PEOPLE OF THE ROARING TWENTIES:Their Books Art Sports Movies and Music, Due May 14

Vicki Z

Addicted to ATCs
Media
ATC Swap Due Date: Due May 14, 2021
Signup/Withdraw Date: Due May 14, 20201
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Media: Any and all mediums and techniques are welcome
PEOPLE OF THE ROARING TWENTIES: Their Books, Art, Sports, Movies, and Music: Due March 14, 2020

RETURNS MAILED 5/17

This is a swap about the "Roaring 20's", and what made the 1920's ROAR.
A century ago America experienced a single decade that changed the nation forever.

This is about the people of the 1920's.
This is a decade of people in sports, aviation, books, art, and movies that changed from the Silent Era to "Talkies".
This is a decade of the very rich and the abject poor, 10 years of flappers, bootleggers, gangsters, and suffragists, prohibition and Jazz.

THE PEOPLE OF AVIATION, THEIR AIRPLANES AND THEIR ACCOMPLISHMENTS
This is ten years packed full of numerous aviation "firsts"....
New planes, high wing, low wing, bi wing. Cross-Atlantic Airplane flights by Lucky Lindy, Amelia Earhart, Bessie Coleman, Alfred Anderson.

THE PEOPLE OF ART, ARCHITECTURE AND PAINTINGS
Painters such as Gaugin, Picasso, Maltase, and Dali are names from the 20's we recognize and admire today. Their art hangs in museums and private homes. Architecture Design can still be seen in many homes and buildings, created by famous architects in the 20's.

PEOPLE, AND THE BOOKS THEY WROTE
There were incredible books written in the 1920's, and we ain't just talking about "The Great Gatsby", "A Farewell To Arms", and other required reading from your high school days. There were the "Greats": T.S. Elliot, Gertrude Stein, Ernest Hemmingway, Alice B. Toklas

Here is a list of the 50 best books of the 1920's, from war, to humor, to children's books. See how many of the titles you recognize and/or have actually read.
http://www.stylist.co.uk/books/the-5...s-of-the-1920s

THE PEOPLE OF THE MOVIES, STARS OF THE SILENT ERA AND STARS OF THE TALKIES
There were movies with action, romance, and a Western influence, with stars such as Mae West, Mary Pickford, Charlie Chaplin, and Harold Lloyd, Tom Mix, Rudolph Valentino, and Douglas Fairbanks.
And remember Mickey Mouse's Movie debut in "Steamboat Willie"

PEOPLE WHO WROTE MUSIC, SONGS, JAZZ, AND THE PEOPLE WHO COMPOSED, SANG, AND DANCED
This was a time of Jazz legends like Louie Armstrong, Jellyroll Morton, Duke Ellington.
Remember the songs by Cole Porter, and the Suffragette Songs and Sloans.

Songs were written about Booze in the 1920's, such as "Away With Rum".
This song was later used by the Temperance Union, and this same song is in the ending of the (currently popular) Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries Series 2 Episode 3. It is also on an album by Tom Lehrer popular in the 1960's. Oddly, I know more verses of this song than are listed on the web! :0)

Suffragette slogans proliferated, such as "Lips that touch liquor will never touch mine".
Lines were drawn between the "Wet's" and the "Dry's" which split up many a family with differing opinions.

PEOPLE AND THEIR SPORTS
Baseball is the major sport, with Babe Ruth as the favorite player.
Basketball was originally played with a soccer ball and a peach basket, with many changes occurring in the 20's.

PEOPLE,THEIR CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS
Al Capone, Baby Face Nelson, Bugs Moran, Pretty Boy Floyd, Ma Baker, Machine Gun Kelley.
Legs Diamond, Dutch Schultz, John Dillinger, Bonnie and Clyde, Eliot Ness.
And don't forget that crime pays......there were the money making speakeasy's, the drinks with cool names, and the rich folk's unbelievably gorgeous classic cars.

