ATCsforALL Forums
Home Forum Card Gallery Swap Gallery FAQ About Us Register Now!

Old 08-18-2017, 01:10 PM
The Art Machine

My Mood:
Pabkins is on the road to famePabkins is on the road to famePabkins is on the road to famePabkins is on the road to famePabkins is on the road to famePabkins is on the road to fame
iTrader Rating: 87/100%
Smile Papercut Illustration ATC Swap - Due: Oct 20th, 2017

Swap Due Date - Oct 20, 2017
Signup by / Drop by Date - None, Just communicate!
Number of Cards - 3 for 3
Number of participants - 30

Papercut Illustration ATC Swap - Due: Oct 20th, 2017

READ ENTIRE POST BEFORE JOINING!

Art by Pabkins

Swap Theme Rules:
  • [b]This is NOT a collage Swap. PLEASE SEE EXAMPLES in this post! All papercuts added to your card MUST be hand created by you. Your goal is to create an illustration from papercut.
  • This means NO Stickers, no photos, clippings, magazines, ephemera etc. YOU CAN add HANDRAWN/HANDPAINTED as well as papercut to your card.
  • The goal is to make an illustration, any sort of illustration is fine, a creature, a person, a scene, some plants, be creative but it must resemble something.
  • You should still be taking up the majority of ATC with papercut art. Meaning, don't cut a heart or simple shape out and glue it down. That is not an acceptable effort. Please rise to the challenge of the swap as that is what makes it fun as well as fair.
  • It cannot be random cut patterns onto a paper.
  • It must be some form of object/person/place/thing but please be as creative as possible & challenge yourself! When first trying papercut simple is fine but you'd be surprised of what you can accomplish after you give it a few tries you'll soon find that you'll want to get more and more intricate with it!
  • You can draw/paint or you can choose to do only papercut, however a main focus of your card MUST be papercut art. This means if you decide to draw/paint/color a picture then you must have papercut art as a main part of your card. Please ask questions if confused/B]

Art by Pabkins

Examples of papercut art - all can be seen in my pinterest board:
- papercut silhouette cards like the ones pictured
- drawings/paintings with a overlay top layer of papercut like the ones pictured
- illustrations created from layers and pieces of cardstock
- Please see the PINTEREST BOARD for more examples

example if you want to draw/paint with papercut
Art by Pabkins

Please challenge yourselves! This is your chance to shine & create beautiful papercut art as the focus is not on drawing, you don't even have to color, let the paper and colors paper be your strength. I LOVE to papercut and I want to share that love by encouraging others to try it. You will be amazed at the beautiful pieces you can create.

General Advice and Tips on Papercutting:
  • Use thinner paper for the paper you are cutting. The thicker the paper the more likely you are to snap the tips of your blade.
  • When designing your papercut (if you are doing a silhouette style) all of your lines must connect! So that when you are done you are left with a single piece. If you are layers then of course your lines do not have to connect.
  • For Silhouette style cutting - The side you cut on is going to be flipped and be what is the back. That is what gets glued down to your paper.
  • Wear Eye Protection!! Especially if you are using thicker paper blades snap frequently and I can speak from very personal experience that blade tips WILL snap and your eyes are precious (I have had a tip fly into my eye, no joke)
  • I personally recommend these two blades but Xacto works fine if that is what you have already (I just have a personal dislike for them as their blades snap frequently for me)
  • Make sure you have plenty of extra blades as you'll likely have to change it at least once during a project, twice if you used thicker paper
  • NT Cutter
  • Deleter Tone Knife
  • You MUST mount your final papercut onto a sturdier piece of cardstock as it will be very flimsy. I highly highly recommend you NOT use a glue stick. You will tear your papercut and it will get messy and likely become over saturated. If you use a small glue pen that will work but the places you add glue to will likely be dry already by the time you are ready to mount it. For that reason I highly recommend a can of aerosol spray adhesive. Spray it on the back of your papercut and gently lay it on your final ATC. I like this brand because it is light, not too tacky but adheres really nice. Krylon Super Quick Grip Adhesive Spray.

Awesome Video tuturials:
- Eversea Designs - A series of numbered videos

Do you need inspiration? Click this link to to see a Papercut Art Pinterest board.

Art by Pabkins

Rules of the Swap:
  • Original Work Only! - Hand Drawn / Hand Painted Only. - no embellishments, stickers, jewels, stamps, no collage of photos, magazine clippings, no stencils. Paper cut additions must be made from cardstock, rice paper, text print cardstock, patterned cardstock.
  • Please do NOT rush your cards. Please do your best effort as I swap based on effort for effort keeping in mind composition and detail.
  • No copies, do not submit prints, trace or create virtually identical cards.
  • Signup in the thread below.
  • Card must be standard ATC size with straight edges: 2.5” x 3.5”
  • - No cards that fold out beyond that size!
  • - No bulky cards it MUST fit comfortably into a penny sleeve
  • - No altered playing cards
  • Cards must be individually sleeved
  • Please no flimsy or floppy cards.
  • On the back of the card, please include at least:
  • your user name
  • your real name and
  • Date
  • Host cards would be treasured but are not required! I also try to put in extra cards or stickers in returns whenever I have some in my stash

Mailing & Postage Info:
  • When you're ready to mail, please PM me for my address.
  • I can provide return envelopes, but if you are able to send a sturdy SASE please do, otherwise just the below postage based on U.S. or international below.
  • Please include a large sticky label or paper with your Return address written NEATLY on it. If you don't have a sticky label a plain piece of paper is fine and I'll tape it to the envelope.
  • Postage :
  • U.S. Residents - please include what it cost you to mail. It should be 1 forever stamp as your cards really shouldn't be bulky or weigh much
  • International Residents - I'd appreciate if you could please paypal me $1.15 USD via friends and family method or you can send $1-2 or a US global postage stamp.
  • Please mail on time for it to reach me by the due date.
  • On the back of your envelope, please write down the swap name and your user name.
  • Please comment in the thread when you've mailed so I know to expect them.
  • If you don't withdraw and don't communicate I must give neutral iTrader.

When you receive your returns:
- Please leave an iTrader for me (the host) - it is a courtesy and if you haven't left my itrader in the past then please do so before asking to join.
- Give "You Rock" points for the artists whose cards you receive.
- I will have a direct link below in the signup list for each artist where you can click and leave You Rocks points.

Thanks so much for reading and have fun with the papercutting!

Art by Pabkins

THE PLAYERS:
  • Pabkins
  1. sheala.draws
  2. Zongela
  3. ann_stebbing - RECD
  4. bluevioletz
  5. RickP
  6. plumhill2001 - RECD
  7. Angelmuz
  8. TrinaLD
  9. yonawrites
  10. alexrm15
  11. stonebandit - RECD
  12. heymaggie
  13. moolric
  14. RaeK75
  15. ArbitraryStar
  16. bearskalot

Last edited by Pabkins; 09-20-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:55 PM
The Art Machine

My Mood:
Pabkins is on the road to famePabkins is on the road to famePabkins is on the road to famePabkins is on the road to famePabkins is on the road to famePabkins is on the road to fame
Wooohoo this swap is officially open!
Old 08-18-2017, 10:06 PM
Comic Book Hero

sheala.draws is an ATC god(ess)sheala.draws is an ATC god(ess)sheala.draws is an ATC god(ess)sheala.draws is an ATC god(ess)sheala.draws is an ATC god(ess)sheala.draws is an ATC god(ess)sheala.draws is an ATC god(ess)sheala.draws is an ATC god(ess)sheala.draws is an ATC god(ess)sheala.draws is an ATC god(ess)sheala.draws is an ATC god(ess)
iTrader Rating: 304/100%
Yes please
Old 08-18-2017, 10:10 PM
ATC Virtuoso

ineedtocreate is the envy of them allineedtocreate is the envy of them allineedtocreate is the envy of them allineedtocreate is the envy of them allineedtocreate is the envy of them allineedtocreate is the envy of them allineedtocreate is the envy of them allineedtocreate is the envy of them allineedtocreate is the envy of them allineedtocreate is the envy of them allineedtocreate is the envy of them all
iTrader Rating: 238/100%
Officially lurking. This looks like so much fun. When you say thin paper, exactly what kind of paper do you use?
Luke 1:37 "For nothing will be impossible with God.
Etsy Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/LindaReidArt
Instagram: lindareidart
Old 08-18-2017, 11:53 PM
The Art Machine

My Mood:
Welcome Sheala.draws!

Ineedtocreate I use Canson mixed media paper as I've found it's not too thick and not too thin. If you watch the tutorial videos she has wonderful recommendations about the types of paper weights are ideal. But your best bet is to try a few of your papers you have around in your art supply stash and see what thickness/thinness you like. I like to draw on top of mine and sometimes cut thin lines so I've found the mixed media paper to be a good thickness for me. Here is a link they sell it at micheals
Old 08-19-2017, 04:21 AM
formerly Decals_gal

My Mood:
Kimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of art
iTrader Rating: 400/100%
Pabkins, your samples above are absolutely stunning...omgosh!...and I esp. love the hd/hp castle one....they are so elegant!

I'm lurking at the moment, however. I'll experiment first.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:46 AM
Always inspired by colour.

My Mood:
ann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them allann_stebbing is the envy of them all
iTrader Rating: 249/100%
I'd like to lurk and have a play too. I've only tried this once.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:03 AM
The Art Machine

My Mood:
Ok Kimmi and Ann, I hope that you'll have fun with the experiments and get lured in.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:09 PM
I make stuff with my hands.

