Post Thanks / Like

Midwinter Traditions Legends Lore, Due February 18, 2022

ATC Swap Due Date: Due February 18, 2022
    Signup/Withdraw Date: Due February 18, 2022
    Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
    Number of Participants: Unlimited
    Media: Any and all mediums and techniques are welcome

Midwinter Traditions Legends Lore, Due February 18, 2022

In the Northern Hemisphere, days are getting shorter and shorter, and nights are getting longer and longer, with darkness setting in around 4PM, a time that just a few short months ago was late afternoon.

History tells us that early people panicked when this happened, thinking the sun was leaving, taking heat, and plant growth, and the good life along with it.
    Many traditions and rituals were historically created to bring back the sun, the warmth, and the longer days.

This Swap is about Midwinter/Mid Summer Celebrations (Winter Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere) / (Summer Solstice in the Southern Hemisphere).

This Swap is not about Christmas. There are numerous Christmas, Vintage Christmas, Christmas Card, Santa Swaps and/or Children’s Christmas Swaps you can participate in if that is where your interests lie. Your cards must have a Traditional, Legendary, Historical, or Pagan flair / theme to them, or show celebration of the Mid Winter/Mid Summer Celebrations around the world. (Did you know Australia, celebrating the SUMMER Solstice this time of year, still has a Santa and a Sleigh, although this sleigh is NOT pulled by reindeer!)

The Winter Solstice is a Mid-winter festival historically celebrated around December 21st. The Germanic peoples celebrated the Winter Solstice, which they call "Yule" from late December to early January, culminating their festivities with 12th Night, January 6th. Traditions include decorating a fir or spruce tree with live candles, burning a Yule log, hanging mistletoe and holly branches and other greenery, giving gifts, singing, and much celebration and merriment. And lots and lots of food.

Midwinter Traditions, Legends, Lore
    St. Lucia Day / Candles and Celebrations (Sweden)
    Longest Night / Cutting the Yule Log / Fires and Feasting
    Baking / Bouche de Noel (an EDIBLE Yule Log) (France)
    Holly King / Oak King
    Cookies, Candy Canes, and Caroling
    Beef, Breads and Beer
    Warming Soups, Stews, and Songs
    The Holiday Pickle (Germany)
    Figgy Pudding (Medieval England)
    Hogmanay (Scotland)
    12th Night (UK)
    Saunas and Story Telling
    Evergreens and Everything Else to Welcome Imbolc

Traditions and Symbolism:
    Bring in the Yule Tree / Burn the Yule Log
    Lighting the Fir Tree / Greenery Decorations
    Burn Red and Green Candles - Colors and Symbols of the Winter Solstice
    Put out Wheat Sheaves to attract and Feed the Birds
    Weave Straw Stalk to create Julbocks
    Celebrate the Stag
    Feed the Birds
    Year End Cleaning and Sage House Smudging

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome. Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take an image, cut it out, glue it to a card, and call it done. Color the background. Add some texture. Add more than one image. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! I do ask that you send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

* Please sign up by posting to this thread. I will acknowledge you and add your user name to the participant list below.
    * ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
    * All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve.
    * All cards need to be standard ATC size: 2.5” x 3.5”
    * All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If it is created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, or more firm, such as a cereal box.
    * Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
    * Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
    .....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
    * Please confirm there is enough postage on both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
    * If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link.
    http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 58 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards; or one forever and one 20 cent stamp (additional ounce postage) if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy or extra bulky (or 2 forever stamps if that is easier).

* International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.

* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due IN MY HANDS by February 18, 2022. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. Returns will be mailed promptly. Please leave iTrader for your host ONLY (me) when you receive your returns, and please take the time to leave Reputation/You Rock points for your fellow players from whom you receive cards.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have not been in one of my swaps for a while, please PM me for my address when you sign up or when you are ready to mail.

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Here are some links to help you get started:

Yule Logs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule_log

Yule Tree
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_tree

The Yuletide Goat
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule_goat

A Midwinter Game
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap-dragon_(game)
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 12-03-2021 at 08:28 AM.

2. Thanks Boots thanked this post
    Likes Boots liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently I have used all my allotted space in the previous post, so here are the current participants:

Midwinter: Traditions / Legends / Lore
    Due February 18, 2022

1. Vicki Z -- Cards Received 1/13
    2. Boots -- Cards Received 1/13
    3. Sandy
    4. somnia
    5. luckycat479
    6. middleearthtraveller -- Cards Received 1/11
    7. jo.on.the.go -- Cards Received 1/11
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 01-12-2022 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Add/Update Participants

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    St. Lucia Day is coming up
    December 13

December 13 is St Lucia Day. Still celebrated in Sweden; as well as in Minnesota, where there is a large contingency of Swedish/Finnish people. A young girl, or girls, representing St. Lucia, and wearing a crown of white candles, go from house to house with food and drink. St Lucia Day is celebrated with candle crowned young women in a Festival of Lights Procession, singing and distributing drinks and Lucia Buns.

