ATC Virtuoso
Media
Swap Due Date –September, 3, 2021
Signup/withdraw Date: August 27th
Number of Cards: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants – Unlimited
Media – Mixed Media Collage
Theme: Elements of Surrealism

For this swap, you will create surreal scenes using collage/ mixed media technique. You will be blending fantasy and reality through an irrational juxtaposition of collaged images. (For those that participated in the last surrealism swap this one is very similar with a bit of a twist to switch things up)

As this is an Elements of Surrealism Swap, each card should contain one of the 5 elements of nature that you'll find listed below. You can choose to picture them literally or you can represent them more abstractly like in this card that I created for the last swap Here, the mountains and tree were represented through ice cream:
5B9334C1-EAB9-4F47-88E1-754D9A0C391F.jpg
The direction you take is entirely up to you. Have fun, and let your imagination run wild, just be sure to record your element on the back of your card.

The 5 elements of nature are:
  • Earth
  • Air
  • Fire
  • Water
  • Space / Void

For those struggling for ideas, you can consider:
sci-fi themes.
distopian/utopian themes
characters manipulating their environment/items in ways which reality wouldn't allow.
two environments that would never meet coming together. (morphing together, breaking through another etc)
an unlikely item replacing another like a fruit slice for a sun or my ice cream card above
a literal take on puns, or idioms (I often utilize "eye in the sky")
exaggerated sizes
etc etc etc...

Some famous surrealist painters that might inspire collage work are Salvador Dali, Max Ernst, Vladimir Kush, and for darker themes Zdzislaw Beksinski.

Card Guidelines:
Each card standard ATC size of 2.5 x 3.5 inches.
Each card must be original and unique.
Any embellishments must be relatively flat and lightweight.
Each card should be on a sturdy background and must be in an individual plastic sleeve
Label each card with at least swap name and your username....real name, title of card, your location and date are also a good idea to add
Don't forget to write which element(s) you chose

Mailing Guidelines:
~Please mail cards in a business sized envelope, spreading the cards over the space of the envelope.
~Please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for your return cards.
~If mailing from the U.S., 1 Forever stamp should cover the cost of returns unless you submit 6 cards
~If you are mailing internationally, please provide either a U.S. Global Forever stamp or a well-concealed $1 bill.
I also take Paypal if you'd rather go that route.

*When you are ready to mail your cards, please just private message me for my address. If you have it from an earlier swap, it has not changed.
*iTraders will be given when cards are received by me.
*Please note that cards must be received by the due date. No cards and no communication will result in neutral iTrader. You may withdraw any time before the due date, but to ensure cards received on time I'm asking you to sign up by no later than 8/27
*A host card would be greatly appreciated and loved, but is never required.
*Please make sure to leave an iTrader for your host (me) and You Rocks! for the artists that created your return cards when you receive them.

Players:
names turn blue (linked for rep points) once cards are received
Barox818
Allegrae
SpottedCrow
theweavershand
joamosatcharterdotnet
Elliejaybird
NancyL
redplantlady
leydab
pancake machine
Helene
Laffqueen
LuckyCat479
huddlestonmollie
zandradee
tdapra13
loveless
BetsyG

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by space. Like outer space? Or like distance between things?

I was always familiar with four elements... it’s google that insisted there was 5, with the 5th being space... other results have shown it to be “void” which is a similar concept. Outer space definitely works but it’s not limited to that... think of it as space in terms of a sense of voidness. Hope that helps. I’ll add it to the description for anyone else confused as well.

Today our dog got her first bullymake box. It comes w/2 toys for tough chewers and 3 bags of treats. There is also a theme with a theme. the theme is illustrated on a card and for June, it's space! Like outer space. I now have an image of a space ship and a dog in a little space suit and a starry sky. Just what I need!

Today our dog got her first bullymake box. It comes w/2 toys for tough chewers and 3 bags of treats. There is also a theme with a theme. the theme is illustrated on a card and for June, it's space! Like outer space. I now have an image of a space ship and a dog in a little space suit and a starry sky. Just what I need!

That’s awesome! Can’t wait to see what you create with it..

I'd like to join again as well. I've even completed a couple of cards. If anything, they are a bit weirder than the ones I did before.

Oh Michelle, don't worry! The Greek Goddess Kymata Aera is looking out for us, and our cell reception is great!
1_20210701_214446_copy_1142x839.jpg

You've got it Timmy; work that line back and forth like I showed you - my you're reeling in a big one!
1_20210701_214410_copy_1161x830.jpg

Back
Top Bottom