ATC Novice
Friend of AFA
Media
Albums
Swap Due Date: November 5th, 2022
Signup/Withdraw Date: Anytime, but please communicate
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3
Number of Participants: 30
Medium: Hand painted/hand drawn; mixed media elements can be added. *See note in description.

In this swap, choose a subject and a composition (could be from a reference, direct observation, or imagination) and interpret it/render it in three different ways. You may choose three different mediums (ex. ink, colored pencils, watercolor, etc.), three different artistic styles (ex. impressionistic, realistic, whimsical, cubist, expressionistic, etc.), three different color palettes, three different backgrounds or foregrounds, or any combination of these. The idea is that the main subject and its composition in the card is the same, but the cards are not exact copies and that there is enough difference between them to call them different interpretations.

These are some examples with the medium as the main variation from piggles:

piggles
1_6144339F-F722-437A-9A80-182137CE27F2.jpeg
1_47856424-3C19-4774-9615-A58FDF047AF1.jpeg

(Other examples by jezebelle and LuAnnp of a variation by artistic style can be found a few post down this thread)

* Note about adding mixed media:
~ You can include mixed media elements in your cards as long as the main subject is HD/HP.
~ One of your cards can be in full mixed media, with or without drawn elements, as long as you don’t use a photo/sticker/found image as the main subject (e.g. If the subject is a vase, don’t use a picture/sticker/image of a vase to portray it, but you could use paper strips or cutouts of other images to make the vase in your composition).

Card guidelines:
~~ This is a 3 for 3 card trade.
~~ Cards need to measure 2.5" x 3.5" and must have a sturdy base to make it a “card”. (If you are new to ATC’s and swaps, please check the FAQ section of this website for more guidance.) Keep them as flat as possible. No bulky embellishments.
~~ Protect your card in individual vinyl sleeves.
~~ Add a title or description to the back of your card that points out the card variation: ex. “Vase in watercolor” or “Impressionistic Vase”
~~ Include your username, real name, where you live and name of the swap on the back of the card.
~~ Please share your finished cards in this thread and in the gallery and tell us more about them and how you got to them. We all love to get inspired by your lovely creations and process. Also comment on those you like. We can all use some motivation.
~~ A hostess card is not required, but will be appreciated and treasured if you choose to include one. Please don’t let the hostess card be a factor in your decision to play or not play.

Mailing:
~~ PM me for my address when your cards are ready to send. Give yourself enough time for them to arrive, at least a week or two for those in the US. At least two weeks or more if outside the US. Cards which do not arrive by the deadline will have to be returned.
~~ US Players: Send a large label with your name and address clearly printed on it. Include as much loose postage as it took you to mail the cards to me. Usually one "Forever" stamp is sufficient for three cards. Check at your post office if you are uncertain. I will provide envelopes. Please, *do not send envelopes*
~~ International Players: Send a large label with your name and address clearly printed on it. I will provide postage and envelopes. Please, *do not send envelopes*

Visit HOW TO: Pack & Mail your Cards for Swaps (atcsforall.com) for more guidance.

Don’t forget to give You-Rocks to the artists whose ATCs you received and an i-Trader for me if you are pleased with how I handled the swap.

Who wants to play?

Players

1. -piggles—You Rock!
2. -LuAnnP—You Rock!
3. -vidas—You Rock!
4. -Ancient Planter—You Rock!
5. -leydab—You Rock!
6. -Elliejaybird—You Rock!
7. -CiCiCreates— You Rock!
8. -lazyshadows—You Rock!
9. -jo.on.the.go—You Rock!
10. -wildholly—You Rock!
11. Charrmander
12. -Terri F—You Rock!
13. -Flashviv—You Rock!
14. -The Walnut Tree—You Rock!
15. -Sarat—You Rock!
16. -jtpaints— You Rock!

Last edited:
It occurs to me, that not too long ago, I did a sort of experimental version of this for one of NancyL’s color swaps.
Here they are…

View attachment 234794

Sarah - primarily acrylic paint and pigment liner, with a wee bit of prismacolor pencil in the background

View attachment 234795

Sarah II - primarily prismacolor pencils with some pigment liner

Sarah III was a cubist take on the portrait, done in prismacolor pencils
I suppose Sarah III is lost forever. It was traded in a swap and the recipient did not make themself known (sigh). I definitely don’t have a photo, it was deleted when I cleared my attachments from the swap.

But. While I was organizing my box of bits and bobs I found an early draft. I guess I thought I might cut it up and repurpose it. Anyhoo, here’s the draft.

View attachment 235423

Last edited:
Welcome LuAnnP and vidas! Can’t wait to see what you both make for this swap.

LuAnn, yes please link examples of your previous work to the thread. I’ll also link it to the first post as examples as we talked, along with card I have in my collection by piggles (I just need to take the picts of hers). Thank you both for allowing me to do that and for joining the swap! :jiggy:

What an excellent theme! For now I'm going to lurk but may join in later if I can manage it timewise.

Some "samples...."

Here are two examples of this concept, that I've done for the swaps.
(I love to experiment this way!)

1_1507.JPG
1_1508.JPG
1_1509.JPG
1_1510.JPG

mixed media with security envelopes, Elegant Writer pen, mulberry paper colláge, alcohol marker

1_1343.jpeg
1_1344.jpeg
1_1345.jpeg
1_1347.jpeg

Prismacolor Pencil, alcohol marker, watercolor, charcoal

Back
Top Bottom