How do you use Distress Oxide Inks? : Due April 22

I don't set mine with heat. Sometimes if I'm patient, I wait until the next day to finish. But usually I'm not patient.

Adding you aginghippychic

Just thought that I would post a link to a Jennifer McGuire video where she explores the differences between Distress Oxide inks and any others (eg normal Distress Inks). This was made when Oxides were just coming on the market so not all the colours are used but many good ideas to start with.

Last edited:
CynthiaSillitoe - if you want to do multiple layers with different colours and don't want them to turn to a muddy brown you will need to heat set between layers (or let to dry naturally). Each new layer will cover the colours below then - Oxide inks are opaque rather than translucent like the Distress Inks.
Since I discovered blending brushes I use them for everything - they make blending super easy. Distress Oxides blend easier and smoother than Distress Inks anyway because of their makeup.

Here are some of the pieces leftover from making backgrounds for the Celestial swap - all use 'Blueprint sketch', 'Seedless preserves' and 'Twisted citron' on watercolour paper.
The first had the 3 colours brushed over the surface, dried then brushed over with 'Black soot' and splattered with white paint.
with the 2nd (the brightest colours) I smooshed the 3 colours on my messy mat, spritzed them with water then laid the piece down on the colours, dried and repeated till the surface was covered, then 'Black soot' and white paint.
with the 3rd (the most muddy) I moved the piece through the leftover colours on my messy mat till surface was covered, then 'Black soot' and white paint.
View attachment 229952View attachment 229953View attachment 229954

Donnacr, thanks for sharing. I have a notebook in which I keep a list of swaps that I am in as well as notes for different techniques. I found I have notes from that video. But I haven't tried everything she explained.

Its a long video but has a lot of things to try.

I watched Donna's video twice. this morning, I found Tori Bissell and 30 ways to use distress oxide inks. She has a video which I have not yet watched. AND she has a list of all her techniques, which I have copied.

So far my best water spray bottle is the one that used to have lens cleaning liquid in it.

Here are my cards. I used several different techniques.
distress oxide swap.jpg
Enjoy Today = distress oxide blended and stenciled background
Beautiful Memories = distress oxide direct to paper background
Elephant = distress oxide direct to paper and stenciled background
Focus on the Good = distress oxide smooshing stencil and blended background

Cynthia, I think you need to break down and order a heat gun. You can always use it for heat embossing. that is where I found mine. a lot of the techniques suggest applying ink and then spritzing with water and repeating.

I am going through Tori Bissell's list of techniques. First plan was to grocery shop. But instead we are waiting for a wine shipment. Another rainy day is perfect for art.

I am working on distress oxide backgrounds. I have tried a variety of papers. Seem like every one curls. What kinds of papers do the rest of you use?

I think the least curl has been on water color paper.

Here are my cards. I used several different techniques.
View attachment 230075
Enjoy Today = distress oxide blended and stenciled background
Beautiful Memories = distress oxide direct to paper background
Elephant = distress oxide direct to paper and stenciled background
Focus on the Good = distress oxide smooshing stencil and blended background

Those are gorgeous!! great job!

I've created at least 40 cards over the weekend. I don't want to stop!!!! I can't believe I have neglected my oxides for so long! Thanks for doing this swap!

I am playing with several pieces of 4 " squares. they all have several layers of oxide inks. I put more colors and more water on. Heat it and then add more. When I am ready to make actual ATCS, I can include the areas I like best.

Back
Top Bottom