Aifrati

ATC Novice
Friend of AFA
Media
Albums
Swap Due Date: July 8th, 2022
Signup/Withdraw Date: Anytime, but please communicate
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3
Number of Participants: We are full (12)
Medium: Hand painted/hand drawn; mixed media elements can be added as long as the drawing is the main focus.

I enjoy storytelling through art and photographs and have been enjoying urban sketching during holiday trips. I also enjoy sketching things, life, around the house and garden. I particularly like seeing parts of the day-to-day life of others through art and added commentary. For this swap, share with us parts of your world by sketching/drawing snippets of your day.

Swap guidelines:
Sketch snippets of your day. The cards should include some context so that they convey a story on a single card. Examples of things to sketch are, what you had for breakfast, the view from your bed, what you saw while taking a walk in the park, that place you met at with friends, how your pet sleeps, the art supplies currently on your table, that spider living in the corner, the bread you baked, your garden, your family enjoying a day at the beach, an old building in your town, your neighborhood store,…etc. The list is limitless. You may add commentary to enhance the story telling power, either on the card, as part of the title or otherwise on the back of the card, or as a separate ATC sized note.

Optional challenge: I encourage you to draw from life/on-location. It brings more dimensions to the memories of that moment. I can often feel what I felt that day/moment of the sketch while looking at it later. I can’t experience as much with only a photograph as the memory keeper. So, sketch from life vs a photo for one or all of your cards, in the spirit of urban sketching (USK; drawing on location). A photo may still be used as reference for coloring at a later time if you only have time to do the sketch on location.

Have fun, it's only a sketch. It doesn't have to be "perfect" or super realistic. It just needs to convey a story about your day.

These are some examples from my sketchbooks:

36DD18D0-4AD0-4B21-8CB2-F99BD9B3B022.jpg 98CB60B9-4FA5-4198-A3BB-0187E906D86C.jpg CEB08E60-B03B-4F44-9326-D042585BB3B1.jpg
2A683B1A-BDCB-4250-A8B1-53E5E086AB1F.jpg E467D8F8-1B96-41F6-8C42-1E243A2A881D.jpg

Card guidelines:
~~ This is a 3 for 3 ATC card trade.
~~ An additional host card in the swap theme is appreciated and will be treasured, but is not required!
~~ Cards need to measure 2.5" x 3.5" and must have a sturdy base to make it a “card”. (If you are new to ATC’s and swaps, please check the FAQ section of this website for more guidance.) Keep them as flat as possible. If adding mixed media, no bulky embellishments.
~~ Protect your card in individual vinyl sleeves.
~~ Include your username, real name, where you live and name of the swap on the back of the card.
~~ Please share your finished cards in this thread and in the gallery and comment on those you like. We all love to get inspired by your lovely creations.

Mailing:
~~ PM me for my address when your cards are ready to send. Give yourself enough time for them to arrive, at least a week and a half or two for those in the US. At least two weeks or I would suggest 3 weeks or more if outside the US. Mail has been really slow lately.
~~ US Players: Send a large label with your name and address clearly printed on it. Include as much loose postage as it took to mail the cards to me. Usually one "Forever" stamp is enough for three cards but check at your post office if you are unsure. I will provide envelopes. Please, *do not send envelopes*
~~ International Players: Send a large label with your name and address clearly printed on it. I will provide postage and envelopes. Please, *do not send envelopes*

Visit HOW TO: Pack & Mail your Cards for Swaps (atcsforall.com) for more guidance.

Don’t forget I-Traders for your host (me) if you are pleased with how I handled the swap, and You-Rocks for the artists whose ATCs you received!!! To make it easier to give 'you rocks' I've added a link to the player's first post which you can use to add the You Rock points!
Players Received

0. Aifrati
1. jo.on.the.go You Rock!
2. LuAnnP You Rock!
3. piggles You Rock!
4. Periwinkle You Rock!
5. BexMadeMe You Rock!
6. Asher You Rock!
7. wildholly You Rock!
8. Ancient Planter You Rock!
9. Seascape131 You Rock!
10. Gaia You Rock!
11. ..withdrew…
12. AmiSi You Rock!

