ATCsforALL Forums
Home Forum Card Gallery Swap Gallery FAQ About Us Register Now!

Old 01-30-2017, 03:46 PM
Reji Randhawa

My Mood:
ParadoxSketchbook is a name known to allParadoxSketchbook is a name known to allParadoxSketchbook is a name known to allParadoxSketchbook is a name known to allParadoxSketchbook is a name known to allParadoxSketchbook is a name known to allParadoxSketchbook is a name known to allParadoxSketchbook is a name known to allParadoxSketchbook is a name known to allParadoxSketchbook is a name known to all
iTrader Rating: 60/100%
Red face Art Challenges & Projects

For those of us that are interested in art challenges and art projects this is the thread for you!
Below are art projects and challenges that are happening around the net broken down by month.
Please let me know if you hear about any other challenges or projects that are not listed here (I'll update the list as we go)
Note: any project or challenge that has a thread here on AFA has a link in the title of the project/challenge.

YEAR LONG - 2017

The Sketchbook Project - You pay for a sketchbook that is 5"x7" with 80 pages plus you select a theme. The sketchbook is mailed out to you. You have till March of next year to submit your completed sketchbook (mailed back). For 2017 Sketchbooks the deadline to mail in is March 31st, but for the 2018 sketchbooks the themes are going to be open In late February or early March. The sketchbooks can be altered completely - the only rule is that the original barcode must stay on the book and should not be messed with and must stay on the outside. You get a digital version of your sketchbook put in the digital library plus your own sketchbook goes on a tour around the world.

New Year's Resolution - held by Line-In-Action.com this is a challenge that lasts all year long. To help you get better at gesture drawings, or capturing the moment quickly. They have multiple resolutions to choose from; the two that I find most interesting (and not too time consuming) are:
  • Start every day for a year with 5 minutes of 30 second gesture drawings. Post the results to your blog, your Facebook, or even on the Line-of-Action forums.
  • Do a 100 drawings challenge, where you draw 100 of the thing that gives you the most trouble Ė hands, mouths, hips, the male (or female) figure, foreshortened limbs, wombats. Whatever you most avoid drawing, draw more of it!
52 Weeks of APC/ATC - For one whole year Simplestella created an APC a week that summerized her entire week. The front was illustrated with a written prompt on the back. Some artists on other websites have taken the liberty of creating something else for all of the weeks. I personally am doing Post Cards to make a bigger album at the end.

JANUARY 2017

30 in 30 Days - Created by Leslie Saeta this challenge invites participants to create 30 anything for the whole month of January. You can do paintings, drawings, sculptures, anything! As long as you are being productive for the whole month.

FEBRUARY 2017

#29faces Challenge - Created by Ayala; we focus on creating 29 faces (by paint, pencil, pen, anything) for the month of February (and again in September).

MARCH 2017

N/A

APRIL 2017

Small Canvas Challenge - Created by me (and expanded by my art friends). The goal is to focus on any type, form, shape canvas that is no bigger than 5"x5"x5" (12.7cm X 12.7cm X 12.7cm). You can use any media, any theme, as long as you have 30 whole creations by the end of the month. The second goal at the end is to put everything together into something big. Assemble all of the small canvases into something bigger.

MAY 2017

N/A

JUNE 2017

NaNoMangO - is the Manga version of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) and happens again in November. We draw/create 30 manga pages in 30 days... this is probably the most challenging challenge (oops) out there.

NaNoDrawMo - is a combination of NaNoWriMo and NaNoMangO. In this challenge you create 50 drawings in 30 days. This challenge takes place again in November as well. It seems like the Flickr group that started the challenge was only able to do so till 2015... there are no posts for 2016. In November, 2017 I am personally going to focus on this in promoting to get more participants and helping participants along.

NaNoJouMo - just like the NaNoMango or NaNoWriMo or even NaNoDrawMo... in this challenge you focus on journaling. You focus on creating one journal page per day for the whole month. Hosted by Dawn Sokol, you can check out @DawnSokol on Instagram to see the prompts for the challenge. For all collage and mixed media lovers out there - this is the challenge for you!

JULY 2017

World Watercolor Day - Hosted by Doodlewash, a full 31 days of just watercolors! Please check them out as their website has a lot of interesting things for us artists to look at and get involved in.

Art Fight - takes place for the month of July. Two teams are picked, both teams make art for the other team members which are called attacks. The attacks earn points depending on effort put in. The team with the most points at the end wins.

AUGUST 2017

Mini Tea Bag Books - Make a mini album out of tea bags by first creating 30 total tea bags. For 30 days you paint on used tea bags (one tea bag a day) then on the 31st of August you put them all together to create a mini album.

SEPTEMBER 2017

#29faces Challenge - Created by Ayala; we focus on creating 29 faces (by paint, pencil, pen, anything) for the month of February and September.

30 in 30 Days Challenge - Created by Leslie Saeta this challenge invites participants to create 30 "anythings" for the whole month of September (just like we did in January). You can do paintings, drawings, sculptures, anything! As long as you are being productive for the whole month.
This is directly from the e-mail I recieved today (08/17/17):
Quote:
The 30 Paintings in 30 Days website has links with helpful suggestions and advice if you have any questions!

Donít forget that the goal of the challenge is to get us all to paint more. And the only way this works is if you have fun! Donít worry if you miss a day and donít freak out if you get behind. If you have time feel free to "paint aheadĒ. It is 100% ok to paint two paintings in one day! Just relax and have fun!
OCTOBER 2017

Inktober - Created by MR Jake Parker this challenge focuses on the media ink. So yes, this challenge is limited to only ink as media. The goal is to create ink illustrations for the whole month. Be it 31 illustrations, 15, or 4... as long as you are focusing on improving your inking skills. Mr. Parker also provides a daily prompt for those that need the inspiration.

Drawlloween - The blog owner publishes a calendar for the month of October that has a prompt for each day. Pretty much you just have to create that prompt using any media or canvas.

NOVEMBER 2017

NaNoMangO - is the Manga version of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) and happens every June and November. We draw/create 30 manga pages in 30 days... this is probably the most challenging challenge (oops) out there.

NaNoDrawMo - is a combination of NaNoWriMo and NaNoMangO. In this challenge you create 50 drawings in 30 days. This challenge takes place again in June and November. It seems like the Flickr group that started the challenge was only able to do so till 2015... there are no posts for 2016. In November, 2017 I am personally going to focus on this in promoting to get more participants and helping participants along.

NaNoJouMo - just like the NaNoMango or NaNoWriMo or even NaNoDrawMo... in this challenge you focus on journaling. You focus on creating one journal page per day for the whole month. Hosted by Dawn Sokol, you can check out @DawnSokol on Instagram to see the prompts for the challenge. For all collage and mixed media lovers out there - this is the challenge for you!

DECEMBER 2017

Nothing - just get ready for January's 30 in 30 Day's Challenge.
Animal Paper Dolls Swap | 🐼 Buddy Card Trading 🐼 | ✿ Buddy Cards-a-thon August 17-24 ✿ | DeviantART | Instagram | Chunky Page Wishlist *Getting medical treatment - my memory might hiccup so please poke me.

Last edited by ParadoxSketchbook; 08-17-2017 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added more challenges
Old 01-30-2017, 04:29 PM
Freedom within limits

My Mood:
KPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forums
iTrader Rating: 420/100%
Bookmarked! I think I'm a challenge junky.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:31 AM
ATC Novice

My Mood:
TrailRider has a brilliant futureTrailRider has a brilliant futureTrailRider has a brilliant futureTrailRider has a brilliant futureTrailRider has a brilliant futureTrailRider has a brilliant futureTrailRider has a brilliant futureTrailRider has a brilliant futureTrailRider has a brilliant futureTrailRider has a brilliant futureTrailRider has a brilliant future
iTrader Rating: 100/100%
Thanks so much for posting these! Haven't decided which one to try yet, but you've opened up a whole new world of art possibilities with the kind of accountability I need to keep moving.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:48 PM
My dining table is my studio! :)

My Mood:
plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)
iTrader Rating: 209/100%
I've done The Sketchbook Project. Just about a year ago. My book actually went on tour and I think a whole TWO people might have looked at it! But it was kind of fun. It didn't seem worth the $60 I paid to have it digitized, but maybe it would be to others.
Anyone want to see it? It might be my only chance for fame!
https://www.sketchbookproject.com/library/17484
Old 01-31-2017, 09:35 PM
Reji Randhawa

My Mood:
ParadoxSketchbook is a name known to allParadoxSketchbook is a name known to allParadoxSketchbook is a name known to allParadoxSketchbook is a name known to allParadoxSketchbook is a name known to allParadoxSketchbook is a name known to allParadoxSketchbook is a name known to allParadoxSketchbook is a name known to allParadoxSketchbook is a name known to allParadoxSketchbook is a name known to all
Originally Posted by plumhill2001 View Post
I've done The Sketchbook Project. Just about a year ago. My book actually went on tour and I think a whole TWO people might have looked at it! But it was kind of fun. It didn't seem worth the $60 I paid to have it digitized, but maybe it would be to others.
Anyone want to see it? It might be my only chance for fame!
https://www.sketchbookproject.com/library/17484
I actually signed up a few years ago when the digitizing option was new. I never finished my book because it was stolen from class ^^;
I think it's great that you were able to get your's sent out though. I like what you in there (I couldn't resist as the link was provided). It is a bit too expensive to do this project...I believe we all have found better alternatives now. I think some people do just buy and create their sketchbooks from local art stores then have them available to look at in local libraries.
The idea is still great though... Your art going on a tour. I wish there was a cheaper way to get that done...
Animal Paper Dolls Swap | 🐼 Buddy Card Trading 🐼 | ✿ Buddy Cards-a-thon August 17-24 ✿ | DeviantART | Instagram | Chunky Page Wishlist *Getting medical treatment - my memory might hiccup so please poke me.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:56 PM
My dining table is my studio! :)