The word “lucia” comes from the Latin word “lux” meaning light. Thus St Lucia represents the returning light or the promise of returning light very soon.

Dial on the first card turns to change the candles from black (the longest night) to white (the returning sun)
    Second card hand drawn
    Third card "Moon Rabbit" in St. Lucia Candle Procession

img042.jpg

St. Lucia Day in Sweden
    img005.jpg

St. Lucia Day Card
    img038.jpg
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 12-07-2021 at 06:18 PM.

5. Thanks Boots thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    LEGEND OF THE YULE LOG

Let's Celebrate Midwinter
    Cutting Down and Bringing in the Yule Tree / Yule Log

img046.jpg
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 12-11-2021 at 08:10 AM.

7. Thanks Boots thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes please! Let's celebrate the Holly King!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please sign me up! I'd like to research and draw Kachina dolls.
    My Available to Trade ATCs
    I'm ksomnia on Instagram

10. Thanks Vicki Z, Boots thanked this post
    Likes Vicki Z, Boots liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome somnia and luckycat479.
    I signed you up.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    How much do you know about Midwinter and midwinter festivities around the world?

I have a short Quiz for you.
    If you already know the answers, Fantastic!
    If you have to look up the answers, it is worthwhile research!
    As you play, have fun!

Please do NOT list your answers in the thread.
    Allow others the chance to discover their own information.

You can PM me your responses if you want feed-back.

Who was the first person to put lights on a fir tree?
    (Do not focus on electric light bulbs.....the answer to this question about "lights" predates electricity).

In todays' tree market, which state grows the most holiday fir trees?
    Need help? Multiple Choice:
    Oregon, Michigan, Pennsylvania?

Which ONE of these historical facts is NOT true?
    Multiple Choice:
    1) Trees were hung upside down in the 1400's
    2) Real candles were placed on fir trees.....and were later lit up.
    3) Fir trees were cut down and brought inside to be decorated during early October.

Prior to the popularity of fir trees, branches were cut from dormat trees, brought inside, and were placed in pots of earth in the hope of flowering for the holidays.
    What was the most common tree branches were cut from?
    Multiple Choice:
    1) Oak
    2) Hawthorn
    3) Cherry Trees
    4) Apple Trees

In 1979 the National Holiday Tree in Washington DC was NOT lit up for the holidays.
    Why?
    Hint....Only the star at the top of the tree was illuminated.

Statistically, in the Unites States, from last year's poll, what is the day/date most people put up their tree?
    Multiple Choice:
    1) November 29
    2) December 05
    3) December 11
    4) December 24

What is "Wassailing."
    Hint: People gather to drink.
    "Who/What" do they drink to?

When, on the eve of December 24th, one leaves out milk and cookies for Santa, what treat should also be left out for Santa's reindeer?

Although Santa's Mailbox seems to magically appear at every store and mall this time of year, should you have to actually mail your letter to Santa, what is his zip code?
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 12-11-2021 at 12:02 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Additional Quiz Questions:
    If you already know the answers, Fantastic!
    If you have to look up the answers, it is worthwhile research!
    As you play, have fun!

Please do NOT list your answers in the thread.
    Allow others the chance to discover their own information.
    You can PM me your responses if you want feed-back.

Midwinter in other countries:

Australia, located in the Southern Hemisphere, is celebrating the SUMMER Solstice this time of year.
    But even in summer, Australia has its Santa with his Sleigh, but this sleigh is NOT pulled by reindeer!
    What critters guide Santa's sleigh through the air to deliver presents "down under"?

In Italy, it is NOT Santa who brings gifts (and or pieces of coal), it is a special woman.
    What is her name, and what is her means of transport?

What is the New Zealand Yule tree called?
    HINTS:
    It is an evergreen tree in the Myrtle Family.
    It produces a brilliant display of red flowers, and when in bloom looks like a lovingly decorated Holiday Tree.
    It has symbolic meaning in Miori Mythology.

What country has a legend about a giant cat who shows up in Midwinter?
    What country hangs up a pickle (real or glass tree ornament) for good luck in the new year?
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 12-22-2021 at 07:17 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I'd like to play!

15. Thanks Vicki Z thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    SLEIGH BELLS

Medford Sleigh Races.

Although “Jingle Bells” is now a Yuletide staple, there is no mention of Christmas or any other holiday in the song. Some historical accounts report that the tune was first performed for a Thanksgiving service at church, but the lyrics might have been too risqué for an ecclesiastical audience. The less-known verses of the song describe picking up girls, drag-racing on snow, and a high-speed crash.
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 12-11-2021 at 07:56 AM.

17. Thanks Boots thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you know that "Jingle Bells" was the first song ever broadcast from space?

