Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Yule Be Happy - Due December 21, 2021

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful art, Jo! I wonder how the parasite, mistletoe, became a symbol of Christmas romance? We had to pay a tree guy big bucks to come out and cut off the branches of one of our trees that was infected with mistletoe... but not before we kissed under it, of course.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - E. Burke I have a new address as of 6/2020 so be sure to ask for it!

2. Likes jo.on.the.go, mrubyjean liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a huge mistletoe fan - did not know it was a parasite!
    Love holly too - the Pacific NW has beautiful big holly trees - not so much in the Northeast.
    I'm Hosting ATC Swaps Again! ~
    **APC Wishlist** **Chunky Book Wishlist**

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found this online:

According to Live Science, one of the first known groups to have a tradition involving mistletoe were the Celts, namely the Druids, who believed that it had sacred powers related to vivacity. They tended to decorate homes with mistletoe during the summer and winter solstices.

The Greeks believed that mistletoe could cure a number of ailments and started the habit of kissing under the mistletoe during the festival of Saturnalia and later during marriage ceremonies due to its being a symbol of fertility.

The most commonly cited reason for why mistletoe and kissing became connected is the Norse myth of Baldur, god of light and son of the goddess of love, Frigga. The story varies depending on the storyteller, as most myths do, but the main tale goes as follows:

Frigga discovered that her son was prophesied to die. In trying to stop this from happening, she immediately sought out an oath from every animate and inanimate object in the world that they would not harm Baldur.

They all agreed, but she overlooked the tiny mistletoe plant and Loki, the trickster god, used a branch of mistletoe to create a spear/arrow that he convinced Baldur’s blind brother, Hodur, to throw at his sibling, killing him.

As Frigga wept over her dead son’s body, the myth says, her tears became the white berries that grow on mistletoe. When the berries were placed on Baldur’s breast, he was revived. In her joy, Frigga named the plant as a symbol of love and whoever stood beneath it should be offered a kiss.

5. Likes jo.on.the.go liked this post
    jo.on.the.go is offline I want to go, go, go; but it is still no, no, no
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    When we first moved to Pennsylvania we were hiking along the Appalachian trail and came upon a sign stating that we were at the largest holly tree along the trail. We were looking everywhere - having come from California we were expecting a really BIG tree - like the giant sequoias. We finally found it: a good sized holly tree. But we were disappointed.
    "If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint, then by all means paint and the voice will be silenced" Van Gogh

7. Likes mrubyjean liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to play along. I have cards ready to mail tomorrow

9. Likes jo.on.the.go liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for joining Arc2dreams. I sent you my address. You don't live all that far from me, so I'm sure that I'll have your cards before the end of the week.
    "If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint, then by all means paint and the voice will be silenced" Van Gogh

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    leydab - your beautiful cards arrived today. Thank you for the hostess card.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cards in the mail with priority!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    CardinalHouse: Your Yule cards arrived yesterday. They are beautiful. Thanks for the hostess card.

Is everybody looking forward to the days becoming longer?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Arc2dreams - your Yule cards arrived today. Fantastic!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    luckycat479 i your cards arrived today. They are so nice.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    CARDS HAVE BEEN SWAPPED!

HAPPY YULE TO ALL
    Last edited by jo.on.the.go; 12-20-2021 at 10:09 PM.

17. Thanks mrubyjean, Ancient Planter thanked this post
    Likes Darktee liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    This swap really got me excited about Yule. I learned so much when I was looking for symbols that I hadn't heard of before. One that I really liked was the Yule Goat and this year I purchased a straw goat that was handmade and shipped from Sweden. I was impressed with the company policy; I ordered on-line December 20 and it was delivered December 23! I'm not sure about AFA's policy about "advertising" companies, so I won't give you the details here. But if you are interested in purchasing your very own straw Yule Goat, PM me and I will give you the details.

19. Likes mrubyjean, Ancient Planter liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got my lovely cards today. This was such a fun new twist for me and everyone did a great job. I got cards from Jo, Seascape131, and Cardamon Moon. Thanks and thanks, Jo, for hosting.

21. Thanks jo.on.the.go thanked this post
    Likes jo.on.the.go liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got a great Yule gift today when my ATCs arrived. Terrific art from Darktee, Jo, and Seascape131. Thank you so much, Jo, for hosting this swap! So much fun, and I learned a lot!
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - E. Burke I have a new address as of 6/2020 so be sure to ask for it!

23. Thanks jo.on.the.go thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love my beautiful Yule arrivals from Cardinal House, Cardamom Moon and jo.on.the.go!
    This was a terrific swap, perfectly timed and so informative ~ thank you, Jo!

25. Thanks jo.on.the.go thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got my cards today. They are all fantastic and beautiful. I am proud to have them in my collection! SPECIAL THANKS to Jo for hosting this swap!

27. Thanks jo.on.the.go thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will be archiving this swap soon, probably on January 7. If you want to delete your attachments before it is archived, now is the time to do deleting. Once the swap is archived, you will need to have a moderator delete your attachments once you have reached your limit for number of attachments allowed.