Scenes in Surrealism: ATC Collage Swap Due June 16

For those struggling for ideas, consider sci-fi themes.
distopian/utopian themes
characters manipulating their environment in ways which reality wouldn't allow.
two environments that would never meet coming together. (morphing together, breaking through another etc)
an unlikely item replacing another (like Spottedcrow's fruit slice for a sun.)
a literal take on puns, or idioms (I often utilize "eye in the sky")
something larger than life. (elliejaybird has a dino as big as a house) or smaller.
I'll add more as we come up with them and will likely add it into the description.

Some famous surrealist painters that might inspire collage work are Salvador Dali, Max Ernst, Vladimir Kush, and for darker themes Zdzislaw Beksinski.

Feel free to post your creations/ideas/findings for inspiration.

Last edited:
I am working on some. My challenge is scale. Finding images small enough to use and cut out.....maybe it's just me!

Yes! Most images are just too big! I've been having a lot of luck with product catalogs though..Always small images as they try to fit the most they can on a page. Most online stores will send you catalogs for free in hopes that you'll see something you like. Three of my favorites are Bette's Attic, Collections ETC, and LTD Commodities

Lurking with intent. I have a card done, though it may be more absurdist rather than surreal. But the surrealist also liked some absurd things, and I may just be overthinking this.

Lurking with intent. I have a card done, though it may be more absurdist rather than surreal. But the surrealist also liked some absurd things, and I may just be overthinking this.

Lol...cant wait to see this! :D
Im gonna go with it's probably fine... The only requirements is that its a collage scene that brings fantasy and reality together. Any interpretation beyond that is entirely up to the artist. There is an extremely wide range of directions you can take it.

Okay I'm in. Here are my first two.

1_20210501_151614_copy_853x1191.jpg 1_20210501_151651_copy_856x1237.jpg

I couldn't help myself and both are titled.

The first is: The storm god Borislav could stir up quite a squall, but the savvy captain knew that playing PJ Harvey songs from Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea, would lead to good fortune and safe passage.

The second is: Bank employees head to work

Still lurking but with intent. I love Pancake Machine’s cards! Especially bank employees head to work. pM can always make me laugh!

I'm lurking and shaking nervously. I want to do this but my imagination is stalled, altough I love the tips, BArox818.
I'll see what I can come up with.

Back
Top Bottom