ATC 102: How to Join, Play and send in cards for a Swap

Very useful information, thanks for posting this as I am a newbie here and want to know all the guidelines on this site.

Thank you for this! Just a quick question, what is a 3 for 3 swap?
And oftentimes you'll see in the instructions something similar to "a host card is appreciated but not required". That is because one of the benefits of volunteering as a host is that often the players will each send in an "extra card", that the host can keep as a thank-you for running the swap. So if you intend on sending along a host-thanks-card, you'll be sending in 4 cards [3 players + host] and getting back 3 cards [from 3 other players]. Of course, host-cards are NEVER required when joining in a swap. :)

I sometimes send in host cards, but not always. It is a personal choice, and I;m sure the host/hostess will appreciate it!

I sometimes send in host cards, but not always. It is a personal choice, and I;m sure the host/hostess will appreciate it!
When I host, I sometimes receive "extra" postage as a kindness instead of a host card, which helps cover the cost of return postage (some players being short on including enough stamps, or to help international players, etc) that sometimes comes with hosting. That works too! :)

Last edited:
So what is "withdrawn" in swaps?
Some hosts post a list of all the players who have jointed their swap. If someone on the list drops out of the swap, the host will write "withdrawn" next to their name. (Or, some hosts just delete the person's name from the list.)

In a 3:3 swap, you send in three cards and you get in return 3 cards. It does not matter how many people are participating in the swap. Each person will send in three.

Jump in and have fun. :)

Hi Foxglove, on the sleeves with the solid color backs, you could write on them with a white marker pen, or just do a set of Avery Stickers on your computer with your user name and date. Or just write on the white stickers with black ink and stick em on the backs of the sleeves.

numbering the cards is completely up to you. Some do and some don't. It's definitely not a requirement. as far as labels go, they're not required either. you can use them if you like or just write what information you want to share on there by hand, such as username, state/country, date, real name, etc (you definitely want your username if nothing else! there's nothing more disappointing than getting a card with no idea who made it lol)

As for hostess cards, typically players will make one on the same theme as the swap, but if you wanted to do something different than that theme, other options would be to look at the hostess's profile and see what themes they like.

hope this helps :)

View swap cards

I love seeing the cards people design for the swaps. Sometimes they are posted in the thread ...as an attachment or a thumbnail. Occasionally I happen upon them by chance as I look at the new posts in the gallery. If they are not, is
there an easy way to see all of the cards as people post them?

Question for swapping....the majority require US dollars or stamps to be sent. Where do we get them if we are not in the US?

Bramble, I found the easiest thing is to go to the bank and buy some $1 USD.

If you want to go the stamp route, that is a little trickier. There may be Amazon.com sellers that will ship to you (at a markup) or you could find a US player to make a deal to send you some.

I have a pack of blue backed sleeves too. Would also like the answer. Thanks.

John, I think you skipped over people answering that question on page 2 of the thread, but yes, the sleeves with the colored backs are fine if you can't find the clear ones. The only problem they might pose is that the host won't be able to see your name on the backs of the cards when swapping out, but you could put your name on the sleeve in white ink or with a label, or just trust the host to peek in if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom