Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: G-8 Second Photography and Artist Interpretation Circle Journal -Full

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    In an ideal world I'd have a beautiful macro of a moth. It's not impossible and the dead bug option is on the table. I have decided to jump on the more perishable subjects right now and have been able to get shots of two insects. I am still on the lookout as we haven't had the first hard frost yet. But, I have no memories of a warm Halloween here. One never knows when an opportunity for a perfect shot will come up--have to be at the ready. It is very kind of you guys to offer to share. I am going to hold onto that option, but still try to do it on my own. Thanks.

You probably have lots of cool bugs in Cyprus.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheeCoyote View Post
    You probably have lots of cool bugs in Cyprus.
    If you think the bugs are cool, you ought to see the lizards- lots of baby chameleons and geckos around at the moment!

Bugs wise we have inch-long ants, huge moths and pretty butterflies, snails (including edible ones! Not just the French eat them....), flies, mosquitoes (one bit me the other day behind my knee and the bite has come up the size of my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), spiders (including tarantulas and Wolf spiders.... ewwww- and the local ones jump towards you! also a local version of a funnelweb!), cockroaches (double eeewwww!), beetles, bees, wasps and hornets!- you name it!

Oh, and on the spider front, we have a newly discovered indigenous black widow spider on the island... my OH survived a bite from one of them whilst living in England!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    And dont get me started on the size of the centipedes and millipedes.......

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I love reptiles. Montana has so few. I keep snakes.

Rachel is offline Finally … sunshine in Ohio!!
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have ideas for all of your photos except for the four legged animal. I have pictures of dogs and cats (mine and others), but I guess I'm stuck on the interpretation part because I can't draw anything.

Does anyone have any ideas they would be willing to share?
    “Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder.” ~E.B. White

MissKoolAid Guest
    You don't have to draw. You can collage if that's your forte. It's YOUR interpretation, remember? Or if you draw/paint it, it can be abstract or just black and white or anything else that works for you.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could try tearing the animal shape out of paper and just add drawn lines for features and highlights... Like MissKoolAid also suggested- collage it Nothing stopping you collaging with copies of the original photo in different colours.... even fabric with embroidered lines maybe?

MissKoolAid Guest
    Oooh I like the idea of embroidery over the image...

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, just got around to looking at my pictures on my camera, and the dead bug pictures are a bust, they were really blurred, you could barely tell it was an insect. So off to look for bugs today I guess.

MissKoolAid Guest
    Long weekend coming up here in Canada so hopefully it will give me chance to go out and take some new photos.

I'm curious, is anyone making a page for their own journal?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did actually think about that- be silly not to make my own interpretation of my own photo (of our boat!).... but there's lots of work to be done first!

MissKoolAid Guest
    Ok... so we're a quiet bunch... I was wondering, am I the only one struggling with this project? I know I shouldn't "think too much" and just use photos I already have but for some reason, I can't get started!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey just go with the flow! Don't stress it too much- it's meant to be fun too! I just found a shop on the island that sells the 8x8 page protectors! (out of stock at the moment but when they get back in stock they can send them to me!)

Just sit there with your photos and doodle- I'm sure you will be fine MissKoolAid!

Don't forget I am away for the next five days or so- my parents arrive tomorrow lunchtime and leave on Monday- I will be able to sneak in quickly but please don't worry if you email me and I don't answer- I will catch up as soon as I can!

Ibus is offline Granny to four gorgeous children!
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MissKoolAid View Post
    Ok... so we're a quiet bunch... I was wondering, am I the only one struggling with this project? I know I shouldn't "think too much" and just use photos I already have but for some reason, I can't get started!
    No, I'm struggling too. I've taken and selected my photo, but now I'm struggling how to interpret it. Each time I come up with an idea, something mucks it up!

BTW is the piece we do 5 x 7 too?
    Elizabeth

MissKoolAid Guest
    Personally, I'd prefer if the interpretation was about the same size as the photo. It's better balanced in the book that way...

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I would say to do the interpretation the same size as the photo- as MissKoolAid says, it will look more balanced Doesn't matter if its a little larger (like if you're collaging and the edges kind of overflow) but it might look a bit silly if your part is a lot smaller than the photo.

Rachel is offline Finally … sunshine in Ohio!!
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm struggling too. Luckily, Corrie04 lives right down the street so I go see her when the stress overwhelms me.

I took the cutest picture of Corrie's cat for yours, MKA. She's in the middle of a yawn so you can see her tongue and teeth close up. I think I'm going to print my interpretation in black and white and then zetti her up.
    “Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder.” ~E.B. White

MissKoolAid Guest
    Ooo sounds great! I'm getting photos printed this weekend and hopefully they will get me out of my funk.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, oh. I've been checking the thread almost daily but have neglected to post. I have been taking pictures for more than one theme. Trying to take advantage of what's available when it is available, or when I am out. I shot church steeples today, and the background sky in the shots is beautiful! I found a boat picture too. In August I had gone to Florida to visit my brother. We were in Ft Lauderdale for three days and I shot the marina while tropical storm Fay was taking a break.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear from you all before I disappear- it's early am here (well, 7 is early for me!) we're going to the hotel where mum and dad are staying then off to Larnaca, staying somewhere this side of the line tonight and crossing over tomorrow to stay another night away over there. Lots of photos to be taken!