Citra Solv Background Swap, Mixed Media Collage, Due October 28th, 2021

Today, I went to Homedepot Goodwill, halo animal thrift, Az Humane society thrift and Salavation army. They do not even have a magazine section anymore. So I was just at the library this week, and not Nat Geo. But because I didnt want to make any left turns, I went to the Library to pick up a book I put a hold on. THEY HAD ONE! and the magazines are 5 for 25 cents.

So the chemical I got isnt citra solv. It oxygen orange.

You can get citrasolve at chewy.com and I am going to go there. I need some wet cat food anyway.

DONE it is should be here in 1-3 days. and I have wet cat food for hubbys favorite felines. And I got the old dog some wet small food, So I spent over $49 to get the free shipping. I would have bought the pet food anyway.

Score, CastleQueen5! Chewy is so easy to order from. That is where I got mine as well and I even saw when I was ordering more cat food this week that the price for Citra Solv had gone down a tiny bit more. :)

My citrasolv arrived without a lid. They are sending me a new one. I went to use it, outside, and the wind blew it over. ARGGGG

I made these backgrounds. I stamped ink with the caps of my insulin pens. One is square and one is round. The pen was tossed when empty but I saw art potential in the caps.

1_citrasolv_backgrounds.jpg

I will add some images, and the rest soon. I am going to look through a box for something fun.

I bought some Citra Solv today at our local Fred Meyer's. this is a grocery/department store in WA and Oregon. I had ordered some back issues for the surrealism swaps. today i will find some interesting pages.

We are having not-August weather. More like what we traditionally have in June. Overcast, a bit chilly, fleeting sun.

My citrasolv arrived without a lid. They are sending me a new one. I went to use it, outside, and the wind blew it over. ARGGGG

I made these backgrounds. I stamped ink with the caps of my insulin pens. One is square and one is round. The pen was tossed when empty but I saw art potential in the caps.

1_citrasolv_backgrounds.jpg

I will add some images, and the rest soon. I am going to look through a box for something fun.

Oh, man, CQ5! What a bummer with the Citra Solv, but those backgrounds are great! And I like the half image, half text one!

I bought some Citra Solv today at our local Fred Meyer's. this is a grocery/department store in WA and Oregon. I had ordered some back issues for the surrealism swaps. today i will find some interesting pages.

Sounds like a plan. Can't wait to see your results!

At this time, I do not know what my mailing address will be when this swap is mailed back. My return envelope is blank. Look inside for 2 bunny postage stamps for you to use as needed in the swap.

I could hold off until I know more, but hubby wants to get a PO box at our new address. Small town.

I played with my citrasolv today. Sunny day, such a nice surprise. Did it on 2 table put together on the deck. Gloves such a good idea. I used an old cooky sheet to my my magazine in, to collect some of the ink. I wore arting clothes. Good idea as I got ink on the shirt.
The staples refused to be removed. I cut with scissors the pages I like. We only have to have pieces 2 1/2 by 31/ inches.

To keep the pages from blowing away after they were separated from the magazine, I place plastic hangers over them. I am hoping to hose off any ink on hangers, table cloth etc.

I had a some citrasolv after the bottle with no lid fell over in the wind on my back porch. I used a Rectangular Pyrex pan. I soaked them awile and then I hung them on a clothes line and sprayed them. Which really didint change things much. I really got some great paper out of it. I will take some photos.

I knew if I put up a line somewhere and hung my pages, the dog would find them and eat them. Being on table, she couldn't see them.
Bark, branches, even rose bush branches,she chews on them all. She eats paper scraps in my Art room. If you spray a water hose at her, she chomps at the spray. She is our distraction.

I am lurking. Picked up old National Geographics at the library. Working on the Citrasolv. This looks like so much fun!

I just Citra-Solv'd my Nat Geo and I'm getting ideas from the cool pages spread out all over my basement.

Please sign me up!

Lessons learned from doing this for the first time:

- prepare for a bigger mess than the teacher in the video made. I was glad that I spread garbage bags around my work area, and that I had a pan ready to hold the drippy magazine!

- only poke a tiny hole in the top. I poked a bunch of holes and it came out really fast. I ended up using almost the whole bottle for 1 mag, which was way too much. The magazine was dripping black Citra-Solv'd ink

- rest assured that the process is very forgiving. Even with using way too much, it still worked. My pages took longer to react than they did in the video. I also had problems with staples, so many of my pages have fingerprints on the edges, but they still look good. The act of wrangling pages out modified the papers and added effects

- don't get attached to what anything looks like. The pages changed as I moved them to rip them out. Simply turning the page and re-opening it changes everything.

- Mine turned out with a lot of black. It could be that the magazine I used had a lot of dark images. Next time, I might rip out the darkest images and do them separately. The black also might not have run so much if I hadn't used so much Citra-Solv. On the plus side, I have plenty of Halloween paper now.

I ended up doing this in my basement because I didn't want wind outdoors to blow the pages around. My house now has a citrus scent which isn't unpleasant, but be advised that it is strong.

Thanks for introducing me to this method. I can't wait for those pages to dry so I can start playing with them!

I just Citra-Solv'd my Nat Geo and I'm getting ideas from the cool pages spread out all over my basement.

Please sign me up!

Lessons learned from doing this for the first time:

- prepare for a bigger mess than the teacher in the video made. I was glad that I spread garbage bags around my work area, and that I had a pan ready to hold the drippy magazine!

- only poke a tiny hole in the top. I poked a bunch of holes and it came out really fast. I ended up using almost the whole bottle for 1 mag, which was way too much. The magazine was dripping black Citra-Solv'd ink

- rest assured that the process is very forgiving. Even with using way too much, it still worked. My pages took longer to react than they did in the video. I also had problems with staples, so many of my pages have fingerprints on the edges, but they still look good. The act of wrangling pages out modified the papers and added effects

- don't get attached to what anything looks like. The pages changed as I moved them to rip them out. Simply turning the page and re-opening it changes everything.

- Mine turned out with a lot of black. It could be that the magazine I used had a lot of dark images. Next time, I might rip out the darkest images and do them separately. The black also might not have run so much if I hadn't used so much Citra-Solv. On the plus side, I have plenty of Halloween paper now.

I ended up doing this in my basement because I didn't want wind outdoors to blow the pages around. My house now has a citrus scent which isn't unpleasant, but be advised that it is strong.

Thanks for introducing me to this method. I can't wait for those pages to dry so I can start playing with them!

Welcome, somnia! So glad to have you! And thank you for the recap of your findings. I also ended up with a lot of darker pages, but for me the reactions happened really fast. I did mine outdoors in the AZ heat and had the pages drying together before I could get them separated and laid out. But it was all good in the end. :)

Back
Top Bottom