Sketch Your Day/USK Swap ... due July 8th, 2022

My favourite tool for travel and USK is called, suitably, “The Portable Painter”.

It’s kind of hard to tell in the pictures, but the ends of the case separate into two pieces, which slide onto the pallet at a 90 degree angle, forming little “legs”. You can then fit the pallet over your leg, and it stays put. Each “leg” can be filled with water, so you have two very handy water containers.

I’ve always just sketched in a sketchbook, so I don’t need any other hard surface. Not sure what I’m going to use for the ATCs though.

The second picture is the pallet on my leg (it’s hard to tell)

A505EBA0-FCB2-4023-B174-4B7C7C9EF36E.jpg57BF1F71-27F4-4FE1-A7E9-2C6E822CA2FB.jpg848FD839-C770-4017-ADDB-8EF68398E926.jpg

My favourite tool for travel and USK is called, suitably, “The Portable Painter”.

It’s kind of hard to tell in the pictures, but the ends of the case separate into two pieces, which slide onto the pallet at a 90 degree angle, forming little “legs”. You can then fit the pallet over your leg, and it stays put. Each “leg” can be filled with water, so you have two very handy water containers.

I love the idea of the portable painter and actually own it but haven’t filled it out yet. I have to do that and use it!. I also have the mini one, again unfilled. Yes, I hoard art supplies and tools that sit unused for long periods of time. Need to do something about that…:eek:

Thanks for sharing! About hard surfaces, i think a clipboard works, but so does a light piece of foam board or singnage board (like corrugated cardboard material but plastic). Or for that matter, cardboard covered in tape if using watercolors.

Last edited:
I totally hoard art supplies and tools too, I think that’s part of being an artist!

And I never even thought of cardboard :eek:

That's a great setup Aifrati! I like the cloth towel (instead of paper towels), and I'm curious how you managed to clip down your palette. It must be very thin. The clipboard is also very discreet. (Taking notes, since doing art in public is new for me.)

I'm on board. A beautiful idea and I'm already very curious to see the little scenes from your daily lives. Please sign me up, Aifrati. :-)

Yay! Welcome Gaia! :jiggy:

Only two spots left and great company so far. We have nice international representation from Canada, Spain, England and Germany, and from almost every corner of the US… I love it!

That's a great setup Aifrati! I like the cloth towel (instead of paper towels), and I'm curious how you managed to clip down your palette. It must be very thin. The clipboard is also very discreet. (Taking notes, since doing art in public is new for me.)

The shop towel here happens to be paper, but I typically use microfiber cloth and bath cloth as my brush cleaning towel. Lately, I've been using mostly a cleaning sponge as my "towel". It works very well for me. The shop towel is made for mechanics cleaning big messes. I learned about them from my husband, who enjoys working on cars. I can reuse one of those for months.

And, yes, the palette is quite thin, about a cm when closed, so when opened is about 1/2 cm that needs to be clipped. Below are some of my palettes for comparison:

EFFF94A5-236C-4B8B-8F42-1AFAD3F4C280.jpg C4324342-3849-49C1-B8C7-141BD2B24ADC.jpg

Left to right... a regular 12 half pan (although I have more pans in it) metal tin from Amazon. This I usually attach to a clipboard with magnets (glue strong magnets to a bulldog clip and attach to the clipboard, open palette and place on magnets). Next is a mini-Altoids tin palette. The wells I got on a 100 pk (about 10 cents each) and attached them to a mica backing with a double-sided tape I use for card making. The two sections/floors of paint wells go on top of each other when closed. Third is the palette I bought on Etsy (ArtstoEmbers). I love it. Last is another one I made with the same wells as the mini-Altoids tin. This time I attached them to cardboard. The palette is a business card holder. I attached this one and the mini-Altoids tin to the clipboard with poster-putty/blue-tack dots.

Last edited:
I Don't do so well with this

So, which art supplies do you take with you while traveling (or while urban sketching)?

Last November I packed a couple of Legion 2.5" x 3.5" tablets and about a dozen Prismacolor pencils, in Christmas colors, because I went on a trip and had about ten Christmas ATCs promised. Twenty-some hours on an airplane and I never drew a card....:rolleyes:

I pack those little tablets often when I travel, but I haven't done very well with them. Maybe if I am committed to a swap I will do better?

My husband and I are going to travel across Kansas next week.

Have pencils. Will [be] Travel [ling]

Now I am really showing how old I am. Anyone else remember a TV slogan "Have Gun. Will Travel?" (Just listened to the "Ballad of Palladin" on YouTube...)

Wish I could join, this is a great theme. I discovered urban sketching earlier this year and it is wonderful. If I don’t join have fun everyone!

35AD954C-5C3B-4584-A3E1-6A707EB626A0.jpg

My first one. Since I didn’t want my breakfast to get cold, I did a quick sketch and took a picture for coloring later. Since I took the day off work today to deal with some personal matters, I had a chance to color it just a few minutes ago and wanted to share right away…

Coffee, egg, toast and ham, with kale from my garden… the last of it for now. the plant has now flowered and there aren’t many leaves left….

LuAnnP what are Legion tablets? Could this possibly be an art supply I haven’t heard about ? :eek:

OH, "Legion" is just the brand name of a paper company.

They make little tablets of 2.5 x 3.75 paper that I use all the time!

I have lost count of how many times I've bought the watercolor black. It is amazing with Primascolor pencil or acrylic gouache or Posca pens or some gel pens. I just checked my Gallery and counted 62 cards that have this fabulous black paper! (sometimes I just use it as a frame. It makes a classy frame!)

I buy mine at Jerrys Artarama (they USED to have free shipping on $50+ but I think its up to $75 now so I haven't ordered in a while....) They also have them at Blicks and some art stores. I think the little pads were originally meant to be samples, but along came ATC....

I love these little tablets because I don't have to so any cutting except trim off the extra quarter inch.
(Precision is NOT my strong suit) I also love to keep the tiny tablets in my purse.

https://www.jerrysartarama.com/brands/legion-paper/legion-stonehenge-black-aqua-watercolor-paper

Clever!

View attachment 231643

My first one. Since I didn’t want my breakfast to get cold, I did a quick sketch and took a picture for coloring later. Since I took the day off work today to deal with some personal matters, I had a chance to color it just a few minutes ago and wanted to share right away…

Coffee, egg, toast and ham, with kale from my garden… the last of it for now. the plant has now flowered and there aren’t many leaves left….

SO cute! Lots of fun details (Love the mug!)

I live in a rural area, can I sketch rural/real scenes that I see for this swap? I also live near several small towns, we walk in different parks almost everyday and drive by farms and watch animals wildlife and lake birds, for instance, watching a pair of sandhill cranes with 2 babies, geese with babies right now, mostly wanted to know if things like this and if like barns and farm houses, snippets of my real daily life, if rural scenes are okay?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom