View Poll Results: Would you like to continue this discussion for the month of November in a new thread?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would like to participate in art goals discussion next month.

8 100.00%
  • Not really or Indifferent (I would not participate regardless).

0 0%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: October is Art Challenge Month: Come share your goals and let's support each other!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

October is Art Challenge Month: Come share your goals and let's support each other!

Inktober, Drawlloween, Doodlewash Autum Fun, Artober, Tinkersketch, Witchtober, Creative Goals, .... the list goes on and on. Whenever you want to follow the art challenges above or create your own, join us this month of October to cheer each other up as we work on our art goals or challenges.

This support/encouragement thread was born from another thread about Inktober and started by flashviv, which you can find here.

I suggest you:
    • post your goals to the thread. There is nothing more motivating than a public commitment.
    • create a SMART goal (see below for more info on what that means). Often times we create what I call "wishful thinking" goals that are not really attainable and lead us to failure. Let's not do that and do attainable goals instead.
    • post a prompt list or link to your favorite challenge if you are following a public and official one. Maybe others will join you.
    • state how it went at the end of the month by coming back to your first post or the post where you stated your goals and updating it. You can tell us what about your challenges and successes, what you most enjoyed, and what you would do differently next time. It would be great if we can all learn from each other's experience.

I'll be joining in and out, as I have a lot of travel to do in October, some of it in areas of sketchy (pun intended) communications or in circumstances which will not allow me much time on the computer. But we will have wonderful co-cheerleaders in flashviv, jezebelle, and letterdiva, who indicated on the first thread wanting to do this, and from all of you joining us now!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Anticipated questions (will update if more pop-up during our discussions):

Do I have to draw/journal/create-a-card every day?

No, unless that is your goal. It is your art challenge. You decide what your goal is. Although most, if not all, of the above challenges are intended for doing art everyday, you don't have to do that if you don't wish-to or if know you can't commit to it. Think about what you can commit to and start from there.

Does it have to be done on an ATC?

No, unless that is what you wish to do! My goal will be about sketching in my sketchbook and will not be making ATCs for it. Your goal could be of starting a visual journal, or an art journal. Or maybe your goal is to do 4 pieces of Artwork that are 18*24, one per week. Or, maybe you want to do an ATC a day; then go for it.

Do I have to share pictures of what I do?

No, unless you want to, but still let us know how it is going for you along the way. If you wish to share picts, you may share your progress directly in the thread or through links to Instagram, Pinterest or wherever you have them. (Please be cognizant of platforms which might require an account to see them, which will limit your viewing audience).

So, what is a SMART goal?

SMART goals are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic/relevant, and time-bound.

• Specific(simple, sensible, significant). Ex. Draw a dog
    • Measurable (meaningful, motivating). Ex. Three times per week
    • Achievable (agreed, attainable). Ex. Before breakfast
    • Reasonable (relevant, realistic and resourced, results-based). Ex. Does not have to be a complete drawing. A five minute sketch counts.
    • Time bound (time-based, time limited, time/cost limited, timely, time-sensitive). Ex. For the month of October

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Come share your goals and progress! Let's support each other!
    So, what is your goal?
    Last edited by Aifrati; 10-01-2022 at 09:11 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

3. Thanks jezebelle thanked this post
    Likes jezebelle, Periwinkle, Seascape131 liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    My goals this month: in general I want to Draw/Paint in my sketchbook/journal as much as I can, to record my life and improve my skills.

My SMART goal will vary by week.

The first week will be doing urban sketching in my journal (specific), as I will be taking a Seminar in which I'll be doing that all weekend (attainable, realistic). I'll do it at least 5 sketches that week (measurable, time-bound).

Will update this post each week.

jezebelle is online now ATC Virtuoso, Pencil Enthusiast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by jezebelle; 09-30-2022 at 10:38 PM.
    now hosting: PINK HOUSES! http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/show...anuary-20-2023
    andÖ Iím playing LOTERIA in the ATC Trade Forum, please join me!

6. Likes Seascape131 liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all!

I’ve tried the October Creative Sprint twice. And failed. This year I plan to ‘SMART’-en up a little, mostly by making my goal more realistic.

My challenge for October is Drawlloween Lite. Drawlloween Lite is basically Drawlloween with half the commitment.
    I will draw something (or paint, or whatever) every two days. And it can be anything at all: a sketch, an ATC, a wall mural…

I will be pulling freely from the Drawlloween prompts shown in post #4, and any we might add, in no particular order. I hope that letting my muse run freely on this spooky playground will keep my creative juices flowing.

Would anyone like to get spooky with me?
    Last edited by jezebelle; 09-28-2022 at 04:44 PM.

8. Likes flashviv, Seascape131 liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I need to do a commemorative portrait of my dog, who died last month. I have been afraid I won’t get to it in time, and then it may be forgotten. I could make that my art goal for October if that is ok. Always a dog-lover, I have a quilt I made several years ago with doggie print fabrics and photos of six of our dogs throughout the years on the borders. But Zoey missed out being on that quilt, so I wanted to do a little (5”x7”) portrait of her that I could frame and hang. I think this will help me to accomplish this goal.
    Now Hosting:

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    CiCI, animals can be such a big part of our lives and hearts, I am sorry for your loss.
    Of course your portrait can be your October goal. Have you chosen a medium? Have you thought about what your process will be? What is your deadline?

11. Thanks Aifrati thanked this post
    Likes Aifrati, letterdiva, Seascape131 liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think my deadline will be the end of October. If I finish before that, I can come up with a new goal. Medium will be watercolors or colored pencils, still need to decide that.
    Now Hosting:

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cici, welcome. Iím sorry for your lost. I lost my 16 yo Vivi on June 14th. She was a mini poodle and my Baby. I am still doing a scrap book about her. My goals will vary by week and one of the will be to practice drawing her in a comic. I have so many stories I want to remember and I want to make a comic to tell them,. So far I have done the sad end of the scrapbook and the first page with a painting of one of the first picts I have of her when she was 6-8 weeks old. An AFA friend also made me a beautiful portrait of my Vivi. Sadly she also lost her baby dog girl shortly after that. So there are a couple of us here that know what you are going through and are even still going through it as well.

We are supporting you on your goal. You can do it. I would suggest to maybe break it down in some bits, like choosing a reference photo by x date, doing a couple of thumbnails by y date and the initial sketch by z date to make it more manageable. I find that if my goal is too big I tend to procrastinate on tackling it as it seems like a huge shore. But if I break it up I can tackle it more easily. It does not matter that I know those are the steps that lead to the final product to begin with. For some reason writing down the series of tasks that lead to completion of the goal helps me. Maybe you donít have my issue, if you do, here is one way to try to tackle it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great suggestions, thank you. I will probably try to break it down into workable sections of time and effort.
    Now Hosting:

15. Likes Aifrati, letterdiva, Seascape131 liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    CiCiCreates so sorry to hear of the loss of your precious fur baby. Our dogs are family and itís so very hard when we lose them.

I lost my doggie at the end of July, she was a rescue we had for 9.5 years, and I miss her so much.
    (This is me in Aifradtiís post)

Quote Originally Posted by Aifrati View Post
    An AFA friend also made me a beautiful portrait of my Vivi. Sadly she also lost her baby dog girl shortly after that. So there are a couple of us here that know what you are going through and are even still going through it as well.
    Like Aifrati , Iím also making a scrapbook of my doggie, and also like her, I did the hard ending bit, to get it out of the way. I am including both art and photos in my book. A few of my art friends have made / are making little portraits of her, and they are so special!

I also did a few portraits, both a larger 11x14 hang on the wall one (which I donít like and want to redo), and a few smaller 5x7 ones. I framed them and gave them to my hubby for his 60th birthday which was just a few weeks after we said goodbye to her. I would love to support / encourage/ whatever you need in the making of your doggie portrait.

17. Thanks jezebelle, CiCiCreates thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    And, I would love to join this challenging! Thank you Aifrati for setting up this thread and Jez for the Dralloween prompts.

I was asked by another AFA friend to consider doing Inktober, but I know I wouldn’t do it because I’m in full-on painting mode at the moment, and learning gouache.

So my goals are: 3-4 ATCs per week, and at least two of these per week will be from a Drawlloween prompt. (I edited this down from 6 because it occurred to me if I do 6 ATCs I won’t have time for the next goal. Being SMART!)

And another goal of doing at least one larger portrait of my late doggie, with a stretch goal of redoing the 11x14 one.
    Last edited by piggles; 09-28-2022 at 04:37 PM.

19. Thanks jezebelle thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for inviting me to this thread, Aifrati!

My general goal will be to complete as many Inktober2022 drawings as I can during the month of October, without falling behind on my other work and commitments.

My SMART goal will be to spend at least half an hour drawing (toward those prompts) every day, once my regular work planning is done. Some days I will be able to do more, but I don't want to do less any day.

