Friend of AFA
Media
Swap Due Date: February 1, 2022
Withdraw by date: no deadline, just communicate please
Number of Items: 3 for 3
Number of participants: unlimited
Media: Any media is welcome – no stickers please
Try Something New 4.0

I have hosted this swap over the new year for the last 3 years and really enjoyed it. I hope some of you who played before will join again and I hope some new players join as well!!
:cool:
This swap is centered on trying a new style, a new technique, or a new product. Be brave! This year I’m going back to the classic - just try anything that is new. If your cards look a little like a background, please add a small focal picture or quote.
:idea:
As adults, we don’t try new things or challenge ourselves as much as we did when we were children. I bet that most of this is due to past failure, worry or insecurities. Kids are always trying different ways to figure things out, making new projects, developing new skills – there are no excuses and minimal limitations in their eyes.
:jiggy:
So let’s start 2022 off with a child-like approach to our art! This swap will be a no-judgement zone. I would love to see things you have tried even it they don't turn out how you thought they would. Last year I had a very rough start with paint pouring.
:embarrassed:
Some possibly new techniques are string pull art, shaving cream marbling, paint pouring, nail polish dip marbling, watercolor or alcohol inks with salt or alcohol, or crayola resist. Some new products I’ve tried recently are the pouring medium that I bought and it took 2 years for me to get brave enough to just get it out and try it! I have not mastered paint pouring but I’ve played with it a few times. I also just tried spray paint marbling technique that was really fun and easy. I still haven’t used a set of gouache paint that I ‘inherited’ a year ago.
Card Specifics
All mediums and techniques are welcome. Send in your best work, something you would be excited to receive if I sent it to you.
All cards need to be standard ATC size: 2.5” X 3.5” and sturdy. No shaped cards for this swap. Please don’t send flimsy cards that are just a sheet of paper. Back your ATC on heavy cardstock or paperboard (such as a cereal or tissue box).
Cards need to be sent in a plastic sleeve for their protection.
Please include at least the Swap name, your Username, your real name and location and the style, technique or product on the back of each card.
Mailing
US participants, please enclose a SASE for your returns with one forever stamp on it. If your cards are bulky please consider adding a loose extra ounce stamp to help your cards get to their forever homes.
International participants: please enclose an envelope with your name and address clearly printed on it and a well concealed US Dollar Bill, an International Forever Stamp or I have Venmo.
When your cards are ready to mail, send me a PM for my address. I moved in 2020 so please make sure you have the new address. Please mail your cards early so that they will arrive by the deadline.
When you receive your returns, please leave “you rock” points for the artists whose cards you received, and if you feel that I’ve done a good job as a host, please leave an iTrader for me (haagmm).
:yes:
So, who wants to try something new?
1. rhodora55 - cards rec'd
2. jo.on.the.go - cards rec'd
3. Carol - cards rec'd
4. LuAnnP -cards rec'd
6. fundygirl - cards rec'd
7. wildholly - cards rec'd
8. luckycat479 - cards rec'd
9. Allegrae - cards rec'd
10. Donnacr - cards rec'd
11. Ancient Planter - cards rec'd
12. Lori H - cards rec'd
15. Somnia - cards rec'd
16. Thouartdelyrius - cards rec'd
17. Sarat - cards rec'd
18. Mapletree - cards rec'd

19. Leydab - cards rec'd
20. Molly -cards rec'd
21. autumnleavz_artist - cards rec’d
22. Chimerix - cards rec'd

Lurking... Javazarf & JenUrebel

Last edited:
Sign me up please. I just placed an order with Dick Blick for some mica watercolor paint (silver, gold, bronze) which I’ve heard looks great on black paper. I can hardly wait to try it out.

Last edited:
I am signing up because I am the happy owner of Simon Hurley Stamping Foam. Many years ago there used to be a different stamping foam on the market and I tried and liked it but I have watched enough youtube videos to know this foam is different in a good way. My ATC's for this swap will be the first thing I create with the Simon Hurley stamping foam! Thank you for creating this swap!

Fundygirl - please tell me what kind of paper you will be using with your inks. I used watercolor paper and I was not successful.

I've been told that Yupo paper is really good when working with alcohol inks. It's a smoother, glossy type paper. We'll see if I can make something happen with it. . .

Lurking. There are a couple of new things I want to try over the holiday break: using an air brush with alcohol inks, and acrylic pours.

I've used glossy photo paper with alcohol ink before and it worked. I haven't tried yupo paper so I can't compare.

Once I have something that I can make into swappable ATCs I'll sign up : )

Lurking..........
I was wondering if something you haven't used in a long time would be ok.
If I can find my beeswax, I have been wanting to try to do beeswax ATCs again.

Whew guys - I am sorry for dropping off the face of the afa earth. My oldest graduated from college last week so we were out of town for that and then my youngest turned 21 this weekend and work is :twitcy:

Javazarf - yes, I think that getting out something you haven't used in a long time and giving it a try would be fine!

I'll get everyone added to the players list! I am so excited to see what everyone comes up with. I will be attempting a couple of new techniques this time so hopefully you'll all get some surprises in your return envelopes!

Lurking. There are a couple of new things I want to try over the holiday break: using an air brush with alcohol inks, and acrylic pours.

I've used glossy photo paper with alcohol ink before and it worked. I haven't tried yupo paper so I can't compare.

Once I have something that I can make into swappable ATCs I'll sign up : )

somnia- this is absolutely a no judgement swap - I'd love to see your alcohol ink experiments even if you don't think they're swap-able. I've always wanted an air brush but can't bring myself to buy one.

I would love to join. I have a new oblique pen from The Postman's knock and have been intimidated to use it.
This will give me the push I need.

wildholly - YES! push through that intimidation like a kid who isn't afraid to experiment!! I don't even know what an oblique pen is but I'll be looking it up. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

I am signing up because I am the happy owner of Simon Hurley Stamping Foam. Many years ago there used to be a different stamping foam on the market and I tried and liked it but I have watched enough youtube videos to know this foam is different in a good way. My ATC's for this swap will be the first thing I create with the Simon Hurley stamping foam! Thank you for creating this swap!

artistwannabe - Simon Hurley Stamping Foam is another product that I've never heard of. I'll be looking it up also! Another reason I love this swap is I hear about and see new products too. I can't wait to learn what stamping foam is!

Back
Top Bottom