JUNE Weird Holidays -- Due June 30, 2022

Welcome, plumhill2001! Sometimes the upload is a problem if the file is too large.

I'm not sure what the hangup is. I have the camera settings the same every time, but sometimes my computer or memory card adapter decides to get stubborn. Should be the same size I always post. Not a biggie. It works MOST of the time, lol.

leydab, your wonderfully weird cards have arrived! Thanks for the host card!

Please pencil me in.
JK, I’m totally ready to commit, please add me to your list.

64005417-80E0-4CBF-BC30-FE5232091788.jpg

You know you had me at pencil, right?

There were so many good holidays to choose from this month.
My cards are done and they will be in the mail today or tomorrow.
IMG_5167x.jpgIMG_5166x.jpgIMG_5168x.jpgIMG_5169x.jpg
Looking forward to July's Weird Holidays!

There have been questions. Here are some answers…

Pencil Day is observed on the first Saturday in June. It is meant to be celebrated across the whole world.

I first heard of (World) Drawing Day aka Pencil Day (or as I prefer to think of it , Pencil Day aka Drawing Day) in Allegrae’s June Weird Holiday Swap.

That sent me here-

https://www.checkiday.com/4a8347d050...bf/drawing-day

My research told me it was it was founded by Mick Gow in 2008.

“His latest venture, Drawing Day, calls on artists across the world to all join forces and draw on one day for the sake of art.”
He published a book about it in 2011.

I found this (among other things)-

Drawing Day, also known as Pencil Day

Pencils are one of the most important tools for artists and how they play a big role in the creative process. Pencils can be used for everything from sketching out rough ideas to shading and adding final details to a drawing. Today is Drawing Day, also known as Pencil Day, so take some time to get out your pencils and draw.

History of Drawing Day

Drawing Day started as a way to encourage people to express their creativity through the art of the pencil. It’s believed that the first Drawing Day was held in 2009, although the exact date is unknown. Since then, it’s become an annual event, with people all over the world taking part.

Why pencils?

Pencils are one of the most essential tools for artists, whether they’re used for sketching out rough ideas or adding final details to a drawing. Pencils are such an important tool for artists because they’re so versatile. You can use them to create both light and dark lines, and they’re easy to control. This makes them perfect for sketching out ideas, as well as adding final details to a drawing.

Different types of pencils can produce different effects. For example, softer pencils will give you darker lines, while harder pencils will produce lighter lines. You can also experiment with different types of paper to see how that affects your drawings. For example, using thicker paper will help prevent your pencil lines from smudging.

How to Celebrate Drawing Day

Take some time to experiment with different types of pencils and see how they can help you create amazing artwork.

The basics of drawing with a pencil are pretty simple – all you need is a piece of paper and a pencil! But there are so many different types of pencils available, each with their own unique properties that can affect the way your drawings look. For example, using a softer pencil will give you darker lines, while a harder pencil will produce lighter lines. You can also experiment with different types of paper to see how that affects your drawings. For example, using thicker paper will help prevent your pencil lines from smudging.

No matter what type of pencils or paper you use, the most important thing is to have fun and experiment! So get out your pencils and start drawing today!

National (USA) Pencil Day is observed on March 30-

“National Pencil Day commemorates the day pencil maker Hymen Lipman received a patent for the 'modern pencil,' a wood pencil with an eraser attached. The day itself has been observed since the 1970s”

There is also a day for #2 pencils, specifically.

It just means that I get to celebrate ‘Pencil Day’ multiple time each year. I’m ok with that!

Plumhill2001, your wonderfully weird cards have arrived! Thanks for the host card!

Love the pencil dude, jezebelle!

W.I.P.
This will definitely get some fine tuning tomorrow. But I want to post while it is still Pencil Day.
It’s a twofer…

View attachment 232353

What?! :yes:

Thanx to everyone who helped make this a fun holiday to celebrate!

I have a question - are we doing three cards on the same holiday, or can they be different holidays?

I thought it was three for the same, but now I think they can be different holidays. Just wanted to check. I need to get working on them!

They can all be different. I was thinking you could also make them all the same, but it doesn't specifically say that in the rules. So I'll be quiet and wait for the expert to answer. :laugh:

I didn’t set the parameters for this swap but this is a quote from the opening post…

“ Choose any 3 holidays or commemorative weeks/months, and create 3 different ATCs that celebrate the weirdness. ”

I was so danged excited when I heard about pencil day, I asked if I could do all three for the same holiday if each card was different. Allegrae said that I could. (Thank you again) I think everyone else is doing 3 different?

And I’m really hoping some one (or several some ones) else did pencil day too!

Back
Top Bottom