Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: November/ December Art Goals: Join the discussion and letís support each other!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

November/ December Art Goals: Join the discussion and letís support each other!

By popular demandÖ this support/encouragement thread is a continuation of the ďOctober is Art Challenge MonthĒ thread.

The purpose is to think about your art goals, propose a realistic plan on what to accomplish this month, check in on your progress, and join the discussions and support and encourage of each other.

I suggest you:
    • post your goals to the thread. There is nothing more motivating than a public commitment.
    • create a SMART goal (see below for more info on what that means). Often times we create what I call "wishful thinking" goals that are not really attainable and lead us to failure. Let's not do that and aim for attainable goals instead.
    • post a prompt list or link to your favorite challenge if you are following a public and official one. Maybe others will join you.
    • Share how it is going along the way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Anticipated questions (will update if more pop-up during our discussions):

Do I have to draw/journal/create-a-card every day?

No, unless that is your goal. It is your art challenge. You decide what your goal is. Although most challenges have a daily prompt list to follow, you don't have to do that if you don't wish-to or if know you can't commit to it. Think about what you can commit to and start from there.

Does it have to be done on an ATC?

No, unless that is what you wish to do! My goal will likely be more related to sketching in my sketchbook than making ATCs. Your goal could be of starting a visual journal, or an art journal. Or maybe your goal is to do 4 pieces of Artwork that are 18*24, one per week. Or, maybe you want to do an ATC a day; then go for it.

Do I have to share pictures of what I do?

No, unless you want to, but still let us know how it is going for you along the way. If you wish to share picts, you may share your progress directly in the thread or through links to Instagram, Pinterest or wherever you have them. (Please be cognizant of platforms which might require an account to see links, which will limit your viewing audience).

So, what is a SMART goal?

SMART goals are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic/relevant, and time-bound.

• Specific(simple, sensible, significant). Ex. Draw a dog
    • Measurable (meaningful, motivating). Ex. Three times per week
    • Achievable (agreed, attainable). Ex. Before breakfast
    • Reasonable (relevant, realistic and resourced, results-based). Ex. Does not have to be a complete drawing. A five minute sketch counts.
    • Time bound (time-based, time limited, time/cost limited, timely, time-sensitive). Ex. For the month of November

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Come share your goals and progress! Let's support each other!
    Last edited by miss; 11-25-2022 at 07:58 PM.
    Join us for Creative Goals 2023

~~~~My Gallery ~^~^~^~^~^~^~ My available ATCs~~~~

2. Thanks letterdiva thanked this post
    Likes Periwinkle, letterdiva liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Link to prompt list

Doodlewash prompt list for those interested in following one. Remember to make a goal that works for you. This prompt list is not a requirement or even suggestion for this thread, it is just one of many options if your goal is about sketching or creating daily.

https://i0.wp.com/doodlewash.com/wp-...mpts.jpg?ssl=1

4. Likes Periwinkle, Seascape131 liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    When thinking about my goals for this month, I thought what about what I want to get out of my art, and make goals to support my broader desires, instead of just goals for the sake of goals.

I want to always, always, always have fun with art, and to learn and grow. These are the things I value the most from my art, so I want to set goals to support that. I also need to be really careful my goals for this month, because between our little mini vacation to Vancouver- in the middle of an ďatmospheric riverĒ, another story - and my first cataract surgery, Iím going to have much less time for art than normal.

So my smart goals are: take 2-3 online lessons to learn or refine a technique, and then do at least one piece of ďjust for fun artĒ from the techniques Iíve learned.

And for a stretch goal, Iíd like to do a few urban sketches in Vancouver. However the weather, and the fact weíre going with another couple, will impact this.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Iím loving the art of Jane Davies, and she has lessons on Skillshare, which I found a 50% off coupon for, and joined for a year (mainly because I canít join month by month).

She also had a blog post on painting a spaniel, so I attempt to follow the post and paint along in her technique. Learning from a blog post is really difficult! My spaniel turned out quite a bit different than hers, but Iím happy with it.

B81BA157-2848-4CB7-B197-F6C02BD021B9.jpeg

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    So then I wanted to try my late doggie, Shilo, in a similar technique. Iím determined to paint a picture of Shilo that Iím happy with, but this isnít it. I got the colours too muddy, and proceeded to overwork the heck out of it. Initially I was going to throw this in the garbage, but once I stepped back a bit I decided it didnít really belong in the bit bucket, so Iím keeping it and calling it a learning experience

6B68C675-6A0C-4978-9871-E3974B58ED53.jpeg

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those are great and sensible goals Peggy! Enjoy your mini vacation with friends. Even if you canít do Urban Sketching during it, you could try do visual journaling of the experience, like I know youíve done in the past by sketching in the hotel from pictures. You could also add mementos (ephemera) collected during it, like maps, tickets, flyers, etc. Just an idea.

My goal this month is to do 30 small pen sketches, more or less one each day from a 200 prompt sketchbook I bought last year and havenít used. This goal is to support a friend who is doing the same as part of an online course we took. The idea is to do 1 a day, but I will also undergo surgery at the end of the month and wonít be able to do them around those days, so Iíll do some in advanced. Iím also keeping it simple by not coloring and just doing pen and taking just 10-15 minutes with each. I might someday go back to color them.

The other goal is similar to Peggyís. I want to improve at my art, so Iím going to start watching and doing some of the lessons Iíve bought from Domestika, Craftsy, Udemy, Teachable, etc. (Yes, I hoard online art courses on top of art supplies )

To make the second one a SMART goal and keep it realistic, Iíll do at least three lessons this month and I will choose freely among my available ones. One of these months Iíll focus on a particular technique or course.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aifrati I hoard online courses too! Or maybe, I prefer, ďcollectĒ!

10. Likes jo.on.the.go, Aifrati, wildholly liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Peggy, I'm so glad you are on Instagram so I can see high resolution images of your work! That spaniel is wonderful!

Your comment
    "I want to always, always, always have fun with art, and to learn and grow. "
    really resonates with me.

Ada, I truly appreciate this new opportunity for goals and support. I am going to thoughtfully put my goals in my next post.

12. Thanks piggles thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

November GOALS

A bit of background: I joined the Topeka Art Guild in January 2020. I went to ONE MEETING and then covid struck. At that time, I hadn't made any ATCs and I was hoping to do acrylic painting lessons in my home.

Covid really changed things and I became a bit reclusive. So my big goal for November is to prepare myself to join the art community in my city.

On November 1 I signed up to participate in the art guild Open House. It is December 2 and December 3. I've never been to it before, so I don't know exactly what to expect. I signed up to "do" ATCs as a one of the ongoing demonstrations. I have a month to get everything as ready as I can. So my goals are:

1. Update my blog page so that the "lead" article gives people more information about ATCs.
    2. Make a set of business cards with the blog URL and other important URLs (such as ATCsForAll.com)
    3. Make an album showing cards from around the world (the work part of this is that I want to get permission from each artist, even though the cards, technically, belong to me I want them to know and approve of being "on display.")
    4. Make a little "file" of "easy prompts/ samples" for people who want to make an ATC during the event.
    5. Prepare blank ATCs and package materials so that people can easily make cards during the event.
    6. Make a set of nesting trays for the ATCs. The plan will be "two in, one out" for this event. Make two cards to add to the "pool" of cards. Take one out to take home. (I am hoping to get some sort of regular event going, but that may be a "Pie in the Sky" goal!)

So here is my first question:

If you have traded with me here on ATCsFA, would you give me permission to display your card(s) in my "ATC Friends from Around the World" album????

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitely give you permission to display any cards you have from me, LuAnn! I think most people would be really happy to have their artwork be part of such an event.

My November art goals are these: Make some Christmas ATCs that I like and do more watercolor painting for my local class. I've been doing about one watercolor painting a week during October, but it hasn't been my first priority, and now I want to continue doing at least one a week, but without stress or rushing or staying up till three in the morning, which I have done more than is comfortable lately. No regrets. I'm happy, but it's time to rest and enjoy.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
    I would definitely give you permission to display any cards you have from me, LuAnn! I think most people would be really happy to have their artwork be part of such an event.
    Thank you, Melinda! I will be happy to make your "page."

I'm glad you are going to take time to rest and enjoy. Your watercolors are always amazing to me.

16. Thanks Periwinkle thanked this post
    Likes Periwinkle liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love to experiment with watercolor paint. I like to see it moving on the paper. My goal is simply to do more atcs , try some acrylic painting , doodles, and paint 1 or 2 regular size paintings. I am a person who has to be in the mood to paint and have an idea of what I want to paint. Sometimes I like working from prompts and sometimes not. I like to paint fields, wild grasses, trees, something I have seen while out in nature. There are some art centers near me, I like them , they even have opportunity to show your work, but I have not participated since Covid. There are a number of watercolor societies to join around me too. This gives a chance to meet other artists and they have a lot of classes and activities too. Covid has kind of clipped my wings as far as these things, I will be one that pops in and out on this thread. My goal is just to do better with my art.

jo.on.the.go is online now Home from my first traveling in 2 1/2 years: The Azores!
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to be with this group for November and I have been thinking of what I want as goals.

I love painting abstracts, and looking at them as well. I am very aware that abstracts are not an especially popular theme here, though at the moment there are some abstract swaps going on. Abstracts don't seem to trade well, but I've decided that I really don't care because I want to do them for myself. I have some definite ideas about abstracts that many people may not agree with. First, let me say that I don't like abstracts that "look like wallpaper". Jackson Pollack seems to be the only artist with talent enough to get away with this. To me, good use of color, a composition and a focal point are ingredients of a successful abstract. And I want to make these characteristics part of my compositions for the month.

Specifically, my goal for the month is to create one abstract ATC each day (more if I'm on a roll!). In order to expand my variety and increase my skills, I want to watch at least one instructional video each week and use what I learn to create one of my ATCs each week using those techniques. In addition, I want to make some larger abstracts. Today I plan on shopping for wooden panels for these larger paintings. Because I don't have them yet, I will try to commit to making three larger paintings during the month.
    "If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint, then by all means paint and the voice will be silenced" Van Gogh

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Peggyó The Spaniel and Shilo paintings are beautiful. I know is harder to be content with the Shilo one because is of her and not a random dog. You knew her so well and you probably want her personality to come through. It is a beautiful painting, but I know youíll get to paint that one pict of Shilo that you will love. Keep at it!

LuAnnó I welcome you to display any of my ATCís you may have. Iím glad you are branching out again to share more of your art and inspire others to do art.

Periwinkle ó great job at Inktober. I just saw the new ones youíve posted in the October thread. I like that you are taking time to continue with your art goals but at a more relaxed and enjoyable pace. Is great to stretch ourselves a little every now and then as it helps us grow, but we also need to take the time to just enjoy the process.

Seascape ó looks like you have many opportunities to share your art and join other artist in your area. Are you planning to join some of those again soon? I would think those would be great for inspiration, and similar to how AFA has been for me, would help you with your art growth. I wish I had more of those opportunities around here.

20. Thanks Seascape131, LuAnnP, Periwinkle thanked this post
    Likes Periwinkle, flashviv liked this post
    jo.on.the.go is online now Home from my first traveling in 2 1/2 years: The Azores!
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm giving my first four cards dates November 1 - 4, though all were done today. I found a tutorial for abstract impressionistic watercolor paintings, and I used the same techniques for all of these. Unfortunately, I can't find what I watched, but it had a lot of techniques I hadn't used before, or had only used sparingly in the past:

1) really wetting the paper first
    2) using tube watercolors (I usually use Derwent watercolor pencils)
    3) using a cut up plastic credit card type card for all application of paint
    4) spritzing the painting and tiling it so that colors would run

I'm not exactly happy with the results, but I didn't expect perfection on my first try! Shoreline was my first attempt, and is the only one that looks even remotely like the tutorial. Did you notice that none of these have an ink sketch drawn first - my "trademark" style.

Attachment 235994 Nov 1 Shoreline

Attachment 235995 Nov 2 Marsh

Attachment 235996 Nov 3 Beach

Attachment 235997 Nov 4 At The Lake
    Last edited by jo.on.the.go; 11-04-2022 at 03:30 PM.
    "If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint, then by all means paint and the voice will be silenced" Van Gogh

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    AIFRATI…I do have a lot of art opportunity around here and I have met some really good artists and watercolorists. There are several art centers, societies, and a senior center that teach. No atc groups though, lol. And, yes, I do plan on getting involved again.

23. Thanks Aifrati thanked this post
    Likes Aifrati liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    LuAnn, your art guild event sounds like fun! I would love to see pictures, I hope you post some! And you have my permission to use my cards in your display.

Jo, I love abstract art, but as Iíve discussed with you, I find doing good abstract art really difficult, much more difficult than realism. But you totally nailed the abstract landscapes you did! Lovely job.

The lessons this month on Ruth Wilshawís ďGet GouachyĒ classes are abstract landscapes, I will have to try some. Although, I might call them more surreal than abstract. But itís possible I donít know the difference between the two.

25. Thanks jo.on.the.go thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jo, lovely abstract work! Like piggles I find abstract work really hard. I havenít done many and most of my tries have been unsuccessful. But I need to practice more and see what happens. One of these days but not this month. However, Iím looking forward to see what you create for your goal this month.

27. Thanks jo.on.the.go thanked this post
    Likes piggles liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jo, I love each of your abstracts! ( I just don’t have many cards to offer for trading right now so I have to keep telling myself NO when I see cards I want.) I very much enjoy the abstracts of yours I have in my collection.

Peggy, thank you for permission to display your ATCs. I tried one of the Ruth Wilshaw Halloween tutorials and traded it the very next day. There are so many tutorials out there. It’s good to hear recommendations.

29. Thanks jo.on.the.go thanked this post
    Likes piggles, wildholly liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Piggles love both of your dog portraits, I can understand that you can see that Shilo isn't quite what you'd like her to be but she looks pretty good to me so I am glad she didn't end up in the buckett.

Jo, like a few have already mentioned, I find abstracts difficult to do. I love looking at an abstract and finding what is there. Your cards really do look great.

LuAnn I don't think you would have any of my cards as I have only been in a few swaps recently, but as Perewinkle said I doubt that anyone would mind you using their art in the way you plan. I would love to see photos of the event posted here too.

Reading everyone's goals is inspiring and got me thinking about doing some online tutorials. I laughed out loud when I read that Aifrati and Piggles 'collect' them. And now I worry that you might have stirred something in me. I really do 'collect' art supplies and yarn for knitting!

I will check back in when I have sorted through my goals for this month.

31. Thanks jo.on.the.go thanked this post