Vicki Z

Addicted to ATCs
Media
ATC Swap Due Date: Due May 14, 2021
Signup/Withdraw Date: Due May 14, 2021
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Media: Any and all mediums and techniques are welcome
Inventions, Innovations, News Events and Discoveries of THE ROARING TWENTIES, Due May 14, 2021

RETURNS MAILED 5/14

This is a swap about the "Roaring 20's", and what made the 1920's ROAR.
A century ago America experienced a single decade that changed the nation forever.

It is MORE than the FASHIONS of the 1920's, although the clothes of the rich and the spender displayed at parties and in the speakeasies were gorgeous!
(If you are interested in the fashion of the 1920's, the cloche hats, bobbed hair, fedoras and spats, I am running another swap for that specifically.)

It is more than the PEOPLE of the 1920's, although they were all interesting folk.
(If you are interested in the people, the aviators, the movie stars or the sports heroes of the 1920's, I am running another swap for them specifically.)

The 20's were a decade of unbelievable discoveries, with a plethora of incredible inventions and staggering innovations.
(Going through the lists of inventions, I am surprised to see listed the "invention" of penicillin in 1928, and the "invention" of insulin, which is the reason why I am lumping inventions and discoveries together. Penicillin was discovered, insulin was isolated.)
For inventions in the 1920's:http://www.american-historama.org/19...-the-1920s.htm

There were innovations in the storage of food, progressing from chunks of ice (delivered to the home ice-box), to the frozen inventions from Bird Eye. There were candy inventions and innovations from Milton S. Hershey, who went crazy with new tastes and flavors in candy. There were inventions in health care products, and discoveries in germ warfare and bacteria immunity.

There were unbelievable discoveries, shocking news, and memorable events: the discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen and his famous golden mask; the climbing of the Woolworth Building that got more publicity than climbing Mount Everest; and the stock market crash, the Australian icons that started in the 1920's, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) that was formed February 1, 1920. (Don't you just love those bright red Mountie uniforms?) Route 66 was established, and the creation of the BWCA gave us a gorgeous, public, place to canoe and enjoy Nature.

NOTE:
If you are having difficulty between "PEOPLE" of the 1920's and "DISCOVERIES" of the 1920's, don't worry.

We know that Lord Carnarvon discovered Tutankhamun's Tomb, so I will accept an ATC based on Lord Carnarvon in the "PEOPLE" of the 1920's, as long as the ATC has Lord Carnarvon as the main focus.

But I will also accept the "DISCOVERY" of the Tomb of Tutankhamun by Lord Carnarvon, in the "INVENTIONS/DISCOVERIES" Swap. Again, please assure that the focus of any ATC for this swap has a focus on King Tut, his golden mask, the discovery of his tomb, etc.
So do what you wish or make one card for each swap.

Create three or six ATC's (no APC's allowed) representing something that happened 1920 through 1929, things that made the Roaring 20's ROAR.......

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome. Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take an image, cut it out, glue it to a card, and call it done. Color the background. Add some texture. Add more than one image. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! Please send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

* Please sign up by posting to this thread. I will acknowledge you and add your user name to the participant list below.
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve.
* All cards need to be standard ATC size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If it is created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, or more firm, such as a cereal box.
* Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
.....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link. http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 55 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards; or one forever and one 20 cent stamp (additional ounce postage) if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy or extra bulky (or 2 forever stamps if that is easier).

* International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps/money, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.

* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due IN MY HANDS by May 14, 2021. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. Returns will be mailed promptly. Please leave iTrader for your host ONLY (me) when you receive your returns and please take the time to leave Reputation/You Rock points for your fellow players from whom you receive cards.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have not been in one of my swaps for a while, please PM me for my address when you sign up or when you are ready to mail.

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Current Participants
Inventions, Discoveries, Innovations,
News and Events of THE ROARING TWENTIES,
Due May 14, 2021

*/. luckycat479 -- WITHDREW
*1. Monroy28 -- Cards Received 4/30
*2. Karch -- Cards Received 3/08
*3. Boots-- Cards Received 3/13
*4. leydab-- Cards Received 5/10
*5. Vicki Z-- Cards Received 3/13
*6. pancake machine -- Cards Received 4/15

* INTERNATIONAL

Last edited:
I plan to do several swaps covering the Roaring 20's -- The decade from 1920 to 1929.
The first Swap is "FASHION OF THE ROARING TWENTIES" -- clothes, hats, headbands, shoes, jewelry.
The second Swap is devoted to the "INVENTIONS, INNOVATIONS, AND DISCOVERIES OF THE ROARING TWENTIES"
-- new and improved food products, advances in science and medicine, News-worthy Discoveries

The third Swap includes "PEOPLE OF THE ROARING TWENTIES" -- who they were, what they did, books they wrote, changes they made.

I hope you sign up for the entire series.

Last edited:
I LOVE the Roaring 20's.
It was an exciting age of invention and discoveries.
It was a series of "Firsts".
It was a time of mind-blowing events.
It was a decade that altered the world.

Some Inventions from the 1920s That We Still Use Today
Electric Automatic Traffic Signal...."Modern" Traffic Lights
Quick-Frozen Food. ...
Band-Aid® ...
Aerosol Can ...
Electric Blender. ...
Television. ...
Vacuum Cleaner...

Other exciting Inventions in the 1920s
Convertibles
Car Head Rest
Bulldozer
Cheese Burger
Radio Altimeter
Penicillin Discovered
Insulin Isolated
Liquid Fueled Rocket
Lie Detector
Sunglasses
Electric Razor

On the other hand, the Baby Ruth bar and Wonder Bread were both invented in 1920, Popsicles came out in 1924, Hostess cakes and Kool-Aid were products of 1927 and Velveeta cheese was introduced in 1928.

WOW!!!!

INCREDIBLE INVENTIONS received from Karch.
You always find the most interesting items.
Thanks so much for including a hostie card.

lurking. I recently did a card that featured the Brannock Device. That is the tool used to measure your foot and determine shoe size. If I can come up with a few more ideas I'll join.

lurking. I recently did a card that featured the Brannock Device. That is the tool used to measure your foot and determine shoe size. If I can come up with a few more ideas I'll join.

LOVE your Brannock Device Card, Pancake Machine.
I hope you can think of some additional items and decide to sign up for the swap.

Last edited:
I'm in. Please add me.

My Brannock Device card is traded, but it is one of those tools you don't see anymore. I've noticed more carpets with different sizes mapped out on them when the kids were little.

Back
Top Bottom