2022 09 20 Inktober day 1, Gargoyle aut. lt. opt. 25%.jpg 2022 09 29 Inktober day 2, Scurry rS2, oH20 18%.jpg 2022 10 01 Bat oH7 25%.jpg 2022 10 02 Scallop sat105, oH10, yS1, pH20 25%.jpg
    Last edited by Periwinkle; 10-04-2022 at 06:48 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Blue Journal

6 Oct - I am working well in my journal - another two x two page spreads completed. It has been a long time since I have devoted time to drawing in my journals. Getting back to ATCs for All has got me making art again, now this challenge has got me focused on finishing a WIP. I like that I am creating a story book style piece of art.

29 Sep - This thread has come along at the right time for me! I needed something to focus my art efforts on and having a SMART goal is a great way of staying the course. Thank you Aifrati

Thinking long and hard about what I would like to commit to for Inktober I have decided that instead of starting a new project I would finish an old one. I started this Blue Journal over 10 years ago and never got around to finishing it. I have 3 completed two page spreads and 8 left to complete.

I will add each finished two page spread to this post as I complete them during Inktober. Plan is to work on my Blue Journal at least every second day.
    Last edited by flashviv; 10-06-2022 at 02:29 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    flashviv, those fish are fab! I think this is a great October challenge.

Tho your project is bigger, and more formal, it sounds like you and I will be working at roughly the same pace. It’s nice to have some company.

Do you hope to complete a spread every four days (ish), or will you work on multiple spreads at one time, completing them at random?

Just this week, I was just mentioning to an art friend that I have a similar challenge in my future. I have a more than ten year old altered book that made a year long (maybe longer) rotation around the country. It was really not complete when it came back to me. And I did no more work on it myself. Perhaps your project will motivate me to finally pick this one back up and finish it.
    Last edited by jezebelle; 09-29-2022 at 01:32 AM.

23. Likes flashviv, letterdiva, Seascape131 liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Such interesting and varied goals we all have! Iím glad we are all here to support each other.

jez your goals are very sensible. So are yours, Periwinkle. I like that. This time you are both on your way to success.

piggles I know you can be very prolific in your art if you put your heart to it, even when they might take significant effort to produce (as they are always gorgeous), but editing your goal down to 3-4 ATCís per week vs 6 is a very SMART move.

flashviv wow! I love your goal of finishing your blue journal. Looking forward to your process. Itís going to be such a great feeling when you finish it. I know you will also be traveling in October. Will the journal travel with you, then?

25. Thanks jezebelle thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jezebelle, I try to complete a two page spread before starting on the next two pages but usually an idea jumps out while I am doing that and I end up starting sketching up before I have totally finished. This is good because I have some sketches done to start me off for the next pages.

I have two Moleys that got done in round robins here over 10 years ago, they inspired me to have a go at filling one up myself. They are beautiful to pull out and look at. Unfortunately life got in the way and the one I started got put aside. But I have heaps of time now I’m not working - so no excuses!

Aifrati, you bet the Blue Journal is going on holidays with me. While my partner is fishing and biking I will be arting!!

27. Likes jezebelle, letterdiva, Seascape131 liked this post
    jo.on.the.go is online now Home from my first traveling in 2 1/2 years: The Azores!
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to join in.

My SMART goal will be to spend at least an hour a week doing art journaling. And my second goal will be to make 5 cards a week using prompts from the posted challenges. I am not going to join any of the actual challenges, but I will pick prompts from among them that appeal to me. Hopefully I will be able to share some journal pages on this thread. And for ATCs, I will post my cards in my Available for Trade Gallery and also here.
    "If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint, then by all means paint and the voice will be silenced" Van Gogh

29. Thanks jezebelle thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, Jo! So glad to have you here. I like your sensible goals. Canít wait to see what you do in your journal.

I know is the eve of challenge month still, but my Iím already on a roll. WellÖ My urban sketching weekend starts this evening. But to start, I sketched some of my tools for this weekend. I did it from pictures rather than from life because that was part of my planned entertainment for the 5hr flight from the East to the West Coast.

3012B7A6-9EA8-447B-B41C-46B373A97A71.jpg

I still need to add my hat and my stool, for sure. I also sketched the stop at the parking garage (again from picts as it was dark and I was on a schedule) and the view from the airplane window, that one from life.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I added the Drawtober prompts to post #4 with the other spooky season prompts.

32. Likes Seascape131 liked this post