View Poll Results: Would you like to continue this discussion for the month of November in a new thread?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would like to participate in art goals discussion next month.

8 100.00%
  • Not really or Indifferent (I would not participate regardless).

0 0%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: October is Art Challenge Month: Come share your goals and let's support each other!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank You for this post!

Quote Originally Posted by letterdiva View Post

I’m also happy I accomplished another small, but long-delayed, goal. I received an ink stone and ink stick years ago, and I always wanted to use it but never did. (Not sure why. Did I think it was complicated? Was I saving it for something special? Or feeling it’s just too pretty to use?)
    I didn’t want this Inktober to pass without finally giving it a try. So today I dug it out to grind my own ink for the first time. So cool to think how ancient a practice that is, and we can still do the same today.
    The result? Well, my first attempt was a bit watery and produced more of a dark gray, but it was still usable. Now that I’ve gotten over that hurdle, I think I’ll make it again.
    This is absolutely FASCINATING! I've never heard of an ink stone before. Kudos to you for trying something old/new!!!
    I loved reading your description of the process and the feelings that go along with the process "Did I think it was complicated? Was I saving it for something special? Or feeling it’s just too pretty to use?"
    More than once I have hoarded a lovely art supply until it was past its prime. Carpe Diem!

A truly inspiring post!

2. Thanks letterdiva thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I drew some apples today, I am looking up doodle wash, inktober, I think I have to look up drawollween and or some of the other things, I was unaware of these things. But I DREW this morning.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    So after my tantrum yesterday I found the tutorial “Witch Sisters in the Woods” by The Art Sherpa. I made a card inspired by the end result of that tutorial.

74D74354-640B-48CB-9FAB-EA989110DB9B.jpg

And then I tried to turn one of the bases of the miniature gardens I did yesterday into something more “Drawlloweenish”. Not sure about this one…

70985512-CF6F-4749-9011-12C11C561829.jpg

These are both in gouache.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    So glad to see Gaia, Seascape, and LuAnn joining with challenges of their own.

I am loving all the chatter and the sharing of paintings and sketches! Magical and spooky ones, gargoyles and fortune tellers from Inktober and other October challenge prompts. We are are starting strong! Yay!

I’ve been busy urban sketching all weekend and having SO MUCH FUN!!! It is the first time I join in an Urban Sketchers event, meaning that is the first time I sketch with other sketchers. It was amazing to see the different styles and interpretations of the same scene, getting tips on tools and gear for on location sketching… plus drawing together on location with others makes it WAY LESS intimidating…

The event is over but the cherry on top for this weekend will come in just a few hours when I’ll meet two fellow AFA members for in person trading and dinner, while visiting their city. How cool is that?!

6. Thanks Seascape131 thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

I Recognized the "Sherpa" painting immediately!

QUOTING PIGGLES: So after my tantrum yesterday I found the tutorial “Witch Sisters in the Woods” by The Art Sherpa. I made a card inspired by the end result of that tutorial.

74D74354-640B-48CB-9FAB-EA989110DB9B.jpg

Oh, how FUN! I recognized this "Art Sherpa" painting right away. After years and years away from art, the Art Sherpa's "Wildflowers" painting was one of the first paintings I tried from a tutorial. I've done variations of that painting ever since. I did a whole year of weekly challenges with her and earned an "Art Eagle" certificate. Fond, fond memories of spending time with Cinnamon Cooney AKA "The Art Sherpa." She did a tutorial in honor of Bob Ross that still makes me cry.... (sentimental joyful tears....)

Thanks for bringing them back to me today.

P.S. I apologize to anyone who doesn't want to read my frequent dronings. I have no one to "talk art" with in person, so this forum fills a huge emotional need for me.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    P.S. I apologize to anyone who doesn't want to read my frequent dronings. I have no one to "talk art" with in person, so this forum fills a huge emotional need for me.

LuAnn, no apologies needed. This is what we are here for! Keep them coming.

9. Thanks LuAnnP thanked this post
    Likes letterdiva, jo.on.the.go liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just saying hey everyone and way to go!

Piggles, lovely backgrounds. And the light and dark interplay in your first garden piece was very cool.

Thanks LuAnn for the encouragement. The first creature you posted has character. I think it’s great you’re pursuing drawing cartoons. Sometimes there’s a thought or interaction that is just perfect for expressing as a cartoon/comic panel.

Periwinkle, yes the ink grinding process is straightforward but fascinating. Your day one and two pieces look great, such a cute squirrel. To me the gargoyle has an “art deco” feel.

Flashviv, glad you revived your blue journal, really nice so far. Very interested to see future installments.

Aifrati, love the page you did of your tools. Always a handy topic to do. And I’m so glad to hear you participated in an urban sketch event. Hope you have a fun time in-person trading too.

Jo, great “stonework.” And wow, I’ve seen a lot of scenes from you, so very impressed you can also draw people.

Jezebelle, I have so many older projects like albums to finish. I think doing any challenge makes us think about our other postponed projects and gets us motivated in general. It’s making me think of other non-art goals that I need to do, like exercise!

Gaia, glad you’re jumping in. Excited to see your ink drawings.

Seascape, participating is making me also aware of the other challenges out there that I didn’t know about. Whatever you do will be a welcome sight.

CiCi, what a lovely idea to do a pet portrait. I hope you make good progress on it this month, and anything else you feel moved to pursue.

This will be a great learning experience in so many ways.
    If you like watercolor painting, check out the PIF Watercolor Enthusiasts’ Best Efforts thread!

Remember: Powerful words start with humble letters.

11. Thanks Seascape131, jo.on.the.go, Periwinkle thanked this post
    Likes Seascape131, Aifrati liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys talking about art journals for your dogs got me thinking. We have had seven dogs since we were married (53 years ago! Den passed away in September of last year). I would love to create an art journal including all of them. Besides the artwork (maybe portraits in various media), I would include text, like cute or funny stories about each dog, because we know their personalities are so individual and different that each one has a cute story or little trick, etc. I need to get a basic book to begin. Then maybe I can decide on dates, one- or two-page spreads, etc. Now to find a book to alter into a journal.
    Now Hosting:Mini-Articulated Paperdolls for Christmas

13. Likes piggles, letterdiva, Seascape131, Aifrati liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today I finished another letter/envelope. The letter itself was written last month. Today I wrote out the address and added decorative flourishes to the envelope and letter. I used a pointed pen and gouache.

So now I have about 6 more letter/envelopes of this sort to start and hopefully finish this month. This exchange list is from a week-long workshop on writing Spencerian, an American pointed pen script popular from the mid-1800s to the early 1900s. The list is an exchange between the classmates that attended. I won’t tell you the year. I’m very, very late completing this.

Then I have another exchange list with 9 people from a similar workshop on making hand-drawn/painted certificates (called “engrossing certificates”, also popular in the same time period). As you can imagine, doing the art for that list might be a little more involved. I’ll probably have to tone down my grandiose plans of what I’ll do for it. If I can at least put a good dent in that list this month, that would be great.
    If you like watercolor painting, check out the PIF Watercolor Enthusiasts’ Best Efforts thread!

Remember: Powerful words start with humble letters.

15. Likes Seascape131 liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    CICI…Great idea about doing an art journal about your dogs. I miss all my animals.

17. Thanks CiCiCreates thanked this post
    Likes piggles liked this post
    jo.on.the.go is online now Home from my first traveling in 2 1/2 years: The Azores!
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we all miss our pets who are no longer with us. I still occasionally have dreams about Skeeter, the black cocker spaniel I had over 65 years ago (I’m an old one!). I’m too tied up to host a swap now, but maybe somebody else could host a HD/HP swap “Pets I Loved”.

I think that piggles is thinking of doing this swap early next year when she has recovered from surgery
    Last edited by jo.on.the.go; 10-04-2022 at 12:27 PM.
    "If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint, then by all means paint and the voice will be silenced" Van Gogh

19. Likes piggles, CiCiCreates liked this post
    jo.on.the.go is online now Home from my first traveling in 2 1/2 years: The Azores!
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Attachment 235253 Bat Flight

October 3 Challenge - Inktober: Bat
    The card has watercolor pearlescent paint (Fine Tec) for the moon.

Where would I be without my bats?

