ATCsforALL Forums
Home Forum Card Gallery Swap Gallery FAQ About Us Register Now!

Old 10-01-2017, 05:07 PM
I would have Harold Lloyd's babies if I could.

jazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forums
iTrader Rating: 320/100%
Arrow ART Diego! 2018 April 12-17 San Diego, CA

ART Diego! 2018
April 12-17

It was so much fun the first time,
We're doing it again...

We'll have a traditional Thursday start,
but this time there's a twist ~
the ART Room @ Homewood Suites
has been booked for FRI-SAT-SUN-MON!
Come for all four days OR
make your own three-day getaway
on either side of the weekend

Registration is $125 which pays for the ART room & incidentals
(like things TSA won't let you bring on the plane)
and snackage

We have a small block of rooms reserved
@ HOMEWOOD SUITES, LIBERTY STATION
Rates range from $249 - $179/night
depending on what size suite you get
with breakfast included every day,
dinner included if you stay Thursday or Monday nights.
The price per suite goes down if you share with others
and/or use Hilton Honors Reward Points
but there are other choices in the neighborhood to suit all budgets.
[PM me for Registration Info]

If you plan to stay at Homewood Suites, sign up for Hilton Honors Reward Points. This is a good overview of how it works. I lost my points to inactivity, but made a stink and got them back. I can't guarantee this will work for everyone, but something you need to be aware of if you were planning to use accrued points to pay for all or part of your suite during ART Diego! It's my understanding that you can mix money and points to pay for the suites and that you can keep your account active by "transferring" points. So, you should be able to transfer points to a roomie to help pay for the room, and any friends or loved ones should be able to "transfer" their points to you if they don't think they'll use them within a year. Something worth looking into if you know anyone else in this program.

My access to a computer is limited, so the current thread for ART Diego! will probably not be as tricked out as last time, but I'm looking into ways make it work. I will be able to update and answer questions via my phone, but that has limits to the fancy things I can do to the thread. In the meantime,
If you'd like to get an idea what we did last time check out this thread ART Diego! 2016

Registered ARTISTAS

jazzie aka Jackie
Laffqueen aka Esta
RebeccaG aka Becky
pschafe1 aka Pat
pat's sis aka Mary Ann

ART Diego! 2018 see Live Trading under Forums tab

Last edited by jazzie; 10-13-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:08 PM

jazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forumsjazzie clearly spends too much time on the forums
For those that don't know, ART Diego! is modeled after ARTzona when Trina(HotMamaRama) decided after four years of hosting, to take a break. ARTzona tweaked a few things each year and I'm trying to do the same.

One thing that seemed to work out well for
most attendees, is a Thursday start. Most folks come in
on Thursday - do a little sightseeing if they arrive during the day,
check-in to the hotel, freshen up or take a catnap, and then join up
with the other attendees for a meet and greet.

Our hotel [Homewood Suites @ Liberty Station] has a reception on Thursday nights as part of your room price. It's beer & wine and light fare/small plates type of a thing and the menu changes weekly. We won't know what we're in for until we get closer to the event. If it's really light fare on our Thursday, we will back it up with something hearty.

We also won't know where we're
hanging out until closer to the event date,
it could be in The Lodge where meals are served,
or out on the patio if the weather is nice,
or in the Art Room as they allowed us last time
(because the hotel was completely booked during our weekend).

Whatever configuration the happy hour/dinner takes on, what usually happens is catching up with everyone and getting to know the newcomers. Many people make things for everyone (think Valentines when you were in grade school) or some make special items for special people, and it's a great time to pass those things out. Also, since we don't officially have the art room until Friday and can't make our messes until then, it's a great time to bring the items you have ready for trading - with a captive audience you won't be interupting anyone while painting or gluing anything together. It doesn't mean you can't trade during the weekend - anytime is open season, it's just a great opportunity and kind of an icebreaker. If you're on the shy side, it's a good time to let your art do the talking or you. (If you can't make it in until Friday or Saturday, no worries - we'll hold on to your goodies until you get here.) **

The other days will take shape
as we get closer, but generally breakfast -
art, art, art - go someplace you want to see in SD
(bring your sketchbook) and grab some grub
(SD has no shortage of great eateries all over the place
- you're bound to find one next to a POI*).
Come back to the art room - art, art, art - go to dinner
- come back to art, art, art. Laugh, art some more, crash.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

If you're leaving on Monday/Monday night you can store your gear in the art room after checking out and do whatever - I'm pretty sure it will be a smaller crowd on Monday, but we'll see how it goes -this part is t h e experiment. I don't know if anyone's done Monday art room before, but my thought was that some people's schedule might work out better if they normally have Mondays off or if they are enjoying retirement, don't need to be anywhere and want to see some more of America's Finest City.

Hope that helps answer some questions :~]

*POI = Point of Interest

**GIFTING and TRADING ART Bring things to trade, or not. A list of trading possibilities is below to inspire you before you get here. Of course, you can make and trade things while you’re here – many challenge themselves to make art from items found during the weekend. Or just hang out and laugh. It’s all good!

I had an inquiry about what we'd be trading, and answered anything paper is good for travelling, anything small that is not paper based is good too.

