ATC 102: How to Join, Play and send in cards for a Swap

Jean

Artist in the Lucy Ricardo tradition
Media
AFA members host the best ATC Swaps on the web! You'll find lots of tempting swaps to join when you browse the Open Swaps in this forum. (Active swaps are already filled and closed to sign-ups; Archive houses completed swaps.)

When find a swap you wish to join, post your request to the thread. When you are signed up, begin to make your cards. It's always fun to view cards that have been posted to the swap thread, so post yours if you can.

When you are ready to mail, send a Conversation to the host for his or her address. Read the swap guidelines carefully to be sure you have followed then in constructing your cards. Be sure to enclose the correct postage, too. Don't forget: SASEs (self-addressed stamped envelopes) are ONLY good within your own country. So, if you are mailing to another country, do NOT send a stamped envelope!

Most players send an extra card on the swap theme or ATC goodies to the hostess as a thank you. Such gifts are to thank her for hosting and swapping out the cards; they are not a substitute for postage. Read the sticky note about packaging and mailing cards for mailing for more helpful information!

When you receive your returns from the swap, it is good swap etiquette to leave Feedback for the host and rep for the artists whose cards you receive!

To leave Feedback, go the the opening post of the swap thread. Click on Add Feedback and you will be taken to the host's Feedback page. Click to leave new Feedback. You are the player and will want to leave positive feedback.

To leave rep for artists, go to any post by that artist; you'll find nearly all of them in the swap thread. Any who are not there can be found in the Members List at the top of every page. To leave rep, click the Reputation button at the bottom of the member's post and add your comment.

That's all there is to it!

Joining swaps is a super way to build your ATC collection and get acquainted with new artists at the same time. However...it's important to pace yourself.

Because there are so many swaps offered at a time, it's easy to fall prey to Swap Lust and sign up for so many swaps that you fall behind.

The problem is that you will be unable to complete your obligations to traders and swap hosts. Incomplete 1-1 trades received negative iTrader, and over-committing yourself can impact your ability to get personal trades completed on time. Your AFA reputation is important, so don't sign up for too many swaps at once. Popular themes are often repeated, so take heart: if you miss a swap, that theme (or a similar one) will probably be offered again after it is completed.

Have fun swapping at AFA!

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be a really silly question. when they say you make for example 3 x3 does this mean you make 4 cards but only send 3????

thank you for all the advice.It is greatly appreciated.I mailed my first swap and relized that I need to write the swap title and host name in a book along with the important info.I had a hard time finding the swap after a few days .but figured it out.I am really enjoying it so far.I am not entering a swap until I have the last swap art work finished,great advice!!
thank you, Irva

Just follow the host's directions, but many hosts accept US dollars that they can either exchange in their country or use for swaps they participate in with US hosts.

You will get a mix. You might get one from someone who has received one of your cards, and you might not. When doing the swapping, some hosts trade "like for like", meaning they try to match up styles or effort or themes, etc. But some hosts just trade randomly.

This might sound like a dumb question, but am I right in assuming:
the host gets the itrader points and the artist gets the "you rock" ???
So, only a host can earn itrader points?

Yes. In a swap, the host earns one ITrader from each player. The players only exchange YouRocks with each other, not ITraders. [If a member is trying to accumulate ITraders, it is faster to do them via 1:1 trades, because that way each card you make and mail will result in an ITrader.]

Last edited:
I have a question - apologies if it's elsewhere, but I couldn't find it when I did a search. Do the plastic protective sleeves have to be completely clear, or is it acceptable if the back is colored? Is this something I should just ask the person I'm swapping with? I bought a pack where the backing is a solid blue by mistake. I plan to get some completely clear sleeves online, however I hate the idea of wasting perfectly good sleeves if I don't have to.

A lot of people send it ones with a colored back. I don't think it matters much either way, as long as the cards are protected.

Back
Top Bottom