ATCsforALL Forums
Home Forum Card Gallery Swap Gallery FAQ About Us Register Now!

Old 06-08-2017, 01:24 PM
creating daily soothes the soul

My Mood:
BluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them all
iTrader Rating: 218/100%
Hey Ann---I bet you feel the same way most people do about abstract art. BUT....maybe once you study it, and some of it's artists a bit more, AND try this style yourself you may love it. I like this style, (of which there are actually so many) because it is about expressing an emotion of a memory or the subject of the painting. My favs are Pollock, Calder, and Jasper Johns. Every time i go to the Massachusetts Museum of Art I make sure to see their Pollock.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:24 PM

My Mood:
BluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them allBluSkyHare is the envy of them all
Hi sarat, please sign me up.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:26 PM
Still dreaming...

My Mood:
sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)
iTrader Rating: 751/100%
You are in!

Originally Posted by BluSkyHare View Post
Hi sarat, please sign me up.
So glad you decided to jump in.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:30 PM
Crazy dog lady

Cindylou is the envy of them allCindylou is the envy of them allCindylou is the envy of them allCindylou is the envy of them allCindylou is the envy of them allCindylou is the envy of them allCindylou is the envy of them allCindylou is the envy of them allCindylou is the envy of them allCindylou is the envy of them allCindylou is the envy of them all
iTrader Rating: 269/100%
Im in! Can you PM me your address? Mine are done and I will post a pic as soon as I can figure out how to from my new tablet.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:53 PM
going, going, always going: Rapa Nui (Easter Island) next

My Mood:
jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!
iTrader Rating: 1338/100%
I think I want to join...but I am confused about the difference between abstract expressionism and abstract impressionism. What are you looking for, or does it really make a difference? I found deKooning and Pollack on lists of both abstract expressionists and abstract impressionists. Does it really matter what style we use, or can I just make an abstract painting showing emotions and not worry about the terminology? Or should I just make some abstracts "in the style of" deKooning and Pollack?
Old 06-15-2017, 06:31 PM
Still dreaming...

My Mood:
sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)sarat is an ATC god(ess)
You are in!

Originally Posted by Cindylou View Post
Im in! Can you PM me your address? Mine are done and I will post a pic as soon as I can figure out how to from my new tablet.
Welcome!!! I sent you my address. Wow! you are fast.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:03 PM
Still dreaming...

My Mood:
Guidelines

Originally Posted by jo.on.the.go View Post
I think I want to join...but I am confused about the difference between abstract expressionism and abstract impressionism. What are you looking for, or does it really make a difference? I found deKooning and Pollack on lists of both abstract expressionists and abstract impressionists. Does it really matter what style we use, or can I just make an abstract painting showing emotions and not worry about the terminology? Or should I just make some abstracts "in the style of" deKooning and Pollack?
Yikes--You always ask good questions and I am not sure I am prepared to answer specifically. Generally I like to give a general idea and as the swap says--this is inspired art with a theme. You are amazing artist so I say go with your inspiration.

I did find this that might be helpful:

Abstract impressionism (closely related to lyrical abstraction) is a type of abstract painting (not to be confused with abstract expressionism) where small brushstrokes or application with a palette knife build and structure larger surface areas. The artist's emotion and focus on inner energy, and sometimes contemplation, create expressive, lyrical and thoughtful qualities in the paintings. The brushstrokes are similar to those of impressionists such as Monet and post-impressionists such as van Gogh and Seurat, only tending toward abstraction. While in the action painting style of abstract expressionism brushstrokes were often large and bold and paint was applied in a rapid outpouring of emotion and energy, the Abstract Impressionist's short and intense brushstrokes or non-traditional application of paints and textures is often done slowly and with purpose
Old 06-15-2017, 09:04 PM
going, going, always going: Rapa Nui (Easter Island) next

My Mood:
jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!jo.on.the.go should simply stop getting rep at this point!
iTrader Rating: 1338/100%
Thanks for your reply about abstract art. Please sign me up. I was painting today and what I created should be fine. I just need to wait for the paint to thoroughly dry before I can scan and post to the thread.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:18 PM
Still dreaming...

My Mood:
I am doing my happy dance

Originally Posted by jo.on.the.go View Post
Thanks for your reply about abstract art. Please sign me up. I was painting today and what I created should be fine. I just need to wait for the paint to thoroughly dry before I can scan and post to the thread.
I am sure your art will be awesome.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:17 AM
Always inspired by colour.

My Mood:
ann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them all
iTrader Rating: 216/100%
I have played a LOT with this. I might post pics some time. It's very difficult on a small scale to achieve the freedom. Some I have worked larger then cut up.

Eye candy would be great so I can tell if I'm on the right track.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:31 AM

My Mood:
I've found the same problem when I've created for sarat's other Inspired By swaps. Sometimes I create on a larger sheet of card stock and then choose the best spot to cut to ATC size.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:47 PM
Still dreaming...

My Mood:
Interesting

Originally Posted by BluSkyHare View Post
I've found the same problem when I've created for sarat's other Inspired By swaps. Sometimes I create on a larger sheet of card stock and then choose the best spot to cut to ATC size.
And to ann-stebbing too:

Such an interesting technique. I know when I have received art cards and I can see the smaller pieces and if I put them together I can see a bigger one too. I love it.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:24 AM

My Mood:
ann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them all
Well here are some pictures of the ones I chose, after much deliberation. The red one is interesting. I've no idea why but it's almost 3D and looks as if there is a transparent layer in there somewhere,which there isn't. Something to do with the order of the colours perhaps?

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gall...x.php?n=504788
Old 06-21-2017, 04:36 AM

My Mood:
Oh, I see I've not signed up. Sign me up I hope my cards are OK. I will get them off today.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Still dreaming...

My Mood:
Awesome!

Originally Posted by ann_stebbing View Post
Well here are some pictures of the ones I chose, after much deliberation. The red one is interesting. I've no idea why but it's almost 3D and looks as if there is a transparent layer in there somewhere,which there isn't. Something to do with the order of the colours perhaps?

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gall...x.php?n=504788
They are all so interesting and different. Love them. And I will sign you up. SO glad you jumped in.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:15 PM
Still dreaming...

My Mood:
Sillylily41: Your art has arrived!! Interesting pieces.
Love the colors and shiny texture.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:23 PM

My Mood:
For all my talk about loving this theme, I've been neglecting working on my cards for it! I've searched my feelings and I think I'm feeling intimidated too.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:28 PM
Still dreaming...

My Mood:
Yikes! I know that feeling too. Hope your muse will let you play with the theme and have fun.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:34 PM
The Dude abides

pancake machine is a name known to allpancake machine is a name known to allpancake machine is a name known to allpancake machine is a name known to allpancake machine is a name known to allpancake machine is a name known to allpancake machine is a name known to allpancake machine is a name known to allpancake machine is a name known to allpancake machine is a name known to all
iTrader Rating: 270/100%
No worries BluSkyHare - I'm sure you'll have some great cards. It has been helpful to me being married to an art historian. She helps explain the difference between abstract impressionism vs post painterly abstraction vs other forms of abstraction.

My take is that Sarat wants thoughtful abstraction, and that some of these hard labels aren't quite as important (yes?) It is fascinating how dominant abstraction became after World War II.
it doesn't exist.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:37 PM

My Mood:
Of course, you're right pancake machine. I just love this genre and especially Jackson Pollack so much. I will just have to get a glass of wine, choose some colors and let go.