Thread: Incredible Kokeshi Swap

BlueEclipse is offline ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ )... cheers
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Incredible Kokeshi Swap

Incredible Kokeshi Swap

Hello and welcome to the ongoing swap of Kokeshi Dolls. I am setting up this thread as the official “home” for those who would like to trade custom Kokeshi Dolls. This will be a lot of fun! Players can create traditional Kokeshi's or take their own creative spin and make something whimsical or fun and funky!!!

As this is an ongoing swap, it will be continually updated to add new members and their theme preferences. However, all trading will be set up as personal trades. Meaning… those who want to play along must contact other players on the list via PM if they are interested in trading Kokeshi’s with each other; I will not be arranging trades, you should consider each one a private swap.

There will be two types of Kokeshi’s players can trade - the 4” figure or the mini (premade) wooden toy figures.
    *note: players will have to construct the 4” figure using wooden pieces.

The Two Types of Figures:

4” Figure Kokeshi Construction:

All players must start with the same (or close likeness) of a Kokeshi doll blank. They are relatively simple to construct. You will need to purchase a wooden hen egg, 1 ” wooden doll head, and a 3/16” dowel rod. All of these materials should be readily available at your local craft/hobby store (as well as online).

***Note: It is important that you use the wooden doll head instead of a regular wooden bead for two reasons.
    1. the bottom of the head is flat, which makes it easier to attach to the body.
    2. The doll head is already pre-drilled.

Also, make sure the bottom of the hen egg is flat when you purchase it so the Kokeshi can stand up.

After you gather your materials, you CAREFULLY drill a 3/16” hole in the top center of the egg.

Once you drill the hole, cut a small piece of the 3/16” dowel rod and use it to attach the head to the body. You can either glue it together at this step or wait until your finished painting your figure. I personally think its easier to paint the two pieces separately and then attach them once you are finished.

I will be making a photo tutorial very soon, but in the meantime, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me and I will gladly assist you in how to construct the figure.

Mini Kokeshi’s:

These figures come premade and usually you can find them in sets of two or more. I have found them in my local craft/hobby store with all of the other wooden craft items. These figures are much smaller than the 4” figure, so shipping cost should be less when trading. For this swap, we will be using the 2 3/8" forms.

To Sign Up:
    Please post to this thread with your location, Kokeshi size preferences, and list the themes you’d like to collect for your Kokeshi’s. They can be painted, collaged, or whatever other creative way you can think of to customize!!!
    Sizes:
    F = full
    M = mini
    B = both

Remember that with this type of swap, you can sign up and then work on the trades when you please. There is no time commitment to the thread, however when you swap it will be up to you and whom your trading with to set your timeline.

*When trading with other players, please be sure that you clearly state what size figure you will be making/trading for.

Kokeshi History:
    1. Wikipedia

Custom Kokeshi Inspirations:
    1. flickr
    2. colourlovers.com

Have fun!!! And please feel free to contact me with any questions you might have.

Players:
    Username - Location - Size of Kokeshi - Themes
    BlueEclipse - MI, USA - B - artist's choice/anime/asian inspired/pop art/trees
    LilMissFirefly - UK - B - Butterflies/Night Skies/Delicate Flowers/Anything related to Alice in Wonderland/Surprise me!
    Peanut - MI, USA - B -
    Last edited by BlueEclipse; 04-15-2009 at 02:19 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    These are so great! I'm definitely going to be makin some, I already have some of the small figures. Don't put me on the list yet though! I have to complete other swap stuff first.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    yay! I look forward to having you play along when you get the time OY

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question for everyone who lives in or around London in the UK... I have someone who wants to play, but she isn't sure where to purchase the items... anyone know any local art or craft stores where she could find the wood pieces? I wish I could be of more help, but I only know of the three main craft stores here in the US.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to trade for both full size and mini kokeshi dolls

My preferred themes are Butterflies/Night Skies/Delicate Flowers/Anything related to Alice in Wonderland/Surprise me!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    added you to the thread LilMissFirefly

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    excellent =) looking forward to doing some

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't sign me up yet but I found some of the "mini" type wooden doll blanks in my craft box so of course I will have to eventually give this one a try when I get some free time!

Is anyone else interested in making the "Mini dolls"?? I'll keep checking back!
    ~You will never have a completely bad day if you show kindness at least once.~

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope that you stop back to join us TimeInMyHands. :-D

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Time, if I manage to find time myself to get in on this, it'll be with the mini size too!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it'd be a lot of fun to make a chess set with the mini ones... even though i'm horrible at chess. haha.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never played chess, though I do get quite into creating whole games or sets of things when the mood strikes me.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks icekat! I'll keep checking back on this thread and hopefully as time permits, will be able to get a few "mini's" made to swap!
    ~You will never have a completely bad day if you show kindness at least once.~

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone else wanna sign up for Kokeshi trading?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to check and see if I can find any of the little dolls when I'm out today, and check my stash o goodies at home later too. I'll give my trade info once I've got that sorted out.

tlsexton0913 is offline Do what you love and love what you do
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    These are adorable. I am going to try and make it to the chat tonight. I will sign up hopefully after that.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are a lot of fun to make!!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to make some too! Heading out to the craft store today!!!!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to make some Im going out too see if I can make one now. I have a lath.
    Ebay

Also, I have new addy!! So ask!

MadLou23 is offline Suspended User Suspended Member
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, if this is still going, I may be interested. I'm hunting out suppliers already