sarat

Still dreaming...
Friend of AFA
Media
Albums
Due September 23,2022
Number of cards: 3 for 3
Number of participants: 25 maximum

I just returned from a trip to the Southwest and was inspired by the Native American art I saw. There is so much richness and variety. If you are looking for inspiration check out: Jaune Quick-to-See Smith, Brad Kahlhamer, Wendy Red Star, George Morrison, Yvonne Remick.

Special thanks to jo.on.the.go wo suggested that I do this inspired swap. She was inspired by George Morrison's postage stamps.

Make three different inspired cards. The style and medium can be the same.

Medium: Hand drawn or painted, sewing, needlepoint, origami, hand-made stamp, or collage. No stickers, digital or photography.. Check with me if in doubt about your medium. Make something that would be hard for you to give up.
Use your artistic skills and feel free to use your imagination and unique style. All cards must be original ie no prints or copies.

Most of all---Have fun!!!

Requirements:
*All cards should be standard 3.5” X 2.5” and at least one layer of card stock.
*Cards should be flat enough to fit in plastic sleeves.
*Send cards in plastic sleeves.
*Withdraw early if you can’t do the swap, late cards may be returned if they can’t be swapped out.
Mailing and postage:
*PM me for my address when you are ready to send cards.
* Make sure your user name, location and swap name appear on the back of your ATC’s.
*Include your username on your SASE.
* International participants: I will pay postage for first 10 players. Please include a SASE.
*US participants: Include a stamped self-addressed envelope or stamps
Returns: When you receive your returns, please leave itrader for me and rep points for players.
An extra card for the host is always appreciated but not required.
Anyone want to play?

1. jo.on.the.go: USA: Received
2. Elliejaybird: USA:Received
3. Origami Grace: USA: Received
4. Asher: USA: received
5. Seascape131: USA:Received
6. Redplantlady: UK:received
7. BArox818: USA:Received
8. Butterbean: USA:Received
9. JenUrebel: USA:Received
10.Leydab: USA: Received
11.Jezebelle: USA:Received

Last edited:
I don’t ordinarily sign up for a swap until I have my cards done, but I’m pushing myself to join this swap. I really admire the abstract art of George Morrison and I want to challenge myself to use his art as inspiration. So you will probably see abstract art from me and not something that you usually think of as Native American art (ie, no kachina dolls, totem poles, or bead and feather work).

I don’t ordinarily sign up for a swap until I have my cards done, but I’m pushing myself to join this swap. I really admire the abstract art of George Morrison and I want to challenge myself to use his art as inspiration. So you will probably see abstract art from me and not something that you usually think of as Native American art (ie, no kachina dolls, totem poles, or bead and feather work).

Well, you inspired me to do this swap so big welcome!

My favorite artist is Helen Hardin, a Native American, but I'm lurking for a while to see if I can do her justice.

Yeah, I spent the morning looking at art and I have to sign up for this. I did a lot of indigenous inspired fiber arts a decade ago and it will be fun to revisit and try my hand at drawing.

Still lurking, I don’t want to sign up until I complete my cards, in case I’m not able to finish. But I’m definitely inspired and would love to share my work. My concept is a series of portraits of George Morrison, reflecting his work throughout the years.

These are my base portraits of GM circa 1979 and circa 1950s. Im working on younger and older portraits as well.

View attachment 233201

And also my WIP (almost finished, I think) his portrait based on a style he was using in the 50s and 60s.

View attachment 233202

Last edited:
I haven’t really seen any portraits by GM. Excepting some early figural nudes. That was my idea. To honor him, as well as his work. GM inspired the abstract styles in which I intend to do portraits of him over the years. I created the base portraits by viewing photos of GM, to guide my work.

Last edited:
I may use the base portraits as card backs. Or I also have another idea. I’ll see how it goes and how much time I have to offer this project. I love his work. I’m especially drawn to his wood collage landscapes from the 60s and 70s.

Still lurking, I don’t want to sign up until I complete my cards, in case I’m not able to finish. But I’m definitely inspired and would love to share my work. My concept is a series of portraits of George Morrison, reflecting his work throughout the years.

These are my base portraits of GM circa 1979 and circa 1950s. Im working on younger and older portraits as well.

View attachment 233201

And also my WIP (almost finished, I think) his portrait based on a style he was using in the 50s and 60s.

View attachment 233202

Thanks for posting these. Love the portrait.

Back
Top Bottom