View Poll Results: Would you like to continue this discussion for the month of November in a new thread?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would like to participate in art goals discussion next month.

8 100.00%
  • Not really or Indifferent (I would not participate regardless).

0 0%
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: October is Art Challenge Month: Come share your goals and let's support each other!

jezebelle is online now ATC Virtuoso, Pencil Enthusiast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Uurrrgh. I’m working on today’s piece. Right now I’m working toward something in my comfort zone, as far as technique and materials. And I can see that this piece will eventually get where I want it. But I’m frustrated. Even with that choice, it takes me forever to get to a place where I’m satisfied. And that’s fine under normal circumstances. But if I want to meet my challenge goals, I’m going to have to loosen up and be satisfied with something “less than”, or I’m going to need to adjust my goals.
    Last edited by jezebelle; 10-04-2022 at 07:50 PM.
    now hosting: PINK HOUSES! http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/show...anuary-20-2023
    andÖ Iím playing LOTERIA in the ATC Trade Forum, please join me!

2. Likes LuAnnP, Periwinkle, HHC liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve really enjoyed seeing everyone’s day 4 work. Bravo!
    Love the encouragement and interaction of this thread too.

I’m plugging away at my letters…
    If you like watercolor painting, check out the PIF Watercolor Enthusiastsí Best Efforts thread!

Remember: Powerful words start with humble letters.

4. Likes LuAnnP liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ancient Planter, drawing from your New England pictures will be a great practice for when your able to do urban sketching there. I hope you get to visit soon and that drawing from yoir picture bring you back good memories.

Jo, picking and choosing from all the prompt lists is a great idea. I like your scallop too. I have felt intimidated by certain items in specific lists in the past and have never done a full prompt list challenge ever. Not even close. I think drawing from several<prompts would probably make it more doable for me. Also, practicing drawing people is one thing I would like to do more. At the USk event This past weekend, I took a workshop on drawing people hoping to get tips and tricks to accomplish that on location. We got lots of tips and now is up to me to practice drawing the from pictures so that drawing from life gets a little easier.

LuAnn, I love your zentangle bat and also the scallop.
    Another amazing scallop is Periwinkleís on the first page of the thread. So, colorful!

Jezebelle, thanks for posting successes and also the ones you are struggling with. Are you going to try it again? Not so long ago when I was a very beginner ďartistĒ I decided to try over an over again a particular painting that did not work to see if I could make it work. Those paintings really accelerated my skill development. I would think it will still help even if you already have some skill, although with a more moderate effect.

Piggles such a lovely painting of Zoey. You are right. She has such expressive eyes! And doing your first swap on the theme that Jo suggested would be perfect! It will fill-up fast!!!

Seascape, I like your apples. What were you trying to accomplish that you feel did not work?

CiCi, thank you for your kind comments about my sketches. Seeing the sketches of the other artists, and sometimes their whole sketchbooks was fascinating. Everyone had such different styles, but were so supportive of each other. It was so nice to be among others who enjoy drawing on location.

6. Thanks LuAnnP, Periwinkle thanked this post
    Likes Seascape131, flashviv liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    So. I know this will need touch ups on holidays, edges and details when I have better light in the morning. But she is essentially done. The prompt was witch.

Attachment 235304

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aifrati , your workshop on drawing people sounds great. I want to learn to draw figures better, without a reference. I can do faces without a reference, but I usually try to avoid the body.

9. Likes Aifrati liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, Piggles, here is my portrait of your adorable Shilo. Hope you like it, I was very close to overworking it, as I saw little things here and there to tweek, I had to make myself call it finished. I did it in watercolors, and I do think most of my animal paintings were done in colored pencil. This was a bit of a challenge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now Hosting:Mini-Articulated Paperdolls for Christmas

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    CiCi I love my adorable painting of Shilo! Thank you so much!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are very welcome!

13. Likes piggles liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just read through all five pages and am inspired. But I am truly terrible at staying with any kind of goals. I may have done six inktober prompts the first time I tried it. LOL I guess I will just be a lurker.