THE COMMON FOLK, THEIR JOBS,THEIR LIVES, THEIR CLOTHES/UNIFORMS
Mailmen, milkmen, factory workers

Ice Boxes" were cooled by ice, which was cut from lakes, delivered to homes, and placed in iceboxes
.....In the 1920's an Ice Cutter made $1.75 a day
Milk was delivered by milkmen, originally driving a horse and buggy, later doing his rounds in a milk truck
.....In the 1920's a Milkman made $1,500/Year
The Pandemic of 1918-1920 put infected houses under quarantine and the milkman lost sales to those families
.....In a year a Milkman could have his salary drop dramatically
"Human Computers" did the work of adding machines and calculators
.....Being predominately women, they made less than the local milkman
.....In the 1920's a "Human Computer" made $1,440/Year
Rum /Runners needed wooden barrels to age and transport their booze
.....In the 1920's a skilled Barrel Maker made $3.00 a day
"Jerk" has not always referred to a contemptibly obnoxious person a fool, blockhead, buffoon, dullard, dope, dummy, dunderhead, chucklehead, knucklehead, muttonhead, lamebrain, peabrain, birdbrain, klutz, putz, ding-dong, dingbat
......In the 1920's a Soda Jerk was a person who served and sold soft drinks and ice cream at a soda fountain.
......He was smart, fun, outgoing, and the secret love of many a young lady, and he had money plus the ability to give out free ice cream and sodas, at least until he was caught doing so

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome. Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take an image, cut it out, glue it to a card, and call it done. Color the background. Add some texture. Add more than one image. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! Please send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

* Please sign up by posting to this thread. I will acknowledge you and add your user name to the participant list below.
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve.
* All cards need to be standard ATC size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If it is created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, or more firm, such as a cereal box.
* Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
.....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link. http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 55 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards; or one forever and one 20 cent stamp (additional ounce postage) if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy or extra bulky (or 2 forever stamps if that is easier).

* International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps/money, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.

* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due IN MY HANDS by May 14, 2021. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. Returns will be mailed promptly. Please leave iTrader for your host ONLY (me) when you receive your returns and please take the time to leave Reputation/You Rock points for your fellow players from whom you receive cards.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have not been in one of my swaps for a while, please PM me for my address when you sign up or when you are ready to mail.

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Current Participants
PEOPLE OF THE ROARING TWENTIES:
Their Books, Art, Sports, Movies, and Music: Due March 14, 2020

*1. Karch -- Cards Received 3/12
*2. Boots -- Cards Received 3/13
*3. Vicki Z -- Cards Received 3/13
*/. MeOwnDesigns -- NO CARDS NO COMMUNICATION * AUSTRALIA
4. TrinaLD -- Cards Received 5/12

* INTERNATIONAL

Last edited:
I plan to do several swaps covering the Roaring 20's -- The decade from 1920 to 1929.
The first Swap is "FASHION OF THE ROARING TWENTIES" -- clothes, hats, headbands, jewelry, and accessories.
The second Swap is devoted to the "INVENTIONS, INNOVATIONS, AND DISCOVERIES OF THE ROARING TWENTIES"
-- new and improved food products, advances in science and medicine, news-worthy discoveries and events

The third Swap includes "PEOPLE OF THE ROARING TWENTIES" -- who they were, what they did, books they wrote, sports they exceled in, movies they starred in, changes they made.

I hope you sign up for the entire series.

Last edited:
This was the Silent Era Movies as well as the "Talkies" starting with "The Jazz Singer"
There were movies with action, romance, and a Western influence, with stars such as Tom Mix, Rudolph
Valentino, and Douglas Fairbanks.
Painters such as Gaugin, Picasso, Maltase, and Dali are names from the 20's we recognize and admire today. Their art hangs in museums and private homes.

Last edited:
If your Muse is missing, watch "Midnight in Paris"
This movie introduces one to authors F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemmingway, singer and music composer Cole Porter, Picasso and other Painters, Movie Makers, and other people of the period, all in a very memorable way.
To quote the main character, Gil, "These people and these times are exactly as we have come to know them down through history."