IamWhatonearth is a grand poobahIamWhatonearth is a grand poobahIamWhatonearth is a grand poobahIamWhatonearth is a grand poobahIamWhatonearth is a grand poobahIamWhatonearth is a grand poobahIamWhatonearth is a grand poobahIamWhatonearth is a grand poobahIamWhatonearth is a grand poobahIamWhatonearth is a grand poobahIamWhatonearth is a grand poobah
iTrader Rating: 276/100%
I'd definitely love some papercut cards but I don't know if I have the time for this yet, lurking for now.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:21 PM
The Art Machine

My Mood:
That would be great! I hope you're able to join Iamwhatonearth
Old 08-19-2017, 05:16 PM
I create therefore I know I am

My Mood:
Bluesky clearly spends too much time on the forumsBluesky clearly spends too much time on the forumsBluesky clearly spends too much time on the forumsBluesky clearly spends too much time on the forumsBluesky clearly spends too much time on the forumsBluesky clearly spends too much time on the forumsBluesky clearly spends too much time on the forumsBluesky clearly spends too much time on the forumsBluesky clearly spends too much time on the forumsBluesky clearly spends too much time on the forumsBluesky clearly spends too much time on the forums
iTrader Rating: 171/100%
Lurking
Old 08-19-2017, 06:22 PM
The Art Machine

My Mood:
I'm beginning to think it will be a thread full of lurkers and hardly any players! I hope you all decide to play!
Old 08-19-2017, 06:31 PM
Rookie

Zongela is on the road to fameZongela is on the road to fameZongela is on the road to fameZongela is on the road to fameZongela is on the road to fameZongela is on the road to fameZongela is on the road to fame
iTrader Rating: 27/100%
Ya know what? Sign me up! Im already signed up for another swap and Im going to try to make moving parts in an ATC, so why not try this too lol

I hope I can make something even half as beautiful as your examples!

I saw this image on Tumblr the other day and it got me thinking of using negative space with cool backgrounds. I am in awe of this bunny tho (definitely not done by me but is beautiful nonetheless)

https://puu.sh/xepK3/b1ad0fd2b3.png

Last edited by Zongela; 08-19-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:46 PM
The Art Machine

My Mood:
I'm jumping for joy Zongela!! Thanks so much for diving right in! I know you can make something even more beautiful then mine or that bunny!!
Old 08-19-2017, 07:35 PM
formerly Decals_gal

My Mood:
Kimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of artKimmie eats, sleeps, and dreams of art
I must admit...that bunny is unreal! I wonder how long it took to cut that out!!??!!
Old 08-19-2017, 07:37 PM
The Art Machine

My Mood:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
I must admit...that bunny is unreal! I wonder how long it took to cut that out!!??!!
Seriously!! It makes me want to give one like that a try!

Thats what I love about papercuting its just so beautiful and so many different ways to do it. As colors papers illustrations, as silhouettes, as pop up accents, omg so many pretty things on that pinterest board I put together. I was foaming at the arts every time I found new pretties to add!
Old 08-19-2017, 07:37 PM
formerly Decals_gal

My Mood:
OK, question....please....
I'm taking it that I would do my light pencil sketch, and cut out the blank spaces, leaving the actual line drawings in place? (man, whimsical is so hard for me and I don't know why!)
Old 08-19-2017, 07:47 PM
The Art Machine

My Mood:
OK, question....please....
I'm taking it that I would do my light pencil sketch, and cut out the blank spaces, leaving the actual line drawings in place? (man, whimsical is so hard for me and I don't know why!)
Oh Kimmie! don't worry about the Whimsical really essentially even that bunny in this case would be whimsical. I'll update the thread that any illustration in this case would do. I'll ask an admin to update the Swap thread title to remove "whimsical"

If you want to make a Teapot, a flower garden, a anything really as long as it is an illustration of some kind and not say a "formless random cutting with no discernible picture"

I think papercutting in of itself is whimsical.

Ok now onto your question.

I highly recommend watching the tutorial videos but yes. Remember that if you are doing silhouette style papercutting like my example then all of your lines must connect for the pieces you want to stay together and yes cut away the negative space. You would have to have thick lines tho if you are going to do it that way. What I do is I draw a picture in say a blue pencil or regular pencil and then once its done I draw another line next to it to "thicken" the entire line art. If it helps you can lightly shade in the negative space that you are going to CUT AWAY. Don't shade in the area that is going to stay as your final piece as that might show thru the paper when you flip it over. Try a few very simple practice ones first.

I'm available if you want any help or feedback too!
Old 08-19-2017, 07:57 PM
formerly Decals_gal

My Mood:
Ok, I'll check out some videos, but your explaination is terrific...I'll have to try it and see what happens, then if it's do-able for me, I'll join up if there's any spots left! Thank you for taking the time to explain it...and don't worry about changing any "whimsical" thing on my account!...lol, I've just always been one of those who are drawn to realism. (pun intended)

Last edited by Kimmie; 08-19-2017 at 07:57 PM. Reason: I can't spell for the life of me...
Old 08-19-2017, 07:59 PM
The Art Machine

My Mood:
No worries at all I do think the "whimsical" isn't really necessary so I have already asked admins to remove it. Any drawing you want to do and turn into a papercut is fine. I just didn't want random cut pieces of paper that didn't resemble anything haha.

I know you can do it! And hey did you just have a baby!!!? I hope all is well! And you must must join, I will capture you someday.

Tags
fantasy, papercut, whimsical