My Mood:
plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)plumhill2001 is an ATC god(ess)
iTrader Rating: 209/100%
I agree. I wouldn't recommend it.
I think they play on people's vanity a little making it sound like lots of people will see your work. Actually, I'd rather just have the sketchbook on my shelf for my kids to look at later.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:29 PM
Reji Randhawa

My Mood:
Originally Posted by plumhill2001 View Post
I agree. I wouldn't recommend it.
I think they play on people's vanity a little making it sound like lots of people will see your work. Actually, I'd rather just have the sketchbook on my shelf for my kids to look at later.
I feel the same way... I would rather have a sketchbook (that did not cost so much) at home for others to enjoy. Or perhaps place in a gallery for a limited time but I would never part with it for life.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:38 PM
ATC Guru

TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!
iTrader Rating: 326/100%
Very cool.

I am familiar with some of these and will definitely chevk out the others.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:09 PM
arts and crafts supplies junkie

My Mood:
nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!
iTrader Rating: 513/100%
Bookmarking this thread
Old 05-31-2017, 05:45 PM
Freedom within limits

My Mood:
KPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forumsKPinAK clearly spends too much time on the forums
Paradox, are you starting NaNoDrawMo tomorrow?

Last edited by KPinAK; 06-02-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:07 AM
You can get anything you want at Alice's Resturant

Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!
iTrader Rating: 447/100%
Lurking, this might be just what I need to get be back into doing artwork. I assume NaNoDrawMo can be sketches in a book, or any size artwork? (Not just ATCs?)
Old 06-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Reji Randhawa

My Mood:
Originally Posted by Art101 View Post
Lurking, this might be just what I need to get be back into doing artwork. I assume NaNoDrawMo can be sketches in a book, or any size artwork? (Not just ATCs?)
You can actuallly do whatever you want for any of these because...freewill lol.
If you wanted to follow them exactly then click on the links in the names and it'll take you to another source that is in charge of putting that project/challenge together
Old 06-01-2017, 03:51 PM
Freedom within limits

My Mood:
Art101, I'll try it if you try it! :-)
Old 06-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Reji Randhawa

My Mood:
Is anyone going to try any of the 3 challenges listed for this month?

I'll be doing the NaNoDrawMo with a spin... doing figure study so figure sketches for the entire month to help me emprove in poses.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:35 PM
Freedom within limits

My Mood:
Paradox, do you have a new link either here or on Flickr?

Art101, whatever you draw or paint this month (or any month for that matter) I want to see!!
Old 06-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Reji Randhawa

My Mood:
Originally Posted by KPinAK View Post
Paradox, do you have a new link either here or on Flickr?

Art101, whatever you draw or paint this month (or any month for that matter) I want to see!!
I have had 0 luck in finding anything... the only thing I saw was for NaNoWriMo but none of the ones for this month
Please do share if anyone finds one and we can update this thread too.

I can link to the figure challenge and add it here if anyone is interested... there are prizes involved if you complete the challenge but it is on DeviantArt only so you would need an account there.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:24 PM
ATC Guru

TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!TrinaLD is beyond words!
iTrader Rating: 326/100%
I don't know if I can do figure sketches for the entire month, but I'm signed up for a Figure Drawing Marathon on the 17th! From 10 - 4:30 with 2 or 3 live models. It's a fabulous time. I have to decide on only one medium to use. If I have too many choices, I get really lost.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:36 AM
You can get anything you want at Alice's Resturant

Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!Art101 is beyond words!
iTrader Rating: 447/100%
Originally Posted by KPinAK View Post
Gosh, where did the first, second, third, and forth days of the month go already?? I might need to break out a "doodle book" for myself . KP, you've seen they type of doodling that I do in meetings, remember the text pic?
Old 06-05-2017, 11:59 AM
I've got cattitude!

My Mood:
tealtornado has a brilliant futuretealtornado has a brilliant futuretealtornado has a brilliant futuretealtornado has a brilliant futuretealtornado has a brilliant futuretealtornado has a brilliant futuretealtornado has a brilliant futuretealtornado has a brilliant futuretealtornado has a brilliant futuretealtornado has a brilliant futuretealtornado has a brilliant future
iTrader Rating: 108/100%
Wow it is the fifth of June already! I have no idea how to link things, but daisyyellowart.com does a challenge for June and July, the index card a day challenge (ICAD 2017). You do art on a index card for 60 days, prompts optional. I myself follow it for the prompts- extra ideas when I am in a creative slump.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:07 PM
I work in whatever medium likes me at the moment. Chagall

Loladog is a name known to allLoladog is a name known to allLoladog is a name known to allLoladog is a name known to allLoladog is a name known to allLoladog is a name known to allLoladog is a name known to allLoladog is a name known to allLoladog is a name known to allLoladog is a name known to all
iTrader Rating: 83/100%
I just saw this link
Great ideas

Tags
art challenge, art discussion, art project, challenges, projects