Going Batty - Due November 5, 2021

I had no idea there was such a thing as a bat house, I will go out at dusk and see if I see any, there are several places in my area I can go look, I had no idea that they were so soft to touch, I think they have had much undeserved press too, as I said before I love all the wild life.

Vicki Z bats have a very unique scent, or rather it is their guano (poop) that has a recognizable odor. Because bats roost in colonies with lots of bodily contact, and they will stay in the same location year after year, the guano collects in piles beneath them. I often wonder about their “toilet habits” in these colonies because they hang by their feet with the head down. Anyway, in some places guano is collected by people because it an especially rich fertilizer. And talking about the odor, once when I was in a castle in Ireland and another time inside a pyramid in Egypt, I could tell there were bats there because of the smell. But I had never heard of somebody selling bat scent.

Great cards Ancient Planter. I am looking forward to seeing them in person.

Have you read the book "Steal Like an Artist"? The premise is that it is okay to use the art of others as inspiration, and so it should be okay to use the same inspiration as Seascape131. An awful lot of bat cards I made are based on photos that I have seen on line or in books.

As my inspiration I chose some of my favorite bat characters ( I hope that is a suitable interpretation of the theme, Jo). See if you recognize any of them.

Attachments

• BattySwap1a.jpg
    BattySwap1a.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 16
  • BattySwap1b.jpg
    BattySwap1b.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 13
We live just outside of Austin, TX which is very proud to be the home of the world's largest urban bat colony. They can be seen in several places around town but the epicenter is the Congress Avenue Bridge in downtown Austin.

Check out this link for some info and pics. https://www.austinbats.org/ They are truly a sight to behold!

Theweavershand - Your cards are great, thanks for sharing. I fell in love with Stellaluna. That is one of my FAVORITE books. I have my own copy and I have given it as a gift to an adult friend as well as two of my granddaughters when they turned 4. I also own a colony of stuffed toy bats, and Stellaluna is part of the group.

Hello! I'd like to join.

We used to see a lot of bats at evening ball games, when they flew near the field lights. I'm guessing there were tons of bugs for them there.

Closest bat encounter was when one somehow got into the dorm in college and we had to figure out how to get it out of the bathroom.

When kiddo was smaller, we went to the Philadelphia zoo a lot. The vampire bat exhibit was one of his favorites. I don't think I ever explained that it wasn't water in their dishes, though! :nah:

I have not read it. I will have to check it out. The only bat poetry I know is
Twinkle, twinkle little bat
How I wonder where you’re at
Up above the world you fly
Like a tea tray in the sky.
Lewis Carroll

I’m lurking for now. I want to see if I can actually draw a decent looking bat! We have a grove of decaying trees behind our property, and there are lots of bats living back there. I can always tell who the bats are by the way that they fly. Unfortunately, we really can’t use our pool after dark, since the bats will dive bomb you while you are in the pool. I think that the lights attract them, but they even swoop down when the lights aren’t on :eek:

Jo - just letting you know that I'm home from Sacramento as of an hour ago so my bats will begin winging their way across the country to you tomorrow.... and I LOVE "By the Light of the Moon! What a great bat! :jiggy:

Back
Top Bottom