1/29
*9. Boots -- Cards Received 1/13
*10. aginghippychic -- Cards Received 2/20
*11. Donnacr -- Cards Received 2/27 * AUSTRALIA
12. Monroy28 -- Cards Received 2/08
*13. Vicki Z -- Cards Received 1/13
*14. John K -- Cards Received 2/26
*15. Karch -- Cards Received 2/23
*16. JenUrebel -- Cards Received 3/08
*17. slipperyfox -- MAILED 2/28....UNFORTUNATELY, THE POST OFFICE RETURNED HER CARDS TO HER
*18. mrubyjean -- Cards Received 3/08

* INTERNATIONAL

Last edited:
This is tempting. I haven't made any ATCs for awhile. I'll be lurking, while I try to create something, figure out where my muse is hiding...

Lurkers welcome, Evalila.
Hope you can come back and join us.
And if you can join, please mail early.
Mail is still slooooooow!

Last edited:
Lurkers welcome zhouzou.
So many of us are having a slump. :eek:
Don't know if it is Covid, or Christmas, or 2020, or all of the above.

Anyway, hope you get out of your slump, and can play.

Back
Top Bottom