Last edited:
PEOPLE OF THE 1920's and THE BOOKS THEY WROTE:
There were incredible books written in the 1920's, and we ain't just talking about "The Great Gatsby", "A Farewell To Arms", and other required reading from your high school days. There were other books, other authors, thoughtful books, banned books, children's books.

Last edited:
AWESOME cards received from Karch.
Thanks for being so FAST
Thanks also for including a hostie card.

SPORTS

The 1920s has been called the Golden Age of American Sports. It also has been called the Age of the Spectator. .....
For the first time, large numbers of Americans began to pay money to watch other people compete in athletic contests.
Thought-out the 1920s Basketball was a second tier sport, only attended when there wasn’t a hockey or football game. But this all changed in 1925 with the creation of the American Basketball League (ABL).

As bizarre as it sounds, basketball was originally played with a soccer ball and peach baskets, with referees having to retrieve the ball each time a player got the soccer ball into the basket. In 1921, the string baskets we know today were introduced to the game. Later, in 1924 wooden backboards became mandatory and were attached behind the baskets to prevent spectators from blocking a shot.

Last edited:
AVIATORS
Aviators in the 1920's make GREAT ATCs for this swap.
There were huge advancements in plane design, speed, and distance. Records were set and broken as fast as the records were make.

Consider the "Rock Stars" and record breakers of flight:
On May 21, 1927, the aviator Charles A. Lindbergh landed his Spirit of St. Louis near Paris, completing the first solo airplane flight across the Atlantic Ocean. Lindbergh was just 25 years old when he completed the trip.

But Lucky Lindbergh was not the only pilot of the 20's. Remember female pilots Amelia Earhart, Harriet Quimby, Bessie Coleman, Elinor Smith Sullivan.

Remember Alfred Anderson (the Father of Black Aviation), and remember Howard Hughes for his contributions to flight and who also set several aviation speed records.

No one has mentioned Harry Houdini.
He lived and performed in the Roaring 20's.
He died on Halloween, October 31, 1926

Last edited:
Frank Lloyd Wright was a well-known Architect of the Roaring 20's.
Those who could, did! That is to say that the wealthy hired Frank Lloyd Wright to create their homes in a style they wanted to become accustomed to.

Wright drew from two sources in determining his creations: the nature of the site and the nature of the building materials.
One of Wright's houses is "Fallingwater", in Mill Run, Pennsylvania.
Envisioned in the 20's, but built and completed in the 1930's, "Fallingwater" rises above the waterfall over which it is built. It instantly became famous, and today it is a National Historic Landmark.

Here is a list of the 50 best books of the 1920's, from war, to humor, to children's books. See how many of the titles you recognize and/or have actually read.
http://www.stylist.co.uk/books/the-5...s-of-the-1920s

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The copyright on "The Great Gatsby" just expired this past January :eek:
With the copyright gone, there are now numerous knock-offs, re-wrights, and re-imagined "Great Gatsbys"

Widely considered to be a literary masterwork and a contender for the title of the Great American Novel, it is now the spring-board for Pulp fiction. :twitcy:

Last edited:
Clarence Birdseye was a real person!

In 1922, he formed a company, Birdseye Seafood, Inc., to freeze fish fillets with chilled air at −45 °F (−43 °C).
In 1928, Birdseye was successful in creating the double belt freezer which would be the forerunner to modern freezing technology.

What would we do without frozen TV dinners, and frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts?

If you are having difficulty between "PEOPLE" of the 1920's and "DISCOVERIES" of the 1920's, don't worry.

We know that Lord Carnarvon discovered Tutankhamun's Tomb, so I will accept an ATC based on Lord Carnarvon in the "PEOPLE" of the 1920's, as long as the ATC has Lord Carnarvon as the main focus.

But I will also accept the "DISCOVERY" of the Tomb of Tutankhamun by Lord Carnarvon, in the "INVENTIONS/DISCOVERIES" Swap. Again, please assure that the focus of any ATC for this swap has a focus on King Tut, his golden mask, the discovery of his tomb, etc.

So do what you wish or make one card for each swap.

Back
Top Bottom