SONGBIRD SERIES: Broadbills, due Aug. 20, 2015

G

goatgirl

Inactive
Swap Due Date: August 20, 2015

Signup/withdraw date - open; please be sure to notify me ASAP if you need to withdraw so we can open up any spots for people who might be on a waiting list. No cards and lack of communication will result in neutral i-trader.

Number of Cards - 3 for 3
Number of participants: 30
Medium:
Open to all original work except 100% digital/photography; standard 2.5 X 3.5" Please do more than just put the image of the bird on your card. Challenge yourself--use lots of layers, elements, and different mediums--do something your fellow swappers will love to add to their collection!

SWAP DIRECTIONS:

I am wrapping up my Birds of the Alphabet series, but there are so many amazing birds out there I decided to host another series focusing on songbirds. Each swap in this series will focus on a specific type/family of songbird.

For this swap, make three REALISTIC bird cards (a different bird on each card) from the BROADBILL family. Some of these birds have amazing nests and beautiful eggs--you may also include those on your cards, but the bird should be the primary focus. It would also be great if you caught birds in flight, or eating, or doing something other than just sitting on a branch (although it's fine if they are)--this will help add variety to your collection!

For example, you might send in a Black-capped Broadbill, an African Green Broadbill, and a Banded Broadbill. (There's also the Long-tailed Broadbill, Silver-breasted Broadbill, Dusky Broadbill, Black and Red Broadbill, Black and Yellow Broadbill, among others). Please be sure to include the NAME of the bird on the back of your card (you can include it on the front if you wish, but that is optional).

I will swap effort for effort, and generally medium for medium, although there may be some variation in your returns depending on how many people sign up to play.

Please do more than just put the image of the bird on your card. Challenge yourself--use lots of layers, elements, and different mediums--do something your fellow swappers will love to add to their collection!

If you are able, please post images of your ATCs to the thread so we can enjoy your artwork. Also, please let me know when you put your ATCs in the mail, as this helps me keep track of things.

Check out some of these broadbills--they are gorgeous!

http://www.chicagonow.com/greenamajigger/files/2012/07/fishbit-black-and-red-broadbills.jpeg
https://drscdn.500px.org/photo/7859982/m=1170/e48a163d1e82ff2f4e4a805fd884dc6d
https://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llfm20QseW1qeeqk5o1_500.jpg
http://www.mountainsbeyond.org/Natu...Broadbills/_MG_8088-DuskyBroadbill-100209.jpg

MAILING INSTRUCTIONS: Be sure to send forever stamps, or use/send adequate postage!

1. Please enclose each ATC in a protective sleeve; mail your cards in a business-sized envelope, and send a self-addressed, business-sized envelope with a forever postage stamp. THIS IS IMPORTANT! Smaller envelopes do not handle the extra thickness of several ATCs very well. I've had too many small envelopes arrive at my house partially opened on one end. If you use embellishments or thick plastic ATC holders that require your envelope to be hand-canceled because of bumpiness, extra thickness, rigidity, or extra weight, you must include an additional 22 cents PER ATC.

International participants, please send $1 (U.S.) or loose U.S. postage (global stamp), along with a large self-addressed envie. If you use embellishments or thick plastic ATC holders that require your envelope to be hand-canceled because of bumpiness, extra thickness, rigidity, or extra weight, you must include an additional 22 cents PER ATC.
2. Please be sure to put my address in the top left-hand corner of your return envelope.

3. Label both envelopes with your AFA name and swap name. Also, be sure to include this information on the back of each ATC, and enclose each in an ATC sleeve.

4. I am an on-time hostess! Be sure to mail in plenty of time so your cards reach me before the deadline. Late cards or cards not following these guidelines/postage will be returned to the owner.

5. Please do NOT tape your envelope to death! If you tape the flap closed, please leave at least an inch free on either end so I can easily tear open your envelope without damaging the cards inside.

6. When you receive your cards for the swap, remember to leave iTrader for the Host (me) and Rep Points for the people you received cards from. Just click on the blue link for each person's name!

Participants:
1. slaphappyturtle received
2. TrinaLD received
3. Seascape131 received
4. Sophie's mom received
5. HiddenTreasure2010 received
6. Canadarosebud received
7. mcgillisj received
8. Dee received
9. mynameisJenn withdrawn
10. Anviss received

Last edited:
Yay! Welcome to you all--prayer at night--I hope you'll find some time so you can come back and play with us! :)

You are welcome!

For those of you who like to work ahead, keep an eye out for #2 in this series--it should be posted shortly. . .

They really are beautiful! Wish I had time to draw them
The green magpie (first reference image) is not a broadbill however, it's a corvid.

Welcome Canadarosebud!

Thanks for keeping me straight, lemurkat--I deleted it. I guess I need to do my homework a little better when it comes to googling images! :)

I love green magpies - I've drawn a few in Corvid swaps! That's how I know.
If I wasn't busy drawing zoo animals for a sorta-commission I'd be totally jumping into these trades. As it is, I've let my animal-a-day project slide again...sketching African animals instead...

Back
Top Bottom