pancake machine

The Dude abides
Staff member
Super Mod
Friend of AFA
Media
Albums
Swap Due Date: January 11th, 2023
Withdrawal deadline: none, but please communicate!
Number of Cards: 3 for 3
Number of Participants: unlimited
Media: Open

Chess! - open media - due Jan 11th.

1_20221106_215726_copy_798x1103.jpg 1_20221106_215706_copy_788x1137.jpg

Chess is an ancient strategy game of Indian origins. It is also creates a striking visual image with the board and pieces. This swap is a celebration of all things chess. You can illustrate famous chess pieces, either real or imagined, like the Lewis Chessmen featured above. Chess pieces in and of themselves are very interesting and have been created in many different ways. There are also a number of shows and pieces that feature Chess; The Queen's Gambit, Looking for Bobby Fischer, Chess the musical, etc. Other shows, such as Harry Potter, have moments where chess plays a role.

However, you can also interpret this somewhat broadly. Want to do a card of chess pie, go for it. That would be kind of featuring the game board. Feature a song by the Chessmen, okay, but try to pull in an element of the game when illustrating.

Swap Requirements ~
1. Each card must have either a chess piece or the board, and/or be a card that somehow uses the word chess in it's name.
2. All cards should be standard 3.5” x 2.5”
3. This swap is 3 for 3. An extra card for the host is lovely and I genuinely appreciate it, but it is completely optional. Sometimes I only have 3 ideas for a swap, so don't feel bad if you don't have time or can't come up with a 4th card.

Other stuff

Mailing Information ~
* Include username, real name, your state/country and the swap name on the back of all cards - and put username and swap name on all envelopes sent.
* US Participants – Please include a clearly written mailing label and stamp. This is what I prefer. If you send a SASE I'll use it, but not my first choice.
* International Participants - Please send a mailing label and I will cover postage. Again, I'll take an envelop, but not my first choice.
*Late cards past a day or so will be returned.

*When you receive your returns, please leave I-Trader for your swap host and rep points for the artists of the cards you receive. Also, in your rep points, naming which card you received is nice, since people like to know where their artworks end up.

Participants:
1. CynthiaSillitoe -complete!
2. Laffqueen -complete!
3. Dithespy
4. Leydab - complete!
5. Desert_Artist - complete!
6. Withdrew
7. Globug - complete!
8. DocJ29 - received!

Last edited:
Lurking, I have a vision of the Red Queen running in place and that’s it, so far.

Bumping. I have never seen Chess the musical, but would be curious to view a production. I didn't realize that Abba had a major hand in writing the music. Love the Murray Head version of One Night in Bangkok! you should give a listen if you don't know it, very 80s, but very interesting lyrics. (The video is also very 80s, I just watched it on Youtube and I'm not sure there are any Thais in the video)

Great cards, laffqueen. Quirky as always!

I love the Lewis Chessmen and I've been wanting to do something using them. Sign me up, please.

Laffqueen, your dueling knights are cracking me up!

Oh yeah Laffqueen! Always love your cards! Welcome to the swap!

Dithespy! So glad to have you! The Lewis Chessmen are really cool.

And here is my last card. Vasily Borgov from the Queen's Gambit. I know it has been out for a little bit now, but really enjoyed that show.

1_20221112_142721_copy_666x934.jpg

So many striking visuals with chess, come join!

Hi, Pancake Machine! I would like to play! I love your cards! LaffQueen, I love your cards too, and I appreciate the sense of humor! This will be fun!

Welcome to the lurkers couch Theresa - hope you can join, and if not pop in from time to time to enjoy the cards!

You should all check out the Max Ernst chess set - totally surreal!

Well, surrealists did like chess, you can also find a Man Ray designed chess set; basically each piece is reduced to it's geometric form.

Those are great fun! I have a medieval fantasy set from when I was a kid with dwarves and dragons, some really creative sets!

Back
Top Bottom