Midwinter Traditions Legends Lore, Due February 18, 2022

I would like to join this swap. Here are my cards. They will go out today or tomorrow.

View attachment 228230 Holly: Holly is sacred to Holle, the Germanic underworld goddess, and symbolizes everlasting life, goodwill, and potent life energy.

View attachment 228231 Mistletoe: Druids believed tha t the green leaves represented fertility of the Mother Goddess and the white berries represented the seed of the Forest God.

View attachment 228232 Poinsettia: Poinsettias were considered by the ancient Aztecs to be symbols of purity. The flowers symbolize good cheer and success.

View attachment 228233 Yule Mushroom: Fly Agaric (Amanita muscaria) is of Siberian-Beringian origin. It was a symbol of fertility for the pagan Winter Solstice. It was seen as a time of rebirth and new beginnings with the passing of the shortest day of the year.

And the rest:

View attachment 228234 Yule Boar: The boar is sacred to Freyr, the Norse god of virility, peace, prosperity and fair weather.

View attachment 228235 Candles: Candles have been used at Yule to welcome back the sun and represent the energy of the gods. Tradition is that you should light every candle in your home and keep them burning all of the darkest day.

View attachment 228236 Yule Bells: Bells were often rung during the Winter Solstice to drive away demons that surfaced during the dark time of the year.

Okay, mine are ready to send in!

FullSizeRender-compressed 5.jpg Yule Celtic Symbol

FullSizeRender(1)-compressed 2.jpg Yule Stag

FullSizeRender(2)-compressed 2.jpg Midwinter Candles

FullSizeRender(3)-compressed 2.jpg Five Elements Yule Star

Phew! I've not thought so long and hard on an ATC project! Thanks for hosting.

Lovely cards.
I just sent you my address via PM.
I will let you know when your ATCs arrive.

My cards are ready.

When googling mid-winter traditions, I ran across Kachinas.

Information copied from this link.
During the period beginning with the Winter Solstice and extending to about mid-July, masked dancers initiated into the various clans of the Hopi Pueblos impersonate Kachinas - spirits of deities, animals, and even deceased members of the Pueblo known for special kindness or prowess. Kachina dolls are given to children.

There are many interpretations of what the Kachinas look like. I mainly used images from alltribes.com as references, with others influencing my choices. The descriptions of what the Kachinas represent are from alltribes.com

Here are my cards depicting 4 of the Kachinas:

BroadfaceKachina.jpg Broadface Kachina - carries yucca whips to enforce community cleaning

ChiefKachina.jpg Chief Kachina - an ancient Kachina representing great power of knowledge

LizardKachina.jpg Lizard Kachina - A fighting Kachina, brings sweethearts together (like Cupid)

MedicineManKachina.jpg Medicine Man Kachina - Prepares herbs and roots to prevent and cure sickness. He is also wise and gives advice

Kachinas are not from my culture, but I thought they were really interesting, so I chose to create these ATCs out of an interest in broadening my knowledge. I checked with Vicki in advance and she said Kachinas would be appropriate for this swap.

I mainly used watercolor, with ink and other pens for sharpening and detail. Drawing and painting these Kachinas was a stretch for me. Any irregularities are due to my fledgling artistic ability, not to a lack of respect for the subject matter.

Vicki - I have your address, and will put these in the mail tomorrow.

Thank you so much for posting your great ATCs and giving such awesome details.
I will let you know when your cards arrive.

AWESOME cards received from somnia.
Thank you for including such FAB details regards the Kachinas.
Thank you also for including a hostie card.

Thanks for hosting Vicki Z. And a special thanks to these artists:

middleearthtraveller - Midwinter Candles
Vicki Z - Advent Wreath
Sandy - Holly
Vicki Z - St. Lucia's Day
somnia - Chief Kachina
Boots - Holly

I couldn't find a post by Sandy to leave a rep. And I need to spread the love around to give Vicki Z a second rep.

Last edited:
My cards arrived! Thank you Vicki Z for hosting, and thank you to the artists whose cards I received. Leaving itrader and rep now.

Everyone has confirmed receipt of their returns, so I will be closing down this thread shortly.
Thanks to one and all for participating.
ATCs were amazing.

Back
Top Bottom