ATC’s/APCs ~ CHUNKIES [4x4’s] ~ HEARTS [for your Jar of Hearts] ~ GOTHIC ARCHES [4x6] ~ ART DOLLS
Postcards ~ Gothic Arches ~ CHARMS ~ MOOS ~ Moo HOUSES ~ WONKY HOUSES ~ FUNKY FISH/maliciousfish ~ POSTCARDS ~ HANDS ~ ROLOS ~ TAGS

Last edited by jazzie; 10-13-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:08 PM

LINKS <><><><><>

AFA Tutorials
Linda’s Travel Journal Thread Travel Sketching
Dawn’s Travel Journal Thread My Travel Sketching Process
Tracy’s Linoleum Block Thread tandy's-block-printing-tutorial
Jackie’s Linoleum Block Thread The Way I Carve & Print

Hotel-Airport-Public Transportation
Hotel ART Room Homewood Suites <> bicycles
SAN Lindberg Field San Diego International Airport
SAN Amtrak Santa Fe Depot
Trolley & Bus MTS San Diego Metropolitan Transit Service
Coaster NCTD North County Transit District

Surroundings (1-15 minute walk/5 minute drive from hotel)
Courtyard by Marriott Bistro Bar
Harbor Square <> Starbucks <> Los Primos Mexican Food <> Issara Thai Cuisine <> Harbor Greek Café <> Sushiya <> Smash Burger <> Oggi’s
Liberty Station history <> Con Pane Bakery <> Stone Brewery <> Fig Tree Cafe <> Soda & Swine <> Trader Joe's <> Liberty Public Market
Point Loma <> Mitch's Seafood <> Pizza Nova <> Jimmy's <> Better Buzz <>

Sightseeing
Balboa Park App <> San Diego Zoo App <> SDMA App
Little Italy App <> Old Town <> Coronado <> Cabrillo National Monument

Thank you Carole!

Last edited by jazzie; 10-13-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:55 PM
ATC Guru

TrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forums
iTrader Rating: 339/100%
Wow! This looks fabulous. Is it possible to get there by train? I'm not terribly fond of flying and dealing with TSA and all the other stuff and don't know if I would be able to do that drive, but the train I can do.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:56 PM

Totally Trina!
AMTRAK runs to the Old Town Station or Santa Fe Depot [if you are a train buff and want to see the station].

Old Town is closer to the hotel. I think the line is the Sunset Limited or the Pacific Surfliner. If you go to the 2016 page I linked on the first post, I think there is an Amtrak info link.

Last edited by jazzie; 10-03-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:26 PM
ATC Guru

TrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forumsTrinaLD clearly spends too much time on the forums
YES!!! Thanks! Let me see what I can work out for this. And thanks for the additional information. I went on an art retreat for a month in July (to Fresno) and took the train there and back. It was fabulous! And yes, I'm a train buff. And I've not been to Old Town San Diego since a really long time ago when I had some wearable art in a fashion show.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:02 AM
Mail Art Addict

My Mood:
kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!
iTrader Rating: 572/100%
I hope that I can make it! I won't know until we are closer to that date
A Mynah Production blog
Old 10-04-2017, 09:28 AM

Hope you can both make it!

Old 10-04-2017, 10:23 AM
ATC Guru

Jazzie, one quick question. When do we pay the registration fee?
Old 10-04-2017, 11:24 AM

Whenever you want to commit - spacewise we have room for about 25 people, but may be able to wiggle that depending on the days people choose to come out of the four. The hotel requires we pay before the event, and the cut off date for our block of rooms is 3/08/18.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:05 AM
Mail Art Addict

My Mood:
kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!kwailin777 should simply stop getting rep at this point!
How many attended last time?
A Mynah Production blog
Old 10-05-2017, 08:24 AM

We were set with 23 and two were sidelined at the last minute. I am going to do the room arrangement a little differently and think there will be a bit more space.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:51 AM
Mail Art Addict

My Mood:
Gah, I really really want to go...Hope I can actually make it this time. The hubster is on board too...he wants to see old friends in your neck of the woods. It's just too far in advance to know for sure yet.
A Mynah Production blog
Old 10-05-2017, 09:22 AM

My crossed fingers will turn blue for you MellieMel.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:42 PM

ART Diego! is six months away...

Time to get busy making travel plans
and busy making art to trade.

ATC’s/APCs ~
CHUNKIES [4x4’s] ~
HEARTS [for your Jar of Hearts] ~
GOTHIC ARCHES [4x6] ~
ART DOLLS ~
CHARMS ~
MOOS ~ Moo HOUSES ~
WONKY HOUSES ~
FUNKY FISH/maliciousfish ~
POSTCARDS ~
HANDS ~
ROLOS ~
TAGS ~

Last edited by jazzie; 10-12-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Mail Art Addict

My Mood:
Good to know!
A Mynah Production blog
Old 10-20-2017, 01:25 AM
arts and crafts supplies junkie

My Mood:
nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!
iTrader Rating: 516/100%
It would so cool if I could go to this. I totally would love to sight see in San Diego and art with you all.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:56 AM

San Diego would love to see you too!

Old 10-20-2017, 09:58 PM

My Mood:
nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!nightowl_too should simply stop getting rep at this point!
I imagine you all as looking like your AFA avatars/profile pics. It would be strange to meet in person - lol. Yes jazzie, I picture you as looking like Harold Lloyd - lol!
Old 10-20-2017, 10:06 PM

My Mood:
Originally Posted by TrinaLD View Post
Wow! This looks fabulous. Is it possible to get there by train? I'm not terribly fond of flying and dealing with TSA and all the other stuff and don't know if I would be able to do that drive, but the train I can do.
I'm not fond of flying (or airports), or driving distances either. For me by train it would take 3 days one way (yes I checked, and watched a video of it too ) But part of me thinks it would be kind of cool to sit there and watch America wiz by in a big picture window. No traffic, no lines, free wifi, no stopping (well just a couple of stops), just see the country and get served food at meal time. Hmmm....am I crazy? Perhaps.

(Kevin would probably look at me like I'm nuts and say we should fly)

Last edited by nightowl_too; 10-20-2017 at 10:08 PM.