Fruits&Flowers, plus Scandalous Secrets of Herbs&Vegetables, Due: June 9, 2017

I heard this particular type of spaghetti bush also has healing properties: it heals hunger pains almost instantly :D

I thought about doing a series of cards revealing the 'secret' names of plants. For instance the 'eye of newt' referred to in Shakespear's Macbeth, actually refers to mustard seed. If you see reference to a 'bats wing' it actually means holly. Do you think that would be OK? I assume you want us to explain our pictures in some way ie on the back, or an overlay, otherwise there will be much scratching of heads ;).

I have heard that too, ann, I heard Shakespeare has a coded reference to a pansie in one of his plays, too.

I thought about doing a series of cards revealing the 'secret' names of plants. For instance the 'eye of newt' referred to in Shakespear's Macbeth, actually refers to mustard seed. If you see reference to a 'bats wing' it actually means holly. Do you think that would be OK? I assume you want us to explain our pictures in some way ie on the back, or an overlay, otherwise there will be much scratching of heads ;).

What an AWESOME idea, ann_stebbing!!!!!:spinny::jiggy:
Yes, do a series of cards with the "secret" names of Plants.
Not only do I think that would be OK, I think that would be FABULOUS:yes:
Yes, I would like to have you explain your ATCs in some way, on the back, or on an attached note, would be wonderful.......

Last edited:
I have heard that too, ann, I heard Shakespeare has a coded reference to a pansie in one of his plays, too.

gemininorn
I had heard that Pansy means a sissy, but I think that is the "modern day" vernacular.
What have you heard regards Shakespeare's meaning?

gemininorn
I had heard that Pansy means a sissy, but I think that is the "modern day" vernacular.
What have you heard regards Shakespeare's meaning?

Yes, I know the modern second meaning as well, I did not refer to that one though. Unfortunately my only reference for this secret code name for the Pansy is a QI episode I watched some time ago on youtube and they were discussing it there. QI is short for a BBC tv series called Quite Interesting withSteven Fry as the host of a panel quiz show where you get points deducted for boring, obvious or wrong answers. All the guests are comediens. As far as I could tell though the facts appear to be genuine...

Unfortunately I could not find which episode refers to the flower codes, but in case you want to check out QI regardless, here is one of my favourite episodes. Professor Brian Cox (a genuine professor) vs Ross Noble, one of britains best stand up comediens. Also vs is not quite the correct description either, I hope you can enjoy the video, it is about 45 minutes long so have a cuppa tea while you watch ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dYzgqF2e8U0

Yes, I know the modern second meaning as well, I did not refer to that one though. Unfortunately my only reference for this secret code name for the Pansy is a QI episode I watched some time ago on youtube and they were discussing it there. QI is short for a BBC tv series called Quite Interesting withSteven Fry as the host of a panel quiz show where you get points deducted for boring, obvious or wrong answers. All the guests are comediens. As far as I could tell though the facts appear to be genuine...

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH
I will watch that (you tube) link as soon as I make a pot o coffee.

On TV here, Steven Fry is brother to Sherlock Holmes, in the show of that name, and although he has only been in a couple of episodes, he is an absolute HOOT!
I don't remember Steven Fry in anything else, but two weeks ago he showed up as host of a new series on PBS (Our Public Broadcasting Station), and he went across Mexico last week, and Belize to Guatemala this week. He tries everything, eats everything, and comments on everything. He is quite funny and enjoyable, so I am looking forward to watching the QI Show you told me he hosts.
Thanks again for the link.

Last edited:
Lurkers welcome, TrinaLD.
I hope you feel better, and can officially join us.
Allergies are no fun, and I wish you healing and fast recovery.

Apparently more people are suffering with allergies this year than in the past, due to the early spring, and warm days. I don't know if that is true in California, but it is true here, in the Midwest.

Local honey is one of the best defenses against allergies, but it has to be local to work against the local pollen that is affecting you. It cannot be just any honey from the store, if it is not local. You could check for local beekeepers close to you.

Last edited:
That makes sense since the local bees would be harvesting the pollen/nectar (not sure right now which) from the local flowers so it makes sense they can metabolize some antibosies into it.

Other than that I would always recommend the apple and parsley method: apple in the mouth (something yummy to eat) and a bushel of parsley in the ears (keeps me from hearing the bull**** going on around me) leaves me feeling nicely relaxed and happy ;)

I do feel for people with allergies though, my father has developed an allergy to the pollen from willows, and he is coming for a visit and all the willows have those fluffy little "kittens" growing on them, I don't think he is going to have a good time.

That makes sense since the local bees would be harvesting the pollen/nectar (not sure right now which) from the local flowers so it makes sense they can metabolize some antibosies into it.

Other than that I would always recommend the apple and parsley method: apple in the mouth (something yummy to eat) and a bushel of parsley in the ears (keeps me from hearing the bull**** going on around me) leaves me feeling nicely relaxed and happy ;)

LOVE your apple and parsley method....:yes::laugh:

Your cards are all beautiful Vicky, I love how a lot of them have moving bits. I will get a few trades "out of the way" and then I can get to work on cards for you ;)

That would be wonderful, Gemininorn!
I have several of your cards, and they are all beautiful, so I am excited to see what you will create.

Very cute, Boots.
I like the doggie "paw print" blossoms on the Dogwood, and I see you also added a white Dogwood Flower.
I seem to remember that the flowering Dogwood is the state tree of Virginia.
I cannot wait to meet this plant IRL.

I am looking forward to seeing what you create next.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom