Plants and Flowers By Any Other Name, Due September 03, 2021

Lurkers welcome, plant_happy_life.

I see several plants in your gallery -- the Venus Fly Trap, The Forget Me Not Flowers, the Aloe Vera with its healing powers, that could be easily adapted to this swap, plus you said you have a couple ideas floating around.

Hope you can come back and join us.

GORGEOUS cards received from An.M.Sudyka.
Great assortment -- cool plant/flower names.
Love all the info on the card backs.

FAB cards received from LuAnnP.
LOVE them all, but one that moves is really special.

Last edited:
AWESOME cards received from Cleopatra.
Great assortment.
You said you grow a few weird plants you’d love to include in your ATCs.......
Were any of your ATCs about the weird plants you grow????

LOVE your dandelion with the skull center.
Great passion flower for love spells
Cool dead mans thimbles
LOVE the Venus Fly Trap. I have tried growing them, without luck.
Do you grow them?
I am told my soil is too rich, so I am trying to fix that problem.

Thanks so much for including a hostie card.
I will probably keep the passion flower, but I am undecided.

Yes, the Venus Fly Trap is one of my weird plants. Love it when it catches a fly! I also grow pitcher plants or nepenthes (nefarious me, if I swat a fly it goes into the pitchers!), as well as pinguiculas and drosera (sundews) most in my greenhouse window in the kitchen.

I use soil that has no nutrients or fertilizers. The best mix is long-fiber sphagnum moss and perlite, or peat moss, perlite and sand, depending on the plant. Also, you must use distilled water; tap water, just like regular potting soil, will kill the plants. Check out www.growcarnivorousplants.com. They sell plants -- they do a good job shipping -- as well as offering adivice, soil products, etc. Plus, sign up for their newsletter and you can enter their monthly contest. I won once and got $75. worth of plant for free! Yay! (Sorry about the long post; I do love my plants!)

Yes, the Venus Fly Trap is one of my weird plants. Love it when it catches a fly! I also grow pitcher plants or nepenthes (nefarious me, if I swat a fly it goes into the pitchers!), as well as pinguiculas and drosera (sundews) most in my greenhouse window in the kitchen.

I use soil that has no nutrients or fertilizers. The best mix is long-fiber sphagnum moss and perlite, or peat moss, perlite and sand, depending on the plant. Also, you must use distilled water; tap water, just like regular potting soil, will kill the plants. Check out www.growcarnivorousplants.com. They sell plants -- they do a good job shipping -- as well as offering adivice, soil products, etc. Plus, sign up for their newsletter and you can enter their monthly contest. I won once and got $75. worth of plant for free! Yay! (Sorry about the long post; I do love my plants!)

Thanks so much for all the tips, tricks, and information, PLUS the Long Post.
LOVE it.
I'm going to the website, and I am signing up for the newsletter.

I do have one pitcher plant, that I am growing in a south window, that has sent up a vine that has circled the window TWICE! And it puts out gorgeous pitchers like there is no tomorrow.

I want to split it, and I did some research and I read about sphagnum moss, but when I went to the plant store, I ran into the "Scotts" vender, who sold me "Sphagnum" moss which it isn't!!!! (One would think the vender would know his own products, and the fact that every moss in the store is NOT sphagnum!)
Now I have the right stuff, so I'll see what I can do.

Thanks again for taking the time to share!

Ok here are mine

View attachment 224850 Angel's Trumpet ... beautiful plant in the Brugmansia family. Ironically, every part of this plant is HIGHLY TOXIC. Leaves, flowers, seeds and roots! Ingesting can also cause euphoria and hallucinations. Not recommended without a drs supervision unless you really want to meet the Angel's!

View attachment 224851 "Lucky bamboo" is not true bamboo at all. It is actually Dracaena Sanderiana. Grows perfectly indoors in just water too! It has commonly and long been known as a Chinese symbol for strength, due to fast growth and resilience. Given as a gift it is good luck. Giving 2 stalks wishes someone love and double luck. Giving 3 stalks wishes them happiness, long life and wealth. Giving FOUR STALKS is NOT WISE or recommended because in the Chinese language the word for "four" closely resembles "death"- meaning you wish them negative energy. There are also correspondences for 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 21 stalks.

View attachment 224852 Monotropa uniflora AKA "ghost pipe" or "indian pipe" is an herbaceous perennial. The essence is powerful in assisting those suffering psychoemotional shocks and also those experiencing personal/ spiritual death and rebirth (hence the name?). Serves as a tonic, sedative, nervine, antispasmodic. Unfortunately, possibly due to drought... the plant is becoming more and more rare and elusive.

FAB plant ATCS, plant_happy_life.
LOVE the the explanatory information you included.
I didn't know any of the stuff about
Dracaena, and I have several plants, one each at the front and back door, and also at several of the windows -- keeps out bad luck, naughty ghosts, negative energy.

However, I think Indian pipe is my favorite.
It grew wild at several of the northern Minnesota resorts when I was younger.
I wonder if there is any stands of it still in that area.

Thanks for posting such fabulous inspiration.

Love your cards plant_happy_life, especially the ghost pipe. Vicki z you do have to be careful when you buy plant stuff from a nursery. I made the mistake of buying Scott’s peat moss only to realize (after I opened it) that it was fortified with fertilizer, a no-no to use. Isn’t plant talk fun?!

I wrote down seven funny common plant names, and made four cards, but decided to go ahead and do the other three, they are so fun. Haven’t started on them yet, but soon. Decided to Illustrate the common name (if you didn’t know it was a plant) and draw the real plant in an upper corner along with its botanical name. They should be done in a few days.

plant_happy_life,
Your cards have arrived and they are wonderful.
Love the detail, and the info on the back is perfect.

Lurkers welcome Bluevioletz.
Hope you can join us.
But,
Don't wait too long if you decide to join us.

Wow CICI!!! your cards are absolutely beautiful!!!! I'm still watching this thread and hoping I can get my act together to make some!

Wow CICI!!! your cards are absolutely beautiful!!!! I'm still watching this thread and hoping I can get my act together to make some!

Just a reminder, Bluevioletz,
Deadline for cards TO BE IN MY HANDS is September 03.
That is only 3 weeks, and mail transit can take up to a full week, giving you only 2 weeks (approximately) to get your cards done.
Hope you can join us.

AWESOME cards received from CiCiCreates.
ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR ATCs.
LOVE all the details on the plants you included.
Thanks so much for including a hostie card.

So glad to know you received them safely, and that you like them. They were interesting to research and fun to make!

I would like to join. A little late ... but I was playing with vampires. There may be more than these. I will put them out for tomorrow's mail.

View attachment 225381 Monkey Puzzle Tree (Araucaria araucana) - Native to Chile, but existing since the time of dinosaurs. English Victorians thought that the tree would puzzle monkeys trying to climb it.

View attachment 225382 Mother-in-law's Tongue (Sansevieria fasciata) - The long leaves were thought a representation of the stereotypical sharp tongue of a mother-in-law.

View attachment 225383 Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum). The genus name comes from the Greek word "silybos" meaning "tuft" or "tassel".

View attachment 225384 Sneezewort (Achillea ptarmica) - The plant was historically used to create a sneezing powder.

Back
Top Bottom