Greek and Aegean Civilizations before 300 AD/CE - Due March 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way back when I was at university studying for my Bachelor of Arts degree one of my subjects was Minoan/Mycenean history - fascinating!
I will have to see if I still have any reference books from that time, before I sign up. Hopefully back soon.

Here are mine. I have seen all of these while touring Greece and the Aegean. My favorite art is the Cycladic heads, though I have a real fondness for the Phi and Psi figures.

View attachment 237319 Dolphin Fresco, found in the Minoan Palace of Knossos, Crete. 15th or 16th century BCE

View attachment 237320 Female statue of the early Cycladic period, folded arms style. Marble. 2800 - 2500 BCE. Displayed in the Museum of Cycladic Art, Athens.

View attachment 237321 Mask of Agamemnon, a gold funeral mask discovered at the ancient Greek site of Mycenae. Created 1500 - 1500 BCE. Displayed in the Archeological Museum of Athens.

View attachment 237322 Psi and Phi Mycenean Figures. Frequently found in shrines, graves, and houses. 1450 - 1100 - 1150 BCE. Displayed in the Museum of Cycladic Art, Athens.

Last edited:
Jo got me thinking about the Cycladic figures; such cool little sculptures! The Museum of Cycladic Art has a nice collection online.

Interestingly, and I can definitely see it, Modigliani was influenced by Cycladic art in his portraiture.

I've just been playing with Cycladian themes. These cards were made just for fun and are not being submitted for the swap - I just wanted to show them here. If you are interested in trading for them, check out my gallery.

View attachment 237375 Octopus (inspired by the octopus jar posted by pancake machine)

View attachment 237376 Three Cycladians (a modern take on the old heads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom