Cake! Pie! Ice Cream! ATCs inspired by Wayne Thiebaud - Due Nov 15

Swap Due Date – In hand by Nov 15, 2022
Signup/withdraw Date – None; please just let me know
Number of Cards - 3 for 3
Number of Participants – 20
Media – Hand Drawn, Hand Painted Only
Theme – Inspired by the Art of Wayne Thiebaud

Cake! Pie! Ice Cream!HD/HP ATCs inspired by Wayne Thiebaud - Due Nov 15

You've gotta love an artist that loves cake, pie and ice cream! From Wikipedia: "Thiebaud is well known for his paintings of production line objects found in diners and cafeterias, such as pies and pastries. As a young man in Long Beach, he worked at a cafe named Mile High and Red Hot, where "Mile High" was ice cream and "Red Hot" was a hot dog.

He was associated with the Pop art painters because of his interest in objects of mass culture; however, his works, executed during the 1950s and 1960s, slightly predate the works of the classic pop artists, suggesting that Thiebaud may have had an influence on the movement. Thiebaud employed heavy pigment and exaggerated colors to depict his subjects, and the well-defined shadows characteristic of advertisements are almost always included in his work. Thiebaud was averse to labels such as "fine art" versus "commercial art" and described himself as "just an old-fashioned painter". He disliked Andy Warhol's "flat" and "mechanical" paintings and did not consider himself a pop artist."

Any way you slice it, let's share some delicious atcs. Each card should feature a theme relevant to Wayne Thiebaud's work, in your own style. Cover at least 50% of the card with your artwork. Cards may be identical or different, but all must be your original artwork. Please keep cards flat or mostly flat with no embellishments. Acceptable mediums include marker, colored pencil, pastel, oils, watercolor, acrylic. Not acceptable mediums include ball point pen, chalk or crayons!

Card Guidelines:
1. Cards must be ATC standard size (2.5 x 3.5 inches.) and sturdy
2. Cards must be original and unique. No re-swapped cards, no commercially printed or reprinted cards or cards you have sent for prior swaps. All three cards for this swap may be identical/similar.
3. Cards must be in sent in individual plastic sleeves but can be placed in a pocket page strip for mailing
4. NO embellishments, please send your very best work.
5. Label the back of your cards with this swap name, your username, your real name, date, and location.

Mailing Guidelines (pm me for address):

1. Mail cards in a business sized envelope with appropriate postage. Postage due envelopes will be returned to sender.
2. US Participants - include a 1 large address label and 1 first class USPS stamp. I will provide envelopes.
3. Global Participants - include a return address label and either (1) U.S. Global Forever stamp or $1USD
4. When you are ready to mail your cards, please message me for my address.
5. Late cards will be returned to sender.

Miscellaneous:
*iTrader points will be given when I receive your cards. Please leave iTrader for me when you receive your returns and Reputation/You Rock for your senders.
*No cards or no communication will result in neutral iTrader. You may withdraw any time before the due date.
*A host card would be much appreciated but not required.

cake.jpg

pie.jpg

Ice cream.jpg

Blue Plate Specials & Dessert Lovers:

1. Haagm - withdrew
2. Aginghippychick - rec'd
3. TerriF - rec'd
4. Mwilding - rec'd
5. Asher - rec'd
6. Blueangel - rec'd
7. LuAnnP - rec'd
8. Dina54 - rec'd
9. Thisismycleverusername - rec'd
10. jtpaints - rec'd

Sold Out!

Last edited:
“ Each card should feature a theme relevant to Wayne Thiebaud's work, in your own style.”

Must the theme be sweets related? Or may inspiration be drawn from any of Thiebaud’s work?

Last edited:
Let keep to sweets/food or other diner related themes please:) I know he's done carnival, cats, etc but anything you might find in a diner would be fine - I love his gumball machines!

Back
Top Bottom