Also, thanks letterdiva for your comment about my drawing people (the Fortune Teller). I struggle with people. Landscapes are much more forgiving.
    Last edited by jo.on.the.go; 10-03-2022 at 08:24 AM.
    "If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint, then by all means paint and the voice will be silenced" Van Gogh

21. Likes piggles, letterdiva, Periwinkle, Strivaria liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    My apples illustration has failed, I have 2 of them, I am going to try some acrylic to see if I can save something to post. No guarantees with my painting and drawing, lol! I have just started looking at the prompts and tying to understand what is expected on this thread.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jo, what a great idea for a swap, “Pets I Have Loved”. I will take that under advisement. It could be anything one had as a pet. I never understood how one could love a snake, but they do.
    ———————-
    On another note, Piggles and I “met” on this thread, and we are excited and wanted to share our project with everyone here. We decided to do 4x6 portraits of our dogs who have recently passed - her Shilo and my Zoey. So far pictures have been exchanged and the size decided upon. I still need to decide whether I will do watercolor or colored pencil, and then do the beginning sketch. We will try to report updates as we go through the steps. I still want to start an art journal of all my dogs from the past (I’m old too, Jo!). Don’t know what I’ll do for the basic book. I’ve heard people often use those black and white cover composition notebooks, removing pages so it will be less bulky.

24. Likes jo.on.the.go, piggles, letterdiva liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seascape131 - nothing is a failure. It is just a learning experience!

26. Likes Seascape131, letterdiva liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Judy, I know what you mean about “what is expected on this thread”. I think the concept is supposed to be encouraging and helpful, not bewildering and stressful, it’s just a little different for we who haven’t done things this way before.

28. Thanks Seascape131 thanked this post
    Likes Seascape131, jo.on.the.go liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there, everyone! Jo told me about this thread and I just have to join in. My challenge will be a bit different. I was recently looking at my photos from our trip to New England in October/November 2015 and reliving those memories made me feel so peaceful. I told my husband that we need to spend the month of October in New England every year and he agreed - except he's gone back to work (retirement just didn't take for him) so it may remain a dream. So my challenge is to sketch one of my New England photos every other day using only black ink. Basically, I'll be practicing urban sketching. I've always been afraid not to sketch something out in pencil first so I can erase, thus this is a big challenge for me. And I may cheat a little and put a bit of watercolor here and there for the trees because - Trees! New England! Autumn! I think it's illegal in certain states not to include color for New England Autumn trees So that's my challenge, and I'll post here my sketches as I go along.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - E. Burke I have a new address as of March, 2022

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CiCiCreates View Post
    Judy, I know what you mean about “what is expected on this thread”. I think the concept is supposed to be encouraging and helpful, not bewildering and stressful, it’s just a little different for we who haven’t done things this way before.
    That’s exactly it. This is for us to cheer and support each other and learn about how we tackle our challenges, what works, what doesn’t and what we could do differently next time. Posting of “failures” is encouraged too as it will help us learn (note:I agree with Jo that there are no failures in art, just learning experiences). But whether to share pict or not is all up to you. You don’t have to post picts if you don’t want to, but we would like to hear about how is it going for you with your challenge, whether is going well or not so well.

31. Thanks CiCiCreates thanked this post
    Likes jo.on.the.go, letterdiva liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Ancient Planter!

As CiCi mentioned, we are doing 4x6 pet portraits for each other and I couldn’t wait to get started on Zoey. She is just so adorable and has the most soulful eyes! And, it counts as my goal of doing larger artwork

I am SO NOT goal oriented. I gave little thought to my goals and will forget them just as quickly

But I love the support and community of these types of threads, and I got to “meet” CiCi here!

If people are interested, and CiCi doesn’t want to be surprised, I can post WIPs of Zoey. I’m doing her in watercolour (of course), with probably some white gouache added at the end cause I lack the discipline to keep the whites where they should be.

33. Likes letterdiva liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did think about the surprise thing with us, but posting pics of our stages and progress is encouraged here, so I don’t mind. Peggy, the pics I posted for you have “tamed” hair at the top of her head and don’t show the fly-away Rod Stewart topknot I told you about, so glad I found them! Then my son says “What? No, I liked the topknot!” Go figure!

35. Likes letterdiva liked this post