And that is, to me, a secondary surprise.........
    The real story is that nine days before Christmas, in 1965, the two astronauts aboard Gemini 6 had just completed a rendezvous with Gemini 7, when the crew suddenly gave a troubling report to Mission Control: “We have an object, looks like a satellite going from north to south, up in a polar orbit. He’s in a very low trajectory traveling from north to south and has a very high climbing ratio. It looks like it might even be a very low descent. It looks like he might be going to reenter soon and may be on a collision course with us..... Stand by one …

The tense report of the unidentified flying object was suddenly broken by the sound of “Jingle Bells” with “Wally” Schirra playing a tiny harmonica accompanied by Tom Stafford shaking a handful of small sleigh bells they had brought along for the space voyage.

The astronauts thought their "joke" was hysterical. Ground Control took longer to find the humor!!!!!

19. Thanks Vicki Z thanked this post
    Likes Vicki Z, somnia liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    MIDWINTER BELLS
    Bells have been important since ancient times.
    In some Asian cultures bells are hung in doorways, or on both the door itself, to provide protection against evil
    Bells were rung to keep away evil spirits that might try to enter homes when family and friends come through the door. (Family could enter, evil could not)

In some cultures, guns, gunpowder, firecrackers and noisemakers replaced bells.
    Tyroleans fired traditional double barrel guns to chase away evil spirits.

Evil is associated with night/darkness/the black of night, so bells were often rung during Midwinter or the morning after the Winter Solstice to drive away demons that surfaced during this darkest time of the year.
    Bells were rung in the morning after the Solstice, as everyone began to wake, to chase away the dark days and herald in the warmer, brighter days that followed the winter solstice.

img052.jpg
    Collage Bells
    .....Copper Paper
    .....Heat Embossed Bells
    .....Copper Metallic Embellishments
    .....Crackle Paint Background

Sleigh Rides
    .....Bells on harnesses
    .....On December 26 the fun and frolic of the Christmas season starts up again with traditional holiday sleigh rides. Many local municipalities offer free visits with Santa's elves, and sleigh rides.
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 12-24-2021 at 02:24 PM.

21. Likes Boots liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is "Frosty the Snowman" nose made of?
    Hint: It is NOT a carrot.......

Second question:
    Why do most of the snowmen we see in pictures, cartoons, greeting cards, have carrot noses?
    Is this a conspiracy by the vegetable/carrot farmers?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    MINCE PIE
    img053.jpg

Mince Pies (also known as Mutton Pies, and Shredded or Shird Pies were originally made with finely
    minced suet; plus an assortment of finely minced meats; which could include mutton, beef,
    wild rabbit, pork, wild duck and other game meats. Then special dried fruits and spices, cloves,
    and nutmeg were expertly added for flavor.

In Tudor times (between 1485 and 1558, the period of the House of Tudor), mince pies were made
    from exactly 13 ingredients to represent Jesus and his 12 apostles. Also the pies were mostly
    made with mutton to represent the shepherds. And the pies were baked in what we call a bread
    loaf tin, some say the rectangle shape represented the shape of the baby Jesus' manger.

In Victorian times (1837-1901) meat was no longer used, and the large oblong shaped pan was
    changed to a smaller round pie dish.

Nowadays "minced" pies include finely chopped fresh apples, dried fruit, raisins, and spices.
    And these pies are considered a traditional holiday staple.
    Last edited by Boots; 12-11-2021 at 08:40 AM.

24. Thanks Vicki Z thanked this post
    Likes Vicki Z liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    CANDLES AT MIDWINTER

Candle lighting traditions at Midwinter are ancient. Candles welcome back the sun and the energy of the sun.
    St Lucia Day uses exclusively white candles in its festivities.
    Other cultures traditionally use red and green, along with silver and gold.
    The round candles symbolize eternity.
    The Holly, often brought indoors with other greenery that stays green all winter, represents immortality.
    Red and green, along with silver and gold, are traditionally the colors of the season.

img054.jpg
    Created by Vicki Z
    .....Stamped Holly.....Red Berries and Green Leaves
    .....Yule Candles.....Red and Green
    .....Winter Lady.....Red and Gold
    .....Watercolor

img055.jpg
    Created by Mouseit
    .....Splatter Paint Background
    .....Ink Pad Edging
    .....Embroidered Candles Embellishment

img057.jpg
    Created by JenUrebel
    .....Silver Acrylic Paint Back Edge
    .....Next Layer - Crumpled Tissue Paper
    .....Dry Brush with Gold Acrylic Paint on High Ridges
    .....Red/Green Felt Candles
    .....Holly Sticker.....Red Berries and Green Leaves
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 12-12-2021 at 12:18 PM.

26. Likes Boots liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome middleearthtraveller.
    I signed you up.
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 12-12-2021 at 06:00 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you cut down your Fir Tree, or do you wait until December 24th?

29. Thanks Boots thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the Winter Solstice, at the local tree farm, which lights up their entire acreage, and stays open all night with free coffee, cocoa, cookies, and music.
    Last year they had wandering carolers, a Tudor Group in costume singing Medieval songs, along with a Pop Group, Rap Group, and Traditional Group.

FUN!!!!!

31. Thanks Vicki Z thanked this post
    Likes Vicki Z liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds fabulous!