Last edited:
I want to join before this gets filled. Aifrati, I was SO impressed with the urban sketching that you did. And you have inspired me to start a nature sketchbook. Maybe this is the time for me to walk around the neighborhood and draw my local "great outdoors".

Sign me up!

I have attempted to do some urban sketching, it is nice to do as a dairy or journal when traveling. I have to admit though, I do lots in the hotel room from pictures cause I don’t like people watching me in public.

Welcome piggles! :jiggy:I hear you. I was doing that as well exclusively at the beginning. Now I try to incorporate some on location drawing when I can. But that isn’t that easy, specially when you are with family who wants do do other activities other than sitting or waiting you to sit in one place for a significant period of time. I haven’t tried ATC size yet, so that might be quicker. About feeling self-conscious when drawing in public, it froze me for a long time. After a couple people approaching and asking about what I was doing, I think I’m over it…

One evening years ago while on a tour, I was sitting in the hotel lobby sketching ATCs. Some people from my group came over to check out what I was doing, and one person asked if she could buy the card. She asked how much I charged, and off the top of my head, I said $10. Then the others joined in. In 15 minutes I had made $60!

Lol! Jo, what a neat story! I bet that was the last thing you were thinking while sketching your ATC's. It must have felt good to have other (likely) non-artists appreciate your art as to offering to buy it right there.

Unrelated, on my recent trip to Puerto Rico, I had members of my family following me around and watching as I was sketching around the garden. My aunt and my mom are now painting with watercolor and send me photos of their creations every now and then. :)

Please add me to the list! Have been wanting to try this kind of art, and this sounds like a great swap!

Lurkers welcome! Hope you can join us eventually, BArox818. I had the idea of the swap for some time now but was unsure if it would gather enough interest. We are doing good so far and it was your comment on one of my urban sketches which helped giving me the final push I needed ;) . Thank you! I think this will be tons of fun!

Love this idea. I'm off work this week and went urban sketching today. Also going out tomorrow and Saturday, so fun sketching from life in the real world, I can easily pop some ATCs in with my sketchbook.
Sign me up please :) I like the idea of trading these with some of you overseas folk.
btw love your story jo.on.the.go that's awesome! I could do with some extra £ haha

Yay, BexMadeMe! Welcome to the group! Oh I wish I could take this whole weekend for urban sketching, like you!!! Very envious here!

I love we are getting participation from a nice group of international folks. Makes it a lot more fun to share these with people all around the world!

So, which art supplies do you take with you while traveling (or while urban sketching)? I often find myself fascinated by people's ingenuity and I'm known for binging on YouTube videos titled ("What's in my -plain air-urban sketching-travel- bag?" I am also obsessed with mini-watercolor palettes. I love the one below which I bought on Etsy, but I have been making my own also. I use this one with a tiny water brush, which I have learned to love in the past two months after a mostly hateful relationship. This set-up I tested while sketching at the museums in Washington, DC and I love it is light and easy to store and get out the bag. I also use a mechanical pencil, either a Pigma fine liner or a fountain pen with waterproof ink, and a couple of color pencils for details and texture.

1_858CBCBD-BE35-40A0-A2C7-6EAD30BA938C.jpeg

This is most likely the setup I'll use if sketching outdoors for this swap. I can easily fit two ATC's on the clipboard (attached with carpenter's blue tape on the back of the card) along with the palette and the shop towel I use to clean my brush. The clipboard is a translucent 6X9 inches one I bought for a dollar or two (before inflation) in a department store.

I would love to join your very first swap. YAY!
I need that kick in the butt to get myself out and about to sketch. I plan to sit and do some life by my creek and
then visit my favorite place to walk on Sundays.
I need this push, so thank you for hosting this fine idea of a swap.
Dial me in!

Back
Top Bottom