Happy Accidents Swap - Due Date: Sept 9th, 2022

Everlorne

too many ideas, not enough time
Media
Albums
Swap Due Date: Sept 9, 2022
Signup/Withdraw Date: Aug 26, 2022 (please communicate)
Number of Cards: 3 for 3
Number of Participants: 12 max – this is my first swap.
Medium: Open Media (except digital and photography)

Welcome to my first swap – Happy Accidents

“We don't make mistakes. We just have happy accidents.”

-Bob Ross

This quote has always stuck with me, especially when I get frustrated when something is not going my way. With that in mind, I propose the following swap.

If you are anything like me, you probably have a stack of cards that have been abandoned half finished for some reason. Maybe you made a mistake or it wasn't working out as expected, but for some reason, you can't bring yourself to just throw it away. So let's blow the dust off those cards and give them a second life. Turn your mistake into a happy accident.

Here's one of mine:

The mistake – I wanted this card to be monochrome in purple but misjudged the shade of blue when I went to add the mountains. :(

053 ATC - Before.jpg

The happy accident – committed to the blue! Instead of trying to take it away, I added more and this is what happened :)

053 ATC - After.jpg

For your cards:
- 2.5” x 3.5” ATCs in individual plastic sleeves
- Any medium (except digital or photography)
- Cards must be sturdy and fit in the plastic sleeve
- I do random exchanges
- I am limited to 3 for 3 as this is my first time hosting
- A host card is not required but would be loved and adored
- Please include your real name, user name and swap name on the back of your card

For mailing:
- I live in Canada so please keep this in mind when sending your cards. The cards must arrive by Sept 9th. The recommended mail-by date for US players is August 26.
I will provide envelopes.
- Send a large, legible address label
- For postage, include one of the following: a permanent Canada stamp or USD $1. If you are outside Canada/US, I will cover return postage.
- PM me for my address when you are ready to mail

When you receive your returns, leave I-Trader for me and “You Rock”s for the artists whose cards you have received.

Please share your cards in the thread so we can see the transformation from “mistake” to “happy accident”.

Who wants to play?

Participants:
0. Everlorne
1. dithespy - Received
2. Somnia - w/d
3. leydab - Received
4. CastleQueen5 - Received
5. BlancoLoco - Received
6. Bramble - Received
7. Asher - Received
8. mrubyjean - Received
9. miss - Received

Last edited:
I love this idea! I have many cards that went off track. This is a great opportunity to let them lead me to an unplanned happy result. Please sign me up.

My cards are done
View attachment 233235 I had the image and the background but didn't know how to finish it off. I added words and used glossy accents to highlight, doodles and frame. I trimmed corners.
View attachment 233236 I had the textured background for ages without knowing what to do with it. I also had balloons image hanging about in my odds and ends box. I put them together and added Tim Holtz words.

View attachment 233237 I had the background made from a Gelli printing session and Steampunk paper doll looking for a background..
View attachment 233238 The background is a watercolour painting I started and never finished. I cut the page into ATC sized cards. The rabbit is a spare stamping that needed painting and a background..

My cards are done
View attachment 233235 I had the image and the background but didn't know how to finish it off. I added words and used glossy accents to highlight, doodles and frame. I trimmed corners.
View attachment 233236 I had the textured background for ages without knowing what to do with it. I also had balloons image hanging about in my odds and ends box. I put them together and added Tim Holtz words.

These are beautiful!

I want to join. I have some Canadian stamps. I will post a photo later so you can help me make sense of them. When I hosted I accepted Canada postage. (and other countries). Now I need to use them.

I like your theme. BTW a lot of my cards in the art a thon are happy accidents. See this one? I was trying to earn the credit for the task HEARTS and STARS. I could not make the hearts work on the card. I covered them with the round bubble accent. AND this is too chunky to mail for this swap. Just an example.

1_1966_Star_Trek_TV_.jpg

I have a set of cards I made for a swap, then realized I hadn't read the instructions carefully enough and they didn't meet the criteria. Does that count as a mistake? If so, sign me up.

Back
Top Bottom