Due Date ~ April 1st, 2012
Sign-up Date ~ March 15th
Withdraw Date ~ March 25th
Number of Cards ~ 3:3
Number of Participants ~ 12 (+me)
Medium ~ Hand drawn/Hand Painted only
What is Speculative Zoology?
It is trying to predict what animals will exist on the Earth in the future - whether it be 20 million years, 50 million years or 200 million years.
For this swap you will choose one current, extant animal
(mouse, horse, pigeon, cockroach etc) and design three cards based on what it will look like in the future. You can choose whether to follow divergent evolution and create your cards based on adaptations to particular habitats/behaviour, or you can choose three different time periods and draw its descendents in say 20m, 50m and 200m years.
Whilst its evolution will be determined by the environment factors, I don't want you to feel too bogged down by the science - whether you decide the future world will be a waterworld or a desert, an immense forest or tundra, that's entirely up to you. don't stress too much about climate change and global warming. Well, at least not when creating these cards.
Here is a forum dedicated to Speculative Zoology: http://www.sivatherium.narod.ru/englver.htm
Here is a deviantart group: http://neocene-project.deviantart.com/
Or if you prefer, there are dvds:
The future is wild
And a Book
After Man : A zoology of the Future
Here's my rabbit evolutions - http://lemurkat.blogspot.com/2011/10...volutions.html
ALL YOUR CREATURES MUST BE ORIGINAL. It is okay to gain inspiration from these sources, but please do not copy anything directly.
The back of the card should contain information including the name of the extant animal you have chosen as your descendent and relevant facts like how many years After Man, habitat and diet. Just a short passage to describe why your critter looks the way it does.
Please let me know what animal you intend to use as your ancestral species when you join up.
Now for the nitty gritty:
- Please sign up by posting on this thread. This allows me to better keep a track of who is doing what and also allows others to leave REP points later.
- I WILL NOT send you my address until you ask for it - this way I can monitor who has posted and who has not and don't get any surprises!
- I live in New Zealand. It can take anything up to two weeks - or longer, for mail to get to me (average is 7-10 days). Therefore, if your cards are not in the post by February 10th, they may not make it on time! I will wait a week for any cards in the mail prior to the 25th that have not yet arrived, but DO NOT post them on the 29th and expect them to make it in time. I reserve the right to return any overdue cards, untraded, to their creators.
- Please do your best work. Nothing rushed or messy and make sure all regular ATC guidelines are adhered to.
- Cards should be enclosed in a plastic sleeve. But if you can't get them, I do have spares.
- Please make sure your username and real name are on the back of your cards, also on your postal envelope AND address label.
- Please send a NEATLY PRINTED (hand or computer) address label. No envelopes required.
- Loose stamps, $1 US or money via Paypal is greatly appreciated (although I do have to Paypal fees on these). They are not necessary, but will help ease my burden of postage. The reason numbers are limited is because posting from NZ to anywhere else in the world is rather expensive ($2.40 per letter outside of Australia). Please no Western Union. I don't know what to do with them and neither does my bank.
- Hostess ATCs are greatly appreciated. Other bribes accepted too. Please no ephemera or craft scraps however, as I personally illustrate more than other crafts.
- Please ensure your cards are securely packaged and not just thrown into the envelope. Any 3-card holders or cardboard backings will be re-used in your returns.
Also, because my swaps have limited places - If you join up, do not withdraw and do not send in your cards, then you will receive a NEUTRAL feedback.
So, who wishes to join me in predicting the wildlife of our future?
(guinea pigs) RECEIVED RETURNS
(hedgehogs) RECEIVED RETURNS
(horses) RECEIVED RETURNS
(wolves/dogs) RECEIVED RETURNS
(foxes) RECEIVED RETURNS
(pigs) RECEIVED RETURNS
(cats) RECEIVED RETURNS
(jerboa) RECEIVED RETURNS
(parrots) RECEIVED RETURNS
(sharks) RECEIVED RETURNS