HOW TO: Pack & Mail your Cards for Swaps

I don't think anyone swapping here would be upset if you pm'd them thanking them for their cards but that their envie didn't have enough postage on it. In fact, they'd probably appreciate you straight out telling them so they don't make the mistake again.

I have a suggestion about packing your ATCs for mailing. I have noticed that most people use scotch tape to tack the cards together for a swap. The problem with scotch tape is that it can be hard to remove without damaging the sleeves (and sometimes the cards!)
I try to use masking tape instead. It really isn't expensive and is much safer for the cards and sleeves. (and then you can re-use the sleeves!)

I have the same problem with scotch tape, I usually end up easing the cards out and tossing the sleeves because I can't get the tape off. Masking tape is a good suggestion.

I have a suggestion about packing your ATCs for mailing. I have noticed that most people use scotch tape to tack the cards together for a swap. The problem with scotch tape is that it can be hard to remove without damaging the sleeves (and sometimes the cards!)
I try to use masking tape instead. It really isn't expensive and is much safer for the cards and sleeves. (and then you can re-use the sleeves!)

I'm even cheaper than that, I like to use the edges from the sheets of self-adhesive stamps... Those little 1/2" by 1" strips are the perfect size! Not too sticky either.

When You tape your cards down.

I've received a few cards that were taped to cards so hardily that when I removed the tape, it tore the plastic sleeve. I've been using this stuff for years and it works great. Sticks to whatever you want it too, but peels off easily upon delivery to recipient. Thumbnails below.

Attachments

• scotch remov.jpg
    scotch remov.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 31
  • ScotchRemovable-sm.jpg
    ScotchRemovable-sm.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 27
Yes, good stuff. And if you don't have any, I find very small pieces of any tape are enough to hold cards in place and then remove easily.

I would imagine little bags are fine... as long as it is protective and transparent, that's what's important. But try a hobby store where they sell pokemon cards and stuff for kids (also models to paint and that kind of thing). That's where I found mine.

Seaside Rose - I get my sleeves for atcs at toys r u. They have them with all the sports cards. I think the brand is UltraPro or something... also, back in high school I used to play a trading card game and you could find these sometimes at comic book stores or sport card shops.

I make flat cards (drawing/painting/paper collage mostly so my cards are flat and that is the best way to save on postage imo. I send 4 cards for .61 and 6-8 for $.98. I don't worry about delivery confirmation myself.

There's a lot of packing methods mentioned in this thread, but I store my cards in a 9-pocket page and then fold it so it's flat. It fits perfectly in a business length envelope. That way I don't have to mess around with tape.

I just wanted to let you know that as a Newbie this was one of the most helpful threads I came across and even though I've done several personal swaps and several organized swaps now I still use it as a reference to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

Thanks for taking the time to post all this info.
Dena

Back
Top Bottom