ATC Swap Due Date: Due May 07, 2021
Signup/Withdraw Date: Due May 07, 2021
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Media: Any and all mediums and techniques are welcome
FASHION OF THE ROARING TWENTIES, Due May 07, 2021

RETURNS MAILED 5/04
MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU

This is a swap about the "Roaring 20's", and what made the 1920's ROAR.
A century ago America experienced a single decade that changed the nation forever.

It is more than the INVENTIONS, INNOVATIONS, AND DISCOVERIES of the 20's.
It is more than the discovery of Penicillin and the isolation of insulin and the finding the location of the lost tomb of King Tutankhamun. (If you are interested in the inventions, innovations, and discoveries of the 1920's, I am running another swap for that specifically.)

It is more than the PEOPLE of the 1920's, although they were all interesting folk.
(If you are interested in the people, the aviators, the movie stars or the sports heroes of the 1920's, I am running another swap for them specifically.)

This is a swap about the unique fashions of the "Roaring 20's", and what made the 1920's ROAR.
The Roaring 20's included flappers, bootleggers, gangsters, and suffragists, and the clothes they wore.
They believed the clothing made the man (or woman).

WOMEN'S "FANCY" CLOTHES, HATS, HEADBANDS, HAIR STYLES, JEWELRY
"Fashion" for the in-crowd included cloche hats, beaded headbands and jewelry.
Loooong strings of pearls were the "Bees Knees" and some strands of pearls hung all the way to a girl's knees.
Thoroughly Modern Millie wore the Charleston Dress to dance the Charleston.
Suzie Suffragist would never be caught in such an obscene outfit.
Some women actually wore outfits that included (OMG) pants as part of the ensemble.
Fashion also included specific hair styles, the "Buster Brown Hair Bob", the Perma Wave, the "Short and Absolutely Straight Bob". Women cut their hair short in a time when "long hair is a woman's glory".

MEN'S HATS AND OUTFITS
Men were decked out in striped suits with wide lapels, spats, and machine guns.
There were Bogart Hats and Great Gatsby Hats, Fedoras and Homburgs.
One could spot a Gangster, or a Mobster by his clothing, often just by looking at their hat.
(Who can tell me the difference between a Cap, a Lid, a Newsboy, a Gambler, and a Boater Hat?)

VINTAGE SWIMWEAR AT THE BEACH
BATHING SUITS OF THE 1920's

.....In the 1700's Modesty was the word, and women used weights to keep their "Bathing Gowns"
from floating up and revealing their legs
....In the late 1800's bathing suits rose to the knees
.....Although leggings were worn from the knees downward
.....By the 1920's women began ditching long skirts and long sleeves in favor of swim suits that covered less and allowed for more freedom to actually swim.
.....Unfortunately, police personnel canvassed the beaches to arrest anyone wearing anything too revealing (immoral).
.....In 1922 beach regulations stipulated that the bottom of the bathing suits must not be higher than 6 inches above the knee.
....."Change Shacks" allowed women to change into their bathing clothes out of sight

What fashions of the 1920's speak to you?
Do you don a different Charleston Dress each Halloween party?

Are you drawn to the clothing the Honorable Miss Fisher wears each week in the "Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries" Series?:jiggy:

She wears clingy and short, to elegant and floor length. She wears pants. She owns some "Asian" ensembles including a silk Kimono that should be MINE!!!! or at least a museum piece~
:twitcy:
Out of 34 Episodes across 3 seasons, Miss Fisher has NEVER worn the same outfit twice.
(I want her entire wardrobe!!!)

Do you notice how wide the men's ties are, do you check out the width of the suit jacket lapels?
And the spats.....Did you know that one can purchase pull on and/or button on spats to make the shoes look more authentic to a 1920 venue, if you are interested in that kind of thing. :eek:

Create three or six cards representing the fashion of the 1920's,l that time period from 1920 through 1929, fashion distinctive to the 1920's and fashion that made the Roaring 20's ROAR.......

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome. Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take an image, cut it out, glue it to a card, and call it done. Color the background. Add some texture. Add more than one image. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! Please send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

* Please sign up by posting to this thread. I will acknowledge you and add your user name to the participant list below.
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve.
* All cards need to be standard ATC size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If it is created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, or more firm, such as a cereal box.
* Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
.....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link. http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 55 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards; or one forever and one 20 cent stamp (additional ounce postage) if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy or extra bulky (or 2 forever stamps if that is easier).

* International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps/money, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.

* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due IN MY HANDS by May 07, 2021. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. Returns will be mailed promptly. Please leave iTrader for your host ONLY (me) when you receive your returns and please take the time to leave Reputation/You Rock points for your fellow players from whom you receive cards.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have not been in one of my swaps for a while, please PM me for my address when you sign up or when you are ready to mail.

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Current Participants
FASHION OF THE ROARING TWENTIES, Due May 07, 2021

*1. CiCiCreates -- Cards Received 4/26
*2. Monroy28 -- Cards Received 4/30
3. Donnacr -- Cards Received 4/30 * AUSTRALIA
4. luckycat479 -- Cards Received 4/30
*5. Karch -- Cards Received 3/12
*6. RaineyDay -- Cards Received 3/22
*7. dbuffum -- Cards Received 4/20
*8. Vicki Z -- Cards Received 3/13
*9. Boots -- Cards Received 3/13
*10. Seascape131 -- Cards Received 4/20

* INTERNATIONAL

Last edited:
I plan to do several swaps covering the Roaring 20's -- The decade from 1920 to 1929.
The first Swap is "FASHION OF THE ROARING TWENTIES" -- clothes, hats, headbands, shoes, jewelry.
The second Swap is devoted to the "INVENTIONS, INNOVATIONS, AND DISCOVERIES OF THE ROARING TWENTIES"
-- new and improved food products, advances in science and medicine, discoveries in Egypt

The third Swap includes "PEOPLE OF THE ROARING TWENTIES" -- who they were, what they did, books they wrote, changes they made.

I hope you sign up for the entire series.

Last edited:
I love the roaring 20's.
I love the clothes, the hats, the headbands, the feathers, the jewelry.
For years my "Halloween" costume was a Charleston Dress. Or a beaded dress.
My birthday parties were "Come Dressed as you Were -- in the Roaring 20's"

Who wants to join in?

Last edited:
I LOVE Violet! And the flapper with the automobile background is great too!

Men's Clothing
Work, Leisure, and Gangster attire all included multiple clothing changes.
There were tennis togs and boater hats.
There were Great Gatsby Hats, Bogart Hats, Fedoras and Homburgs.
One could spot a Gangster, or a Mobster by his clothing,
which included black suits with white ties, striped suits with wide lapels, spats, and machine guns.

Or just check out a man's hat.
(Who can tell me the difference between a Cap, a Lid,
a Newsboy, a Gambler, and a Boater Hat?

Last edited:
Fascinating hat terminology! I think a boater is a flattish straw hat, and not sure about the others. I bet some of them are very similar to each other.

Fascinating hat terminology! I think a boater is a flattish straw hat, and not sure about the others. I bet some of them are very similar to each other.

Good catch, CiCireates!!!
They are all "similar".
The width of the brim, or the height of the crown, can make all the difference.

Back
Top Bottom