CiCi and Piggles your paintings are awesome tributes to two beautiful furbabies.

Aifrati love your urban sketches. The closest thing to that I have done is sketches at the coast or botanical gardens.

LuAnn your scallop is perfect but I love the zentangle Bat!
    I have been working on making "Journals" my first is
    posted in the journal chat, and I will be adding others soon!
    ~ JOURNAL CHAT(and scrapbook) ~ ★ Buddy Card Trading ★
    MY AVAILABLES ATCs I may also have available ATCoins
    Challenge, Chat and Create

15. Thanks LuAnnP thanked this post
    Likes Ancient Planter, piggles, letterdiva liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that we got those doggie portraits done so fast, I will need to come up with some new goals for the month. I will think on it and share my ideas.

17. Likes piggles, Aifrati, letterdiva liked this post
    jo.on.the.go is offline Home from my first traveling in 2 1/2 years: The Azores!
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Attachment 235307 Bent Pyramid

October 5 Challenge - Tinker Lab: Bent

The Bent Pyramid is located in the Royal Necropolis of Dashir, about 25 miles south of Cairo, Egypt. This pyramid is intermediate between the step-sided mastabas and the smooth pyramids. The pyramid is bent because ancient engineers discovered that the original incline was too steep, leading to instability; therefore the incline was changed near the top. The pyramid was built about 2600 BCE for Pharaoh Sneferu, but it wasn't used as his burial place.
    "If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint, then by all means paint and the voice will be silenced" Van Gogh

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Inktober Day 5

The Day 5 prompt was "Flame"

It was hard to think of something original for this one, too. So once again I just drew from a reference photo. I am not delighted with this. The execution did not meet with my expectations. (I also should NOT use a brush pen when doing dots... but I was too lazy to get up and look for a better pen.)

Worst of all: I decided to look ahead on the prompts and there are very few that really excite me and one that I absolutely refuse to do.

Piggles: I am excited to hear that you are planning to host your first swap. I will need to go back a ways, since I married a man with allergies....and now have grandsons with allergies. When I was growing up, I had a succession of cats. I loved them dearly. But they stayed outdoors. Your portrait of Zoey was SO cute. You definitely have a knack for animals. I am glad you post on Instagram so I can see better details.

CiCiCreates: The portrait of Shilo is simply lovely. You really captured her(his?) SPIRIT and the pose is wonderful. I also appreciate your "hints" for drawing people.

Jo: I think you should publish a TRAVEL BOOK, with all your lovely little "watercolor sketches." It would be a perfect book for keeping on hand whenever I want to "couch travel...."

Jezebelle: I LOVE that witch!!!! I'm always curious to know more about an artist's processes AND why "something doesn't meet expectations." I must admit that I am a totally LAZY artist. I seldom work too hard on anything.... but I do have fun.

Linda4atc: I am happy to see you lurking! Now that I have taken a look at the prompts, I'm feeling a little less inspired with Inktober. I may need to copy Jo's idea of browsing among the various lists of prompts...

Seascape: I love the COLOR in those apples ATCs. I'm glad you decided to post them after all. I am often inspired by your color schemes.

Aifrati: I love your posts. Imitation is the sincerely form of flattery, so I am trying to post just once daily and "speak" with everyone who posted the previous day.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been reading a book called Mindful Sketching: How to Develop a Drawing Practice and Embrace the Art of Imperfection by Peggy Dean. I'm just getting to the techniques section, but basically she's saying to draw or sketch with the intent of being imperfect, forgetting about trying for perfect art. It's very freeing to draw with the plan for the drawing to be imperfect!

So with imperfection in mind, here's my sketch of Samuel Clemens' home in Hartford Conn. If you've ever seen his home you'll know how very imperfect this is! It's a 4x6 sketch in an accordion fold watercolor journal.

IMG_5756.jpg
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - E. Burke I have a new address as of March, 2022

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the fourth year I've done (at least some) drawings for Inktober, and I have finally managed to do my first ink-only drawing. I think it was LUANN's beautiful recent posts that inspired me to try it. (Day 5, "Flame." Photo ref. for the candle shape from stevepb on Pixabay)

2022 10 05 Flame 25%.jpg

22. Thanks LuAnnP thanked this post
    Likes piggles, flashviv, letterdiva, Seascape131 liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Linda4atc, welcome! I think we all struggle with goals. We all tend to start with, as I mention in the first post, ďwishful thinkingĒ goals. We just need to realize that and try to make an attainable goal. The SMART goal system works to make things more doable. You can read more about it in the first post. So you donít have to stay a lurker and can make your own attainable goal instead (but you are very welcome to lurk and chat either way). I would start by determining what you think it would be fairly easy to accomplish. Maybe is not drawing everyday, but every other day or two, for example. Then, take it down a notch or two and make that your goal. If the first week you see it does not work, then modify and go.

Jez, I agree with LuAnn. I love your witch. What do you use to tone the paper that color?

LuAnn,
    thank you for the flattery ! I feel I have to do my posts this way because by the time I can see the forum so much has happened!!! Yay! I LOVE your candle by the way. I know it did not meet your expectations but I think using the brush pen actually gave your drawing some character. I like that the dots are irregular.

Piggles, I need to work really hard on figures. I am hoping that with practice I may be able to draw some without a reference. I have trouble with everything but more with faces and hands.

Periwinkle
    beautiful ink sketch of a candle!

CiCi,
    you did such a cute portrait of Shilo! It turned our wonderful in watercolor.

Ancient Planter, I love the sketch you made with imperfection in mind. I think we tend to focus on the wrong things. Sometimes we should all be focusing on the process vs the result. Thatís why I love sketching in my journals. I donít have to show it if I donít want to. However I find myself not shy about sharing my imperfect sketches. I donít care if someone thinks they are child like, or made by someone with not much skill. They bring joy to me regardless. ÖAnd thank you for letting us know about the book you are reading. It sounds like something I agree with and would enjoy.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I have found a new goal, I need to make it doable along with current swap commitments. I will attempt to sketch a hand twice a week, a hand in a different position (making a fist, pointing, etc.) or holding a specific object. I hope this will give me more confidence in drawing hands on my figures.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    CiCi, I think that is a GREAT challenge!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Iím with Jezebelle, CiCi. That is a great challenge!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all!

I just completed TWO drawings! You can’t see them til tomorrow, I did the color with ink and watercolor, so they’re still wet. I freaking love them. They are VERY VERY creepy. The prompt is doll.

I feel re-enlivened! Is that a word?

Truth be told, I was really struggling. I got behind on the chat, I felt disconnected from the group. I seem to be the only one doing the challenge “lite” and I’m still having a hard time keeping up. I struggled to find time to do my first prompt, and then it was a disaster. I was satisfied with the next one, but it took forever to get there. This whole thing was beginning to feel like a slog, an obligation, an encumberment. I was thinking of dropping out of the thread. I wanted to talk about it, maybe get some perspective, but I didn’t want to infect the group with my negativity.

I don’t think I needed a “win” exactly, but that win gave me a minute to step back and take a breath. A minute to reassess. At its most basic, I’ve chosen a challenge to get me making art at least every other day. There it is. That’s my goal. Find art time at least every other day, hopefully improve my skills and speed through practice.

I think I need to adjust my goal to be measured in time spent, not pieces completed. Some things take me many hours to complete. If it takes me more than one sitting to complete a piece, that has to be okay, as long as I’m putting in the time.

And I think I’m letting go of the prompt list. I need to make time and do work. I don’t need to add a subject (or medium, or technique) challenge to my challenge.

And I’m letting go of all the chat I missed. I’m just going to pick up here, and move forward. I apologize if I missed something fantastic you did or discovered, or if I wasn’t around when you needed a boost.
    Last edited by jezebelle; 10-06-2022 at 12:14 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aifrati, the tone you see on my witch, and in a lot of my work, is ink that I made from the hulls of walnuts.
    Coffee will give you similar tones, but behaves in a completely different way.

29. Likes piggles, Ancient Planter liked this post