Cicada Life; Due August 17,2021

jo.on.the.go

going, going, always going
Friend of AFA
Media
Albums
Swap Due Date: August 17, 2021
Signup/Withdraw Date: none, just make sure your give yourself enough time for the cards to arrive
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3
Number of Participants: 30 (This is my third swap)
Medium: Open. I encourage hand drawn/hand painted, but whatever you want is fine with me, including photos you have taken. If you include stickers, do not make them the entire focus of the card. Try to keep embellishment to a minimum.

Cicada Life, a swap celebrating cicadas

Have you been swamped by cicadas? Or are you just curious about them? Please share your enthusiasm (or your disgust) for these critters by including them on an original ATC.

Your cards may be realistic, impressionistic, or even whimsical.

CARD GUIDELINES
* Only ATCs allowed. Cards need to measure 2.5" x 3.5" and must be sturdy enough to earn the name "card" (no floppy or flimsy paper).
* Each completed ATC should be in an individual vinyl sleeve for added protection.
* Cards should be be labeled on the back with your username, real name, where you live and name of swap. Maybe you could include a clever title.
* Please consider posting your finished cards in this thread and in the gallery. We all love eye candy and it serves as an inspiration for everybody!
* A host ATC in the swap theme is appreciated and will be treasured, but is not a requirement!

MAILING GUIDELINES
* Please PM me for my address when cards are ready to send. I moved in May, so be certain that you have a current address.
* Keep the due date in mind. I suggest 7 days for US players and 14 days for International players.
* US Players: Please send a large label with your name and address clearly printed on it, and one "Forever" stamp. I WILL PROVIDE ENVELOPES.
* International Players: Please send a large label with your name and address clearly printed. I will provide postage for the first three international players. Additional players please send $1 or a "Forever" Global stamp. I WILL PROVIDE ENVELOPES.

I-TRADERS and YOU-ROCKS
* I-Traders will be given when I receive your ATCs.
* When you receive your cards, please don't forget to leave you rock points for the artists whose ATCs you receive, and an I-Trader for me.

PARTICIPANTS
1. Suzi cards received; returns received
2. sarat cards received; returns received
3. Allegrae cards received; returns received
4. Seascape131 cards received; returns received
5. LuAnnP cards received; returns received
6. KatieV cards received; returns received
7. plumhill2001 cards received; returns received
8. akunzel cards received; returns received
9. Ancient Planter cards received; returns received
10. KaHeD cards received; returns received
11. KESagers cards received; returns received
12. Cheezyblasters cards received; returns received
13. robin_makes cards received; returns received
14. mrubyjean cards received; returns received

Here is a hand-drawn cicada card that I made:

Last edited:
My cards are finished, so I guess I'm ready to sign up! :)
Cicadas were challenging for me. I think my fine motor skills are waning as I age, lol.
Anyway, I was watching my granddaughters doing some art using YouTube's Kids Art Hub. I wondered if maybe he did a tutorial on cicadas. Sure enough! So, I followed his tutorial for my 4th card. (The one on the leaf.) And I think it's one of my favorites! (Just go to YouTube and type in "Kids Art Hub cicada" if you want to try it.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to have you join us plumhill2001. Your cards are wonderful. And thanks for sharing about the tutorial. I’ll have to check it out.

I watched the cicada tutorial - fun! I hope some of the lurkers who are hesitant to try cicadas will give it a try because it looks so easy. When I swap, I will try to mix up the cicada poses so that everybody gets a variety and nobody will receive all cicada-tutorial cards. Buzz, buzz, let's hear those cicadas.

It took me a while to figure out that there are two types (or more?) of cicadas. I kept coming up with pictures of black cicadas, and I've only seen green ones before. My green ones are annual cicadas, and the black ones are the 17 year variety. You guys probably already knew that, duh! :wub::laugh:

No, I did not know that, plumhill ~ thanks!

I remember that cicada buzz in the hot weather when I was a kid - it meant summer to me!

I am definitely lurking. Drawing four attractive cicadas will be a challenge for me. But I love yours, plumhill, and I just tried the tutorial, so I have one decent drawing!

Back
Top Bottom