HOW TO: Pack & Mail your Cards for Swaps

You can get 100 sleeves for .75 at BCW Supplies online.
Thanks for the lead. Unfortunately, shipping can be a make-it-or-break-it for me (I do not live in the continental U.S). Shipping for 3 packs of sleeves ($2.25 for products) is quoted as over $33.00 for shipping to me. That is because they won't use regular U.S. Postal Service, which has the cheapest price for small packages. :huh:

Last edited:
Thanks for the lead. Unfortunately, shipping can be a make-it-or-break-it for me (I do not live in the continental U.S). Shipping for 3 packs of sleeves ($2.25 for products) is quoted as over $33.00 for shipping to me. :huh:

Wow, that is alot for shipping! I hope you can find something in your country.

I pay $1.25 for 100 of them. PM me your address and I'll send you some.

holy cow. That's a lot. Well I hope you found someplace where you can get them for less than that.

I did find a place, thank you, on the mainland. At a comic book store. I bought MANY packs of them. :wub:

Wow, that is alot for shipping! I hope you can find something in your country.
Actually, Hawaii is in the United States, it is not a different county. Although, there are many people here who would like to see a renewal of sovereignty. Anyway, back on topic, the shipping can be crazy if the company won't ship a small package via the postal service. For large stuff, it is a toss up on which method of shipping is the most economical - post office vs UPS/FedEX.

Several people in this thread have advised using masking tape to secure the cards. I was just contacted by someone I sent cards to, and they said the masking tape damaged the sleeves, and I would be better off to use Scotch tape. Just wanted to point that out for those of you that read this thread and are considering masking tape. Apparently it is not such a great choice.

Camilla

Maybe what they use is the artist's tape, which is less tacky than regular masking tape?

Hint: When I tape to sleeves/paper, I try to remember to "fold over" one end of the tape before I place it onto the sleeve/paper. That way, when someone else tries to remove the tape, it has a tiny little "handle" to pull, so that it comes off easier.

Painters tape is the blue tape and it is great for securing the cards in sleeves inside an envelope. It doesn't damage the sleeve either. I've received cards in my swaps from people who use it and it comes off easily and clean!

Yes, painter's tape is another option.

I think artist's tape is even "less sticky" than painter's tape. I have a brand of artist's tape that is the same beige color as regular masking tape. But it pulls off of paper without damaging it, and it is a "must" supply to me for watercoloring.

By the way, it is great for wallpaper repairs, too. When wallpaper seams pop open, you can use glue and artist's tape (to hold the paper down while it dries). The tape will peel off once the glue is dry. [But test a small area first, to make sure this technique is compatible with your type of wallpaper.)

Painters tape is the blue tape and it is great for securing the cards in sleeves inside an envelope. It doesn't damage the sleeve either. I've received cards in my swaps from people who use it and it comes off easily and clean!

I had been avoiding painters' tape due to the cost, but after trying to work with scotch tape last night and make little tabs on the ends, I found myself very frustrated. (I have manual dexterity issues with my hands/fingers). I may have to break down and buy some. Gosh, is this turning out to be an expensive hobby! Getting started out is the hardest part, because there are so many basics that you need to have. After that, it is just replacing/expanding your supply collection as you go along. (Or I least I hope I reach that point soon!)

Thanks for a great discussion about this tape topic, everyone. I appreciate the input.

Camilla

I had been avoiding painters' tape due to the cost, but after trying to work with scotch tape last night and make little tabs on the ends, I found myself very frustrated. (I have manual dexterity issues with my hands/fingers). I may have to break down and buy some. Gosh, is this turning out to be an expensive hobby! Getting started out is the hardest part, because there are so many basics that you need to have. After that, it is just replacing/expanding your supply collection as you go along. (Or I least I hope I reach that point soon!)

Thanks for a great discussion about this tape topic, everyone. I appreciate the input.

Camilla

I know what you mean. Before I started doing ATCs I did jewelry making, scrapbooking, and general crafts. Let's just say that after 9 years of doing the other stuff, I won't run out of any ATC materials any time soon. I actually made and sold jewelry online. Not so much anymore, as I spend way too much time on my ATCs and Swaps!

another thing OY came up since this post and I use all the time now - is to take cardstock (or cereral box cardboard) and make a set of pockets

I make mine out of old work flolders or cardstock

they are about 8.5 inches wide - make it about 5-6 inches tall - fold over to make a long pocket - then you can staple that to make three atc sized pockets - gives you room for 3-4 bulky cards or 6-7 thin cards

it also give the host sometime to ship your cards back in - need to use the long envies for this and I just note for the host to please reuse for my returns.

Last edited:
as a host, i LOVE when people send in the sleeves as posted above. i know some hosts don't like them but I do.

also, i read for masking tape, if you stick it to your shirt or pants and then use it, the fibers from the cloth help to "dampen" the stickyness.

i'll stress how important it is to spread the cards in the envelope vs. letting them be either free OR stacked together. ALL late cards I receive in my swaps (some up to a month late) were not properly packaged and a) they came in late and b) the envelope and sometimes cards were destroyed by the postal service.

mailing info

FYI.....In case anyone reads this far, I have a suggestion.....at least it's one that I do. On the envelope I print the following...Hand Cancel Please.......

If using cards, put them in upside down so that the crease is at the top. I have had several envelopes come open in the post (ones to me, I always use tape), and although I have been really lucky and nothing has fallen out, it can't fall out if it is a, stuck down or b, underneath a neatly packed notecard.

Back
Top Bottom