Light a Candle Swap, Open Media ~ Due Date: January 30, 2023

mrubyjean

colorful soul
Friend of AFA
Media
Albums
Swap Due Date – January 30, 2023
No sign up/withdrawal, but please communicate!
Number of Cards - 3 for 3
Number of Participants - Unlimited
Open Media

Welcome to the Light a Candle Swap!

Returns Mailed: January 31, 2023

We light candles to celebrate, to remember, in hope, for joy, in grief and sadness. Many of our holidays and rituals include candles, as symbols of light and warmth. This swap is for cards that contain a candle or candles in any theme or mood. Cards can be realistic or fantasy, reflective and serious or whimsical and playful. They can contain quotes or found poetry.
Any medium that inspires your creativity is welcome.
Mixed media cards are most welcome and can be thicker/textured but please add only light, flat embellishments.

Swap Requirements ~
* All cards should be standard 3.5” x 2.5”
* This swap is 3 for 3 only. An extra card for the host is welcome, but completely optional.
* All cards must be original.
* Make sure cards are well-glued and sealed.
* Show off your talents. Send work that shows thought and care.
* Please do not use stickers as the main focus for cards in this swap.
* Use only light embellishments and make sure your cards fit in plastic sleeves.

Mailing Information ~
* Include username, real name, your state/country and the swap name on the back of all cards - and put username and swap name on all envelopes sent.
* US Participants – Please include a clearly written SASE.
* International Participants - Please send a clearly-addressed envelope or mailing label and I will cover postage.

Please send a PM for my address when you are ready to mail your cards. Please post in this thread when you are sending your cards out, that way I can keep track of the cards when they were mailed. Any late cards will be returned.

When you receive your returns, please leave I-Trader for your swap host and rep points for the artists of the cards you receive. People like to know where their little artworks find homes!

Who would like to light a candle with me?

*An. M. Sudyka
*Robin
*Donnacr
*NancyL
*jo.on.the.go
*lazyshadows
*HHC
*Pamitha
*Seascape131
SunTrade
CMontalvo
Binx3535
StitchinWitch
*CynthiaSillitoe
*KESagers

Last edited:
Yes, I get it, Cynthia.
I expect more people will be able to participate at the beginning of January.

Random, but today is National Candle Day! I didn't even know there was such a thing. Here's a candle to share. I need to see if I can draw this thing for the swap. :)

1_candle_burning.jpg

Please add me.

My inlaws used to put candles on their christmas tree. Never brave enough to light them. I think maybe in Germany their families did light the candles on thier trees.

Welcome, NancyL!
Yes, I think lighting real candles on a tree was an older German tradition.
Sounds too dangerous to me as well.

When I was a kid we kept a lot of the old German traditions. We lit our trees with candles. We used live trees, with stiff branches that were a bit like bottle brushes, I forget what type. There were tiny metal brackets for the candles that clipped to the branches. The candles were small, bigger than a birthday candle, smaller than a lenten candle. They were clipped as close to the end of the branch as would bear the weight, for safety and aesthetics. They were never unattended. It was beautiful, and smelled wonderful. After the holiday season we planted the trees. I believe 5 or 6 of those trees are still living on my parent’s property. I recall that a couple didn’t survive, and a couple were eventually pulled up or cut down, as they had gotten too big for the space allotted. In later years we switched to cut trees and those fat colored bulbs that were prevalent in the 70s. I don’t know if we ran out of room to plant the trees, could no longer source the proper candles or trees, or just became more Americanized, probably